• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Will Dear Valley ever allow snowboarding?

• Never

Votes: 31 54.4%
  • This coming season 17-18

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • The following season 18-19

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • At some point after 2019

Votes: 18 31.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think boarders and skiers have reached a pretty friendly “we’re all just enjoying sliding on snow” relationship balance. My son skis but all his friends board so we have been taking them on trips for years. I love DV but haven’t been able to go because there has always been a boarder in our group. That will change in the next few years because Gavin is an adult now and planning his own travels. I don’t personally care either way. I do think DV will change their policy in the near future.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think boarders and skiers have reached a pretty friendly “we’re all just enjoying sliding on snow” relationship balance. My son skis but all his friends board so we have been taking them on trips for years. I love DV but haven’t been able to go because there has always been a boarder in our group. That will change in the next few years because Gavin is an adult now and planning his own travels. I don’t personally care either way. I do think DV will change their policy in the near future.
Id gather there are still plenty who don't feel exactly that way. Hence why DV works in that sense so that market imo would still exist and imo it wouldn't be so small either. See,....you wouldn't just have skiers who prefer not to share the mountain but also anyone who skis that wouldn't care if boards were there or not would also still go and ski a hill they like anyway. They may not care if boards are allowed or not but they ski and so as long as they like the hill they will go.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Not certain that there is a tremendous vacancy or need to "crazy eddie" discount rooms at the Stein, St Regis or Montage because of the current policy. What marginal "plus" would they get at upsetting what is already a good thing. "sold out" day ski signs during peak holiday are all you need to look at to determine the direction. Anything else is folly.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not certain that there is a tremendous vacancy or need to "crazy eddie" discount rooms at the Stein, St Regis or Montage because of the current policy. What marginal "plus" would they get at upsetting what is already a good thing. "sold out" day ski signs during peak holiday are all you need to look at to determine the direction. Anything else is folly.
you would think so........but as mentioned, dont ever underestimate what any corporation would or wouldn't do regardless what anyone else thinks might make good sense or not..lol

Utahski

Cruisin' along
Skier
I don't see it ever happening and hope it never does. One of the things that makes DV special is that there are no snowboards. People who ski there, especially locals, like it this way and there's never a shortage of people on the hill. The place is very successful and it's new owners - Aspen - are smart enough to not mess with something that's been working well for a long time.

Last edited:

Cuff

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Ajax (Aspen Mountain) didn't allow snowboarders for years, they do now...things change.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
In fact, Aspen was the last CO area to open to snowboarders. But in 1985, not a single CO area allowed snowboarding. A lot of areas were holdouts after Aspen. Taos being one. Taos lifted the ban 10 seasons ago. Was Aspen about 15 years ago?

I would not hold my breath on Alterra making a change at Deer Valley. Who knows? Anybody thought of them banning boarding at other properties, or future acquisitions? Depends on what they gain versus what they lose with a change. In terms of overall resort bottom line, and value.

Assume that it's one of many things that they probably are doing research on....or already have. And by "doing research", I mean hiring serious research consultants. Not parking lot or lift line surveys.

Last edited:

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
It is part of who they are,the vibe they want to create for their guests and that their guests seek. Same goes for Mad River.

I respect other people's choices even if I do not agree with them.

One minute we rage against the corporate feel of resorts yet the next minute we want unique resorts to change and become just like the other 99%.

Last edited:

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It is part of who they are,the vibe they want to create for their guests and that their guests seek. Same goes for Mad River.

I respect other people's choices even if I do not agree with them.

One minute we rage against the corporate feel of resorts yet the next minute we want unique resorts to change and become just like the other 99%.

Hmmm, I’m happily a 1%’er

:yahoo:

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Honestly... skiing and snowboarding are the same damn sports!

As a snowboarder, I wouldn't want a snowboarders only hill. Then I couldn't board with my skiing friends.

I don't think you'd find many non-baby boomers that cared either way. Times will change.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
No they aren't. They are two different things. Two different skill sets, two completely different ways of getting down the mountain. The only thing similar is that you get down the same hill and even that can have its differences as to just how its done and where its done. They are not at all the same sport imo. That's not to suggest either being any wrong or right but only to say they are entirely two different things other than being on/in many the same places..

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
No they aren't. They are two different things. Two different skill sets, two completely different ways of getting down the mountain. The only thing similar is that you get down the same hill and even that can have its differences as to just how its done and where its done. They are not at all the same sport imo. That's not to suggest either being any wrong or right but only to say they are entirely two different things other than being on/in many the same places..

Yeah, they are totally different. Two totally different skills. No overlap.

eled.png

Oops.

