• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I did it too: Ebike edition

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So now MY point is … why are we even discussing assholes with throttles? I wanted to tell you all that I have a new bike, and of course it devolved into assholes on e-bikes. This is what I wish would end.

Well, welcome to the interwebz, I guess. ;)

I tried to start a thread titled EV Vehicles Only because I'm interested in about any kind of car.

It quickly (mostly) devolved into EVs are the devil/second coming of Christ kind of thing you'd expect.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

I tried to start a thread titled EV Vehicles Only because I'm interested in about any kind of car.

It quickly (mostly) devolved into EVs are the devil/second coming of Christ kind of thing you'd expect.

Yes, I regret that that thread devolved from concept too.

To @SBrown I think the balancing concept is "Police Your Own, Or Be Policed".

eAssholes exist and eMorons exist and eNaifs exist. eOwners don't undertake the burden, so it won't end any sooner than, say, strife in the Middle-East.

TS
S

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I mean, at least I got to go to sleep last night while humming "We Shall Overcome..."

I didn't see the EV thread but I can only imagine. My hyperbole is just an attempt to get people to remove the blinders and stop being negative. Mostly of course everyone likes when someone gets a new bike.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I didn't see the EV thread but I can only imagine. My hyperbole is just an attempt to get people to remove the blinders and stop being negative. Mostly of course everyone likes when someone gets a new bike.
That is why I wrote this...

While it is directed at mountain bikers, it really to to all cyclists. Like it or not, ebikes of all types are better for the cycling industry. As far as the morons, well, stupidity is inherent, ignorance is a choice.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I don't think the ebike industry did itself any favours by pushing for high wattage bikes to start with. Far better to target modest wattage like 250W pedal assist from the off ( like UK market ebikes are legally restricted to). Sure there are aftermarket chips and hacks but as yet no real tension in trail use where MTBs have always been legal.

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That is why I wrote this...

While it is directed at mountain bikers, it really to to all cyclists. Like it or not, ebikes of all types are better for the cycling industry. As far as the morons, well, stupidity is inherent, ignorance is a choice.

I am still talking about more than this, though; cyclists still have blinders — most are looking at it from the perspective of cycling as a competition of sorts, whether with one’s own self or the jerk passing you on the climb or the eMoron (I like that term!). I just think these things have so. much. more. potential.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am still talking about more than this, though; cyclists still have blinders — most are looking at it from the perspective of cycling as a competition of sorts, whether with one’s own self or the jerk passing you on the climb or the eMoron (I like that term!). I just think these things have so. much. more. potential.

I was thinking about this conversation yesterday when I was riding my e-caliber at the mountain bike park with my friend who was on her Trek Rail (also an e-bike). We stopped for a glucose check and had a woman ride up to us, striking up a conversation. She immediately noticed that Laura was on an e-bike but not me. Her entire conversation was, "How do you like it? what would you do differently? Is there something I should look into if I'm thinking about replacing my bike with an e-bike?"
At no point in time did we have anyone question or grumbling about us being on e-bikes.

When we were in Colorado for an event last year we happened to get into a conversation with a guy about e-bikes and he was pissed! He is angry about them being allowed on the same planet where he lives, let alone the trails he utilizes.

Is there a bigger issue in different areas? I feel like e-bikes in general have been embraced out here, but I'm still hearing and seeing division in other areas.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When we were in Colorado for an event last year we happened to get into a conversation with a guy about e-bikes and he was pissed! He is angry about them being allowed on the same planet where he lives, let alone the trails he utilizes.

Is there a bigger issue in different areas? I feel like e-bikes in general have been embraced out here, but I'm still hearing and seeing division in other areas.

The guy is probably worked hard to get to the proficiency level he is at. Let just say he paid his dues. Now comes some random guy/gal on some new fangled e-bike and left him in the dust. He just wanted for the rest of the masses to suffer and pay the dues like he did.

We all experienced the same scenario back when shape skis were introduced back around the late '90s. Many called them cheater skis. Now they are the norm. So much the norm that I get sh*t on this forum for skiing my SL in the spring slush. :nono:
I guess most people want everyone else to be just like them. Miserable.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Now they are the norm. So much the norm that I get sh*t on this forum for skiing my SL in the spring slush. :nono:
Chapeau!

