• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Heal well, and think and watch skiing. I swear I get better just thinking about it. In bed the other night, I visualized making quick turns and my fast twitch muscles felt like they got a workout.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
So is the PCL gone or torn, Mike? One of my knee injuries (not skiing) was a "strain" of the PCL that the ortho "whispered" meant partial separation of fibers. The knee remained reasonably stable and I could return to skiing with a reinforced soft brace when it was no longer painful to do so. The pain was from the same sort of "strain" of the MCL.

Last edited:
TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
So is the PCL gone or torn, Mike? One of my knee injuries (not skiing) was a "strain" of the PCL that the ortho "whispered" meant partial separation of fibers. The knee remained reasonably stable and I could return to skiing with a reinforced soft brace when it was no longer painful to do so. The pain was from the same sort of "strain" of the MCL.
It’s a high grade tear, so something like 75+ percent torn...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry to hear this MIke. I never like seeing anyone get hurt, and especially not lose their season. :(

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Sorry to hear this Mike, I hope you have the best recovery possible.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s a high grade tear, so something like 75+ percent torn...

So I assume you have a few weeks of rest and then Physical Therapy in your future? My experience is the pcl heals pretty well absent a complete tear, though 75% is pretty significant.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
So... you can make a workers comp claim for something that happened in training? Here in Stowe (and I assume all other Vail Resorts) we’d be SOL. Do you guys get paid during training? Ski in uniform? Inquiring minds want to know!

TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
So... you can make a workers comp claim for something that happened in training? Here in Stowe (and I assume all other Vail Resorts) we’d be SOL. Do you guys get paid during training? Ski in uniform? Inquiring minds want to know!
Yes I’m eligible for workman’s comp even though I had already been paid for all of my eligible paid training hours (25). We also train in uniform as it is believed that we are safer as the general public pays more attention to those in uniform — seems to be some anecdotal evidence that this is true.

While Vail Resorts insists that instructors not train in uniform, are not paid for training, and are not eligible for workman’s comp for training related injuries at its Colorado resorts, a workman’s comp attorney whose practice is for defendants thinks that they are wrong and a claimant would prevail if Vail was challenged for denying a training related claim. Of course, the claimant would likely be blackballed from future employment.

Mike

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Sounds like your positive attitude is going to go a long way toward a good recovery....best of luck for the months ahead. :thumb:

TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
It's coming along, but no where near ready for prime time. I've started strengthening, but it is pretty pathetic -- I'm allowed to ride a stationary bike for 20 minutes at a very low resistance level. The shoulder is improving, I can lift my arm over my head, but I have no strength in external rotation. I will get to start strengthening the shoulder tomorrow, one month after the accident.

Sponsor