• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Makes me wonder how they stayed open all these years without Ikon? Big Sky sees about $53 off of an Ikon scan which isn't big money compared to folks driving from WA, MN, SD and ND paying for lodging and ticket combinations.
They weren't afraid to fly. This year may be totally different. BS was still included as a regular price area. JH and Aspen were add-ons. It seems like IKON is trying to sweeten the deal a bit.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I still see the add-on, scroll down a bit. Renewal Base Pass plus add-on $749.
YOU ARE RIGHT!

I was going to copy that piece to the post, it was gone!

It was probably a typo. Now it read: “Ikon base holder can... with the purchase of...”, the last part wasn’t there 10 minutes ago!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
They weren't afraid to fly. This year may be totally different. BS was still included as a regular price area. JH and Aspen were add-ons. It seems like IKON is trying to sweeten the deal a bit.

My take is that the $150+ base pass for JH and Aspen only was to reduce overcrowding at JH and maintain the feeling of exclusiveness at Aspen by also limiting crowds. So with the CV pretty much assuring a limiting of crowds for 2021, then no need for $150 surcharge.

Edit: My email from Ikon still wants the $150 premium on the base pass for JH and Aspen so ignore the above paragraph.

Also it looks like only the child pass spring discount ends May 27, but no mention of when the adult discount offer ends???
From the Ikon email: "To take advantage of the lowest prices and discounts on child passes, purchase your 20/21 Ikon Pass before May 27, 2020". Maybe it is just poor, confusing sentence structure. Perhaps I should let Ikon know that I am available as a proof reader/editor.:ogbiggrin:

CV also makes spring pass sales even more important, not just for cash flow but also to get a handle on what skiers visits/reduced income might look like for 2021. So, the buy now at a discount but get to make a deferral until 2022 season in the fall is a savvy move by Ikon.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
You can't possibly have expected a response much different to the one you received, right? From the way you framed your "question", I assume you already fully understood their policy and you were just trying to make a point.

Got a better response than I was expecting as did all Ikon customers. You can thank me later/ curse me for doucheing up your hill/ slash my tires for plague spreading etc.....

And yeah sure my question in my second email was a rhetorical device in case someone with brainpower and empowerment got to read it not a negotiation. It's just sometimes better to make suggestions in that way because smart people don't like things they can't answer and sometimes will think about the challenge posed.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
and as posted elsewhere... you can't quarantine it either.

"You can't quarantine stupid". :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

^^^ I'm going to have to steal that.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
I feel this is targeting heavily on Colorado and Utah skiers.

Colorado skiers have Copper and Winter Park as their local, unlimited home mountain. With Aspen and Jackson added on top of A-basin and Steamboat. They WILL BE tempted.

These passes have always been most appealing to CO, UT, and to a slightly lesser extent CA and NE locals. There's just such a concentration of covered resorts in those areas that it almost doesn't make sense to not buy these passes for any frequent skier living there. That doesn't change much this year for those locals. But the mountains may rely on them a lot more this year if destination travel is interrupted.

If I was in one of those states, I'd take the current deal in a heartbeat (but probably still wait till closer to the deadline just in case).

I’m curious what Vail’s answer would be.

Probably much the same. They have to compete with Ikon so they can't make their offer too much worse. And I doubt they'll offer much more because I think the Ikon offer is already pretty solid. Who knows, maybe they'll come up with something different, but I expect them to more or less copycat.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
These passes have always been most appealing to CO, UT, and to a slightly lesser extent CA and NE locals.
That doesn't change much this year for those locals. But the mountains may rely on them a lot more this year if destination travel is interrupted.
You’re quite right.

I still haven’t quite got out of my mindset of IKON being a different pass than RMSP, which I used to buy. But you’re right, it’s a replacement. Or rather, a forced upgrade.

If I was in one of those states, I'd take the current deal in a heartbeat (but probably still wait till closer to the deadline just in case).
Now they’ve come out with an attractive offer, it’s likely the discount will be gone if you wait beyond the deadline.

Vail did it slightly different in the past, the early bird benefit was structured very differently. That’s why I’d be curious on what they do to compete.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm caving and buying a base I think. I was gonna get an epic veteran pass as it's a screaming deal and I like the east coast offerings being based in nh but ikon wins out west...specifically in utah as I plan on rolling into slc and dirtbagging for a few weeks at the end of January. I'll wait to see what epic does with all this uncertainty

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the ability to decide by December 2020 whether to use the Ikon pass in 2021 or wait to 2022 needs a name. I would call it The Warren Miller Deferral Pass. "If you don't use it this season, you will just be a year older when you do".

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A tiny side note -- I'm surprised they publish next season's info to the Ikon app.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We bought the pass. We expect to know by December 10 if there will be a season. If it looks iffy, we will defer to 21/22 and just buy day passes if we get lucky and there is a spring season. local, small, cheap mountains will likely be a preference when things do open up anyhow.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Just for laughs I looked online for airfare to Colorado next February. United is offering no fee changes for 24 months if you purchase this month and 12 months if you purchase next month. I don't know if other airlines are doing this, but if Epic does a deferral plan too, I could see reserving flights and buying a local pass, knowing we could use both in 21-22 if necessary.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
"If you don't use it this season, you will just be a year older when you do".
But perhaps less dead? :ogbiggrin:

Some of us aren’t that old. “One year older” isn’t all that different.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
But perhaps less dead?

Some of us aren’t that old. “One year older” isn’t all that different.
Eh... I've never thought the point of Warren Miller's quote isn't that you're running out of time... it's that if you're going to do it anyway, why wait? In other words, it's not a quote about old people.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Eh... I've never thought the point of Warren Miller's quote isn't that you're running out of time... it's that if you're going to do it anyway, why wait? In other words, it's not a quote about old people.
But in this case, there’s a clear answer to “why wait”.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah... that was the joke @DanoT made, I think.

Hey, that was no joke. It was a serious marketing suggestion, taking advantage of what is arguably one of the most recognizable quotes in the ski industry.

The joke part is me thinking Ikon would ever consider using Warren Miller's famous one liner.

Sponsor

Staff online