• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I did it too: Ebike edition

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I ordered one. (I also received it, but the front fork is busted so I am waiting on a replacement.) Quiet Kat is having a darn good sale on its older models, so I picked up a 750W Ranger. It’s really mostly for commuting. I live at the top of a hill, so the thought of going to town for errands on a bike just leaves me cold when I think about returning. When I lived in a flat place, I loved my beach cruiser, but I have accepted the fact that I like bicycles for transportation, not exercise or “fun,” and I don’t think that is going to change at this point in my life. Hence … the big-ass moto-pedaler. It’s kinda large for strictly a commuter but I have friends and family who would like to borrow it for hunting, and I will use it off-road as well. But it’s for transportation. Not fun. (Even people who like bikes don’t have “fun,” I can see that grimace a mile away! :ogbiggrin: )

Any tips or suggestions for a newbie? (Not an overall bike newbie, I can ride them, I just don’t love it.)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny, when I was out for a ride yesterday, I was thinking "Who was going to be next?" Welcome to the club. For where you live, it definately makes sense. #youreoneofus

As far as tips, get a good lock for when you are in shopping. I am sure Quiet Kat has a bunch of options for carrying your groceries back of not there are trailers you can get too.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Surely you must have places and times where you can launch bc ski adventures with this vehicle?

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Surely you must have places and times where you can launch bc ski adventures with this vehicle?
Yes, I actually do. In my backyard, getting up to Sopris in spring when the road gate is closed! It’s 8 mi to the trailhead, and, as I don’t have bike fitness [see above lol], that was a no-go. I have had some health issues, and hopefully this will help me get some fitness back. I also finally got fish scale skis for the rolling terrain around my property. (There is a 50-50 chance all these things will be for sale in a year, so stay tuned.)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is very cool. I can totally see you running errands on your new e-bike.
Even though ours are mountain bikes, we have been known to take them to farmer's market or grocery store stops. My only concern is theft, so we need to make sure we have a solid lock.
As you know, our house is uphill too, so the trip to the market is a breeze, but there is a climb to get back home when we're loaded with produce.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I should say, I do like mountain biking a little bit. I just can't injure something new aka upper body at this point. I had surgery #7 this summer and I am just really tired of downtime.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I should say, I do like mountain biking a little bit. I just can't injure something new aka upper body at this point. I had surgery #7 this summer and I am just really tired of downtime.
7??
Damn sorry about that. Hope you're healing well and back on track.

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
7??
Damn sorry about that. Hope you're healing well and back on track.

This one was my first non-orthopedic operation. After a bunch of testing, it was discovered that I had a very inflamed gallbladder so they took it out. I have another condition in my stomach that I will need to continue monitoring. Anyway, I was not very hungry and losing lots of weight, so lots of testing etc. and hopefully now I can get some strength back. It's hard to ski with even skinnier legs than I already had :ogbiggrin:

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been on the fence on this. I'm a road biker, I hate fat tires and ugly bikes, I hate cadence sensing and I'm a cheapskate, so there aren't many (any) premade options for me. I'm inclined to put a 500-700 watt 48V torque sensing mid-motor on my old Cannondale SR900 along with a really big battery, but so far I haven't seen any kits that meet my (admittedly picky) requirements.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
(Even people who like bikes don’t have “fun,” I can see that grimace a mile away! :ogbiggrin: )

Let's start a pool for when @SBrown first has fun on this new bike.

Because it's going to happen.

I'll take one ride back up the hill to the house! :roflmao:

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been on the fence on this. I'm a road biker, I hate fat tires and ugly bikes, I hate cadence sensing and I'm a cheapskate, so there aren't many (any) premade options for me. I'm inclined to put a 500-700 watt 48V torque sensing mid-motor on my old Cannondale SR900 along with a really big battery, but so far I haven't seen any kits that meet my (admittedly picky) requirements.
Check out a Specialized Vado SL, closer to road bike tha one might expect. Well, except for weight, Here's a picture of the one I bought this summer after resisting an e-bike for long time. If I lived in a place with less rain I'd have skipped the fenders and rack

