• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm curious as to how these things work - have the med bills been picked up on SkiCo insurance or did your insurer have to claim of fthe lady who hit you (who presumably had the same employment insurance with 3rd party liability).

Skico pays the bills. Since person who hit him is also Skico employee, he can’t recover against her. If a non Skico employee hit him, he could recover from the 3rd party and would have to reimburse Skico for a portion of what they paid.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
The knee is definitely progressing well. I'm quite happy with it's progress. The shoulder is slow as the doctor said it would be. External rotation is still quite weak (but better than it was) and the first few degrees of shoulder flexion are as well. I'm working on scapular stability. I'm optimistic, even if it is still a bit early to expect much improvement.

Thanks for asking!

Mike

So you've had some time on skis again, right, Mike? Knee function OK? Still waiting for shoulder nerve regrowth?

TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
4 days on snow so far. The knee seems to be fairing ok although I do have a bit of pain after 2.5-3 hours of skiing. We will see how it goes after we open when I will start skiing consecutive days.

On the shoulder, I think I'm definitely gaining strength (finally), but there still is some impairment that may resolve either with conditioning or nerve regrowth. So, I don't have a final answer on it yet.

Thanks for asking!

Mike

TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Yep. Just finished 5 straight. Today was a short day as I’m on my way back to the front range as my daughter is coming for a visit. Probably a good thing as there’s a fair amount of lower leg soreness. The knee seems to be holding up so far.
I have a follow up EMG study on Monday to measure the progress of my shoulder post surgery, but I think it is getting a lot better.

how are you finding park city?

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
Air is good as long as I'm healthy. Currently have what the doctor called a viral chest infection with fluid in one lung, so I'm sitting next to one of my oxygen concentrators to keep my blood oxygen concentration in the 90s. With reduced lung capacity, it goes to low 80s. Only skied two afternoons on snow very similar to the man made I grew up on in Michigan.

TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Sorry to hear that, Kneale. Being on oxygen sucks, so I hope you quickly get over it. I presume you have a spirometer -- it's your friend and a part of flushing the stuff out of your lung and regaining lung function. Here's to a speedy return to teaching and learning the Park City terrain!

Mike

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep. A pretty significant custom brace from Breg. It doesn't seem to provide too much of a hindrance at the moment, and perhaps keeps some of the crepitus of turning into pain, but who knows?
I skied most of last season (and a few days this year) with a ShockDoctor brace for a partially torn MCL. After a while you don't even notice it. I'm guessing mine isn't nearly as burly as yours as mine was just a lateral movement brace. I'm guessing your's is a range of motion type. No matter what you're still on the snow! WOOHOO!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
How's things going for you @Kneale? On the snow now? Enjoying Heber City?
The lung infection originally diagnosed as viral turned out to be bacterial. I've been through two different medication regimens and still have some coughing and cannot oxygenate properly. I've been hooked up to oxygen concentrators almost continuously since early December. Physician says he referred me to a pulmonologist Jan 2, but nothing's happened. I just messaged the cardiologist I see this morning to ask him to refer me to a pulmonologist. No pulmonologists near by see new patients without a referral.

Heber City suited our needs just fine--I could breathe normally and have normal blood oxygenation here all spring, summer and fall until I went to indoor training at PCMR and had to share a relatively small room with a bunch of people including one who kept coughing and spitting into a wastebasket.

I've gotten to ski parts of two afternoons as part of my training here, and have only ridden a couple lifts and skied a couple slopes. I haven't been able to work. I've missed eight of my scheduled days so far.

TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
The lung infection originally diagnosed as viral turned out to be bacterial. I've been through two different medication regimens and still have some coughing and cannot oxygenate properly. I've been hooked up to oxygen concentrators almost continuously since early December. Physician says he referred me to a pulmonologist Jan 2, but nothing's happened. I just messaged the cardiologist I see this morning to ask him to refer me to a pulmonologist. No pulmonologists near by see new patients without a referral.

Heber City suited our needs just fine--I could breathe normally and have normal blood oxygenation here all spring, summer and fall until I went to indoor training at PCMR and had to share a relatively small room with a bunch of people including one who kept coughing and spitting into a wastebasket.

I've gotten to ski parts of two afternoons as part of my training here, and have only ridden a couple lifts and skied a couple slopes. I haven't been able to work. I've missed eight of my scheduled days so far.
That's a bummer Kneale. I hope they get it sorted out shortly and you are back in the rotation quickly!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well wishes to you Kneale.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink