• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think this thread is waaaaay underestimating the number of EC IKON holders who want a not-too-hard, not-too-much-powder Western holiday to complement their Stratton days.

Hey, I resemble that statement.

Bachelor is a Powdr resort, so not a small mom and pop.

Do the folks back at Powdr headquarter know they own Bachelor?
They certainly don't act like it.

Last edited:

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Bachelor is a Powdr resort, so not a small mom and pop. It’s actually pretty big, 4300 lift-served acres, 3300+ lift served vertical, 465” annual snowfall and most of it drier than typical PNW snow. Mostly HSQ chairlifts. It doesn’t have particularly gnarly terrain, with a lot of rolling tree-lined intermediate terrain, but the summit area is a lot of fun, and the NW pod has more challenge, some of my favorite skiing terrain anywhere.

Another Powdr resort I’d like to be included on the Ikon pass is Silver Star in BC.
Ahh that makes sense, they obviously have a direct line between Powdr and Alterra in the CEO's offices given their current relationship.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think this thread is waaaaay underestimating the number of EC IKON holders who want a not-too-hard, not-too-much-powder Western holiday to complement their Stratton days.

I could be wrong, but I don't see them picking up much of that crowd. Casual skiers coming from the east want to go to the Rockies, maybe California. Very few look to the PNW at all, other than Whistler. Also, the lack of lodging anywhere within 30 min of the ski area will probably turn off the vast majority of that crowd. Don't get me wrong, Bachelor is an awesome mountain and Bend is an equally cool town. But I don't think their target market is casual skiers from the east coast.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
“Not too much powder”
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Bachelor gets more snow than anyplace in CO, and more than most of the resorts in UT.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
“Not too much powder”
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Bachelor gets more snow than anyplace in CO, and more than most of the resorts in UT.

You guys call that s*** you guys get up in the PNL (Pacific North Left) powder? :duck: Feels more like the 5,000 PSI stuff that comes out of the back end of a ready mix truck.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
I could be wrong, but I don't see them picking up much of that crowd. Casual skiers coming from the east want to go to the Rockies, maybe California. Very few look to the PNW at all, other than Whistler. Also, the lack of lodging anywhere within 30 min of the ski area will probably turn off the vast majority of that crowd. Don't get me wrong, Bachelor is an awesome mountain and Bend is an equally cool town. But I don't think their target market is casual skiers from the east coast.
Plus - Portland is not flight friendly from the EC. Then - a 3 hour drive to Bend. Yuk.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You guys call that s*** you guys get up in the PNL (Pacific North Left) powder? :duck: Feels more like the 5,000 PSI stuff that comes out of the back end of a ready mix truck.
Ah, but you see, Bachelor has elevation (base at 6,000’ and summit around 9,000’) and it’s location on the crest of the Cascades mean the cold dry air from the east mixes with the moisture coming from the west, and the snow is not the Cascade Concrete you have come to love tolerate, it’s actually pretty dry most of the time.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Plus - Portland is not flight friendly from the EC. Then - a 3 hour drive to Bend. Yuk.
Actually the Redmond, OR airport is pretty convenient, though it’s a small regional airport and connecting flights go though SLC and Denver, as well as ORD.

I don’t really expect Bachelor to be much of a draw for EC hoards, but could be a new destination for the lunatic fringe, you know, us.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah, but you see, Bachelor has elevation (base at 6,000’ and summit around 9,000’) and it’s location on the crest of the Cascades mean the cold dry air from the east mixes with the moisture coming from the west, and the snow is not the Cascade Concrete you have come to love tolerate, it’s actually pretty dry most of the time.

Personally, I love cascade concrete. A much maligned substance. I finished my second week of three planned at Crystal before they shut it down.
I've skied Bachelor before. Not my kind of hill. Need more gravity. I'll stick with Crystal.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Actually the Redmond, OR airport is pretty convenient, though it’s a small regional airport and connecting flights go though SLC and Denver, as well as ORD.

I don’t really expect Bachelor to be much of a draw for EC hoards, but could be a new destination for the lunatic fringe, you know, us.
Thanks for the hint. :thumb:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

It's not terrible to fly. Nowhere nearly as much of a PITA to fly to as Montana, Wyoming or Calgary. Even with the drive it's easier to get to than most of the Alberta/interior BC resorts.

Pretty much every one of the ski clubs around here used to do a Bachelor trip as a not-terribly-technical mellow option. Epic and IKON passes changed that. Now it will change back.

Yep, herself agrees with you and wants to go back.

"Great base building snow, not too much powder" <- a direct quote. Feel free to argue it with her :ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin::mask:

Last edited:

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's not terrible to fly. And even with the drive it's easier to get to than most of the Alberta/BC resorts.
A few summers ago we were planning a family summer vacation in OR (Mt Hood for summer skiing) and found flights expensive and erratic. We started to consider flying into Seattle and driving to Portland to start our OR vacation. We ended up flying into Seattle and vacationed in WA. We are still looking to vacation in OR.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
A few summers ago we were planning a family summer vacation in OR (Mt Hood for summer skiing) and found flights expensive and erratic

That's a shame.

We have direct flights from both DCA and BWI to PDX in under 6 hours nonstop. Generally the only problem is finding a place with late (read: early am) reception hours in Bend.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This is great news. Bachelor was a hard sell before. No lodging near lifts, expensive lift tickets but now at least one hurdle is removed. I think when I switch back to Ikon in season after next, I will plan a trip to Bachelor.
Indeed! If we travel this season, it will be to Bachelor for sure. I have been wanting to go there and to visit some good friends in Redmond. Usually, we go in the summer ... now, I'm thinking spring sometime.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
A few summers ago we were planning a family summer vacation in OR (Mt Hood for summer skiing) and found flights expensive and erratic. We started to consider flying into Seattle and driving to Portland to start our OR vacation. We ended up flying into Seattle and vacationed in WA. We are still looking to vacation in OR.

Alaska Airlines has daily non-stops PDX-EWR so does United. I have family in the NY-NJ area never been a problem getting a flight.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Not sure where @marjoram_sage gets "expensive lift tickets". This season was the first time walkup tickets were over $96 AFAIK. And free days, then buy one get one free have been available from going to ski movies in Northern CA.

I've had bad luck with Summit at Bachelor, which gives access to a lot of the mountain and some of their best sustained 'steeps'. It was only open two of the six days I have skied there in last seven years. I had one of three days on two trips in February although Northwest is a lot of fun on mid-week powder day. I also only had Summit open on one of three days over two trips in late April including one where I skipped Bachelor on the way to Whistler as predicted high winds would have kept it closed, then it didn't open when I was there on nice day on way back due to mechanical failure.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier

What are you smoking? While the pandemic has gutted flights to just above zero, they will eventually return. In normal times, PDX has 7 nonstop Flights a day from NYC, 2 from BOS, 2 from WAS. As a bicoastal person, formerly PDX/NYC now PDX/PHL, while there's no nonstop from PHL now (2 daily in Summer), getting to PDX is easy. Then you take the bus right from the PDX airport to Bend.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
This is not a great deal for Mt Bachelor season pass holders. Bachelor is an Ikon partner resort so still has a separate adult season pass at $959 with no resort exchange privileges. The Outplay 365 pass at $1428 includes Ikon Base Pass, which only makes sense if you also use the resort for summer activities. At least before you could rationalize the premium season pass price with the almost non-existent lift lines in the outer areas (NW Express, Outback, Cloud Chaser). I know this is NIMBY, but with the increased crowds due to Ikon, kind of sours things.

Sponsor