1695607513241.jpeg

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Check out a Specialized Vado SL, closer to road bike tha one might expect. Well, except for weight, Here's a picture of the one I bought this summer after resisting an e-bike for long time. If I lived in a place with less rain I'd have skipped the fenders and rack

View attachment 211715
nice

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We bought my wife a fancy Specialized Turbo Creo road bike. 27 lbs. you can completely adjust the amount of boost and how quickly it comes on for the three presets, which means she could fine-tune the assist levels to match my speed/power. It was spendy but a lot cheaper and more pleasant than a divorce - and now we’ve ridden more than 2,000 miles TOGETHER.
E-bikes are a great solution for a myriad of situations.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
We bought my wife a fancy Specialized Turbo Creo road bike. 27 lbs. you can completely adjust the amount of boost and how quickly it comes on for the three presets, which means she could fine-tune the assist levels to match my speed/power. It was spendy but a lot cheaper and more pleasant than a divorce - and now we’ve ridden more than 2,000 miles TOGETHER.
E-bikes are a great solution for a myriad of situations.
Agree. I love my Cannondale Synapse NEO (drop bar, gravel-ish bike, especially with the 40mm gravel kings). One of the things important to me as I get older is avoiding physical stress on my body. "No pain no gain" seemed logical in my 20s. But it turns out that is horribly wrong and overdoing it is very bad for your health. I use my electronic boost (no throttle) when I start to flag near the end of a ride. And also in road traffic situations where brisk acceleration and/or maintaining a top speed are safety boosters. Otherwise I ride it with little to no assist.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
I also got one, maybe a month ago. This one:

I think we're a little bit on the same page re: fun and that is exactly what I like so much about ebikes - they make it possible to enjoy using a bike to get around without being a ~~~ cyclist ~~~. You don't have to be super fit to knock out the 5 mile hilly ride downtown to dinner without arriving a sweaty mess, or whatever. You can bike home after a huge burger and beer without feeling gross. It rules.

I think the crowd that generally posts on this kind of forum (I include myself in that statement) forgets what it's like to not be super bike fit. The value of a bike that truly everyone can enjoy commuting on is huge.

Also they are AMAZING at elevation. All we do in the mountains now is bike to the marina to get a drink. It's 10 miles one way at 9k ft. Who cares!

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I also got one, maybe a month ago. This one:

I think we're a little bit on the same page re: fun and that is exactly what I like so much about ebikes - they make it possible to enjoy using a bike to get around without being a ~~~ cyclist ~~~. You don't have to be super fit to knock out the 5 mile hilly ride downtown to dinner without arriving a sweaty mess, or whatever. You can bike home after a huge burger and beer without feeling gross. It rules.

I think the crowd that generally posts on this kind of forum (I include myself in that statement) forgets what it's like to not be super bike fit. The value of a bike that truly everyone can enjoy commuting on is huge.

Also they are AMAZING at elevation. All we do in the mountains now is bike to the marina to get a drink. It's 10 miles one way at 9k ft. Who cares!
My only quibble: You can't have a "marina" at 9,000 feet. I know there is something there that has water and boats and docks. I know you can find a definition somewhere that says it's a marina. I know I am taking an absolutely indefensible position. But mostly I know that it's not a marina, unless you want to undo 2000+ years of Latin. :ogbiggrin:

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
My only quibble: You can't have a "marina" at 9,000 feet. I know there is something there that has water and boats and docks. I know you can find a definition somewhere that says it's a marina. I know I am taking an absolutely indefensible position. But mostly I know that it's not a marina, unless you want to undo 2000+ years of Latin. :ogbiggrin:

I have googled the etymology of "marina" (which, honestly, I could have just thought about and figured out) and I don't think anyone here will be surprised to hear that you are technically correct. :)

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have googled the etymology of "marina" (which, honestly, I could have just thought about and figured out) and I don't think anyone here will be surprised to hear that you are technically correct. :)
Doug Briggs will arrive at any moment to straighten this out.

Sponsor

Staff online