Muleski

Inactive
Yeah, they are totally different. Two totally different skills. No overlap.

View attachment 40836

Oops.

I think that Ester L might be a "bit" of an exception. I know some exceptional boarders, really exceptional. They are by their own admission pretty mediocre skiers, at best. I also know a lot of skiers who I'd say are "OK with their skiing", men and women who have skied on the USST. No Olympic SG gold like Easter, but more WC starts. I can count the number who can function on a board on about two fingers.

I think they are very different. Doesn't mean that people can't master proficiency in both {and we may see more kids doing that.....}. We have some members here who are great at both, but that's a very small group.

I think they're different. Now, I do know some good adult skiers who have boarded a little bit, at a very beginner level, because their kids boarded and they wanted to join in. Not for long. Kids are actually skiing 100% of their time, now.

The issue for Deer Valley is going to be simple. Based on their numbers, their metrics and market research do they gain or lose by opening the place up to snowboarders. Basically it's a decision that will be driven by their current customer base. It's a unique place. I have my guess as to how that exercise would play out, but there clearly are people who are passionate on both sides.

I really enjoy skiing with a friend or two who are world class on a board. They are great to watch, and they rip. I'm not really thrilled when I see boarders over-terrained, sitting, just plowing snow all the way down {no turning}, etc. It may be my experience, but I see more of them than beginner skiers who seem "lost." Probably not a fair observation on my part. But I know that it's not just me. I've been skiing with a few of mt boarding friends who have nicely tried to help boarders get down and suggested that they really should not be where they are....

That's what I bet the average loyal and frequent visitor to DV visualizes and wants to avoid. I doubt if a boarder on a carving board in hard boots, making beautiful turns, would be a problem. But what percentage of vacationing snowboarders in Utah fit that description? And the hard core locals, where would they tend to board? Would DV be an attraction? Just asking.

My hunch is no snowboarders for a while at DV.......

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
I have a friend who has raced Nor Am on skis and WC on a snowboard. He switched over to snowboarding when he realized the USST was out of reach, but it was the early days of SB, so he was super competitive. He still can show up to town league ski races and stomp everyone without any actual on hill ski time. He's not a skier, he's not a snowboarder. He's a racer. He pretty much never does either recreationally.

Muleski

Inactive
I have a friend who has raced Nor Am on skis and WC on a snowboard. He switched over to snowboarding when he realized the USST was out of reach, but it was the early days of SB, so he was super competitive. He still can show up to town league ski races and stomp everyone without any actual on hill ski time. He's not a skier, he's not a snowboarder. He's a racer. He pretty much never does either recreationally.

In the early days of Snowboard racing, I knew a number of very competitive "skiers" who made the same change and had great success. We had a number of them at CVA, and some went on to WC snowboarding. Good athletes who figured out the edge, the sidecut, etc. One of those who could snowboard pretty darn well was some kid named Miller. I often wonder if he was close to bailing on the skis, and going all in on the board. Things were a lot less "rigid" in the boarding community.

I don't think those kids of guys are what {or who} DV is wrestling with, HaHa. But wow are they fun to watch on a board {or skis}. Not sure how many DV skiers have really seen it up close.

Now Alta on a board would be tough, IMO. All of the traverses. etc. Might aggravate the skiing customers quite a bit. But then again if they saw the really skilled.....some thinking might change.

I had my eyes opened around 1992 when I saw a young guy slide off a chair wearing Lange Plug boots, on a LONG carving board. He proceeded to ride Narrow Gauge, where they had held a FIS speed week a few days earlier, as fast or faster, and I would venture in as much {or better} control as anybody out there. Laid right out, beautiful carved turns. even on the rock hard surface a very cleat track, one edge. Pretty cutting edge.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I doubt if a boarder on a carving board in hard boots, making beautiful turns, would be a problem. But what percentage of vacationing snowboarders in Utah fit that description? And the hard core locals, where would they tend to board? Would DV be an attraction? Just asking.
Well hard booters live for the turn. Rather than pushing or stomping the snow. But so do most good sliders.

I've never seen anything like this from skiers discussing CO resorts and praising Buttermilk:
------------------
CARVING – Buttermilk (Aspen) – Michelle Juneau, CAO, International and Domestic Sales Manager for Bomber Industries (22 years riding), describes Buttermilk’s appeal:

“Grooming is unbelievable and the slope pitches are perfect for carving. Trails are often empty which is ideal for laying out arcs and trench-digging fun. There’s a reason the carving community has nicknamed it ‘Buttersmooth’.”
-----------------------
http://www.elevationoutdoors.com/great-colorado-snowboard-resort-rating/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online