• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I did it too: Ebike edition

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think that e-bikes, whatever class, are brilliant for commuting. If only they could come with anti-theft of some sort so it was safer to park them when you ran into the grocery store, or were grabbing a bite to eat. Never mind that the majority of the U.S. has hideous infrastructure in place to support commuting by bicycle. We live about 3 miles from downtown Ogden, and have access to a paved river trail that we can ride into town, but we never do because we can't safely stash our very expensive bikes anywhere. Bike theft is RAMPANT in Utah EVERYWHERE.
I agree with all of this. If we had a secure place to lock leave our bikes when shopping we would but right now it is more a hassle than the benefit of using the bikes.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On the one hand I would love to have an e-bike or an electric scooter. On the other hand I feel that no activity that I do is as dangerous as bicycling. After hearing about a number of severe injuries, a couple of paralysis events and one death involving bicycles, I haven’t even taken my bicycle off of the indoor trainer this year.
You can be 100% right being in the bike lane but you could also be 100% dead right. We had road bikes for all of a week when we moved here. That didn't last long, we were too scared to ride on the roads, there are too many things out of your control on a bike and no protection from it. Going a mile or two through neighborhoods to the store is one thing but longer rides? No way in hell. This is why that we stay in the dirt.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Now they are the norm. So much the norm that I get sh*t on this forum for skiing my SL in the spring slush. :nono:
I guess most people want everyone else to be just like them. Miserable.
I don't see people giving you sh!t for skiing your SL in spring slush. I see you giving others sh!t for NOT skiing SLs in spring slush. :P

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I agree with all of this. If we had a secure place to lock leave our bikes when shopping we would but right now it is more a hassle than the benefit of using the bikes.
And we have a great bike path that goes right to the grocery store.
We rode our e-bikes to the farmers market with our back packs a few summers ago but we also had to take our cable/locks in the back packs, and were still nervous about our bikes getting stolen.
I would LOVE to take the bike for quick trips to the store, but... thieves suck.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If only they could come with anti-theft of some sort so it was safer to park them when you ran into the grocery store, or were grabbing a bite to eat.
I was thinking that the Cannondale Habit Neo had some kind of anti-theft built into it when I bought mine(which is now @Andy Mink 's bike)
I think there is a way to take the computer off, which would essentially make it useless to anyone who may snag it. I'd have to look into it to refresh my memory on that one.

As for my bike, I guess I could take the drive pack/battery out of it to make it useless, but thats a lot of weight to haul around the store.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was thinking that the Cannondale Habit Neo had some kind of anti-theft built into it when I bought mine(which is now @Andy Mink 's bike)
I think there is a way to take the computer off, which would essentially make it useless to anyone who may snag it. I'd have to look into it to refresh my memory on that one.

As for my bike, I guess I could take the drive pack/battery out of it to make it useless, but thats a lot of weight to haul around the store.
Yes, the brain comes off but leaves all the other components (shocks, gear train, etc). I believe the battery is coded to the brain so it may be useless. If there isn't a solid place to lock it up or if I can't take it in I wouldn't leave it.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd like something that the thieves know about, something like how iPhones are rendered useless if reported stolen. Once thieves find out the bike they stole with the control panel on it has very little market value, the fewer would be stolen. Or not. Again, those darned components like forks are NOT cheap. The resellers market for stolen goods is better than ever.

Still, the frame is the most expensive part by far.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thieves don't care if the battery is there or not, they will worry about that later. Most cases strip the bike for parts or bring to pawn shop for a few bucks

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't see people giving you sh!t for skiing your SL in spring slush. I see you giving others sh!t for NOT skiing SLs in spring slush. :P

Since you have mod privileges, I believe it is imperative that you edit your post to make it clear that Grump is not skiing SLs in spring slush, he is skiing FIS SLs.

Critical clarification. ;)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
<crocodiledundee>That's not a cargo bike. THIS is a cargo bike</crocodile dundee>

1696889799634.png

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I'd like something that the thieves know about, something like how iPhones are rendered useless if reported stolen. Once thieves find out the bike they stole with the control panel on it has very little market value, the fewer would be stolen. Or not. Again, those darned components like forks are NOT cheap. The resellers market for stolen goods is better than ever.

Still, the frame is the most expensive part by far.
I guess you haven't priced any carbon wheelsets lately. Up there with the frame.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Get one of these and you can tow your own bike storage locker anywhere you like.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess you haven't priced any carbon wheelsets lately. Up there with the frame.

I must be missing something?

My view is that there has never been a better, higher quality, variety of reasonably-priced carbon wheelsets in the market than now.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I must be missing something?

My view is that there has never been a better, higher quality, variety of reasonably-priced carbon wheelsets in the market than now.
There are. But if you attempt to build up some nice carbon hoops with a higher end hubset, things can get out of control.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online