The perfect meta post.

I'm getting more and more convinced that "you do you" should be solution to any equipment/personal athletic aspiration/life goal. Trying to be in "clubs" where you have to play by the unwritten rules strikes me as the ultimate in turning fun into tedium/misery.

Mind you that's not to say I wouldn't subscribe to the Grump's lifestyle/wellness coaching app. ;)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think that e-bikes, whatever class, are brilliant for commuting. If only they could come with anti-theft of some sort so it was safer to park them when you ran into the grocery store, or were grabbing a bite to eat. Never mind that the majority of the U.S. has hideous infrastructure in place to support commuting by bicycle. We live about 3 miles from downtown Ogden, and have access to a paved river trail that we can ride into town, but we never do because we can't safely stash our very expensive bikes anywhere. Bike theft is RAMPANT in Utah.

My Dad commuted to work for 40 years by bike, first in the Puget Sound region up hideous hills in hideous weather, then on a ferry; then in the Mojave Desert heat. I'm sure he would have loved having some pedal assist (although probably not a throttle.)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Thanks! I wonder if that usage became common while the actual navy office still existed. Must be a story there, I'd expect.

Tony has found a relative etymological goldmine there. For other nautical related amusement try "Box the Jesuit" and click on further terms as the fancy takes you.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
The guy is probably worked hard to get to the proficiency level he is at. Let just say he paid his dues. Now comes some random guy/gal on some new fangled e-bike and left him in the dust. He just wanted for the rest of the masses to suffer and pay the dues like he did.

We all experienced the same scenario back when shape skis were introduced back around the late '90s. Many called them cheater skis. Now they are the norm. So much the norm that I get sh*t on this forum for skiing my SL in the spring slush. :nono:
But this is what Seg is saying about competition. Get over it already (Colorado dude, not you grumpmeister). I get what she is saying. I LOVE bikes. I had a nice long ride yesterday and it left me feeling like I am walking on clouds. But I have never, ever loaded Strava. I have never timed myself. I don't like to ride in groups. I hardly notice other riders when I am riding*. I ride because I enjoy it. It makes me happy.

*Yesterday however, I did notice the woman in the blue dress on the Pedego on the Joe Rodota trail. I know she thought she was sitting on her dress. But she wasn't. I debated telling her briefly as eventually passed. I didn't. Let your freak flag fly Sebastopol. Your freak flag and your blue thong. Let em fly.

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I was thinking about this conversation yesterday when I was riding my e-caliber at the mountain bike park with my friend who was on her Trek Rail (also an e-bike). We stopped for a glucose check and had a woman ride up to us, striking up a conversation. She immediately noticed that Laura was on an e-bike but not me. Her entire conversation was, "How do you like it? what would you do differently? Is there something I should look into if I'm thinking about replacing my bike with an e-bike?"
At no point in time did we have anyone question or grumbling about us being on e-bikes.

I'm not plugged into the bike community, really, so I can't say. I live in a very bike-centric place, though, and I see everything out there. The main thing I have heard is about out-of-control tourists on rentals. It's like anything, tough to just loan out things that need a little education, from 40-ft RVs to e-bikes. Heck, they rent snowmobiles on trailers out here, to anyone! People take them up to Vail Pass and get stuck within 100 yd, duh. Then they spend the rest of the time contacting the recovery team -- wait. Now I get it. Snowmobile rental is in cahoots with recovery team, splits profits. Ok, well anyway, there are learning curves to all these things.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Here, the majority of the people on the trails never notice I'm on an e-bike. Of the 15% that do, most just question how much do I like it. One usually (jokingly) will yell you're cheating. Not sure what I'm cheating at if I'm not in a race.

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think that e-bikes, whatever class, are brilliant for commuting. If only they could come with anti-theft of some sort so it was safer to park them when you ran into the grocery store, or were grabbing a bite to eat. Never mind that the majority of the U.S. has hideous infrastructure in place to support commuting by bicycle. We live about 3 miles from downtown Ogden, and have access to a paved river trail that we can ride into town, but we never do because we can't safely stash our very expensive bikes anywhere. Bike theft is RAMPANT in Utah.

My Dad commuted to work for 40 years by bike, first in the Puget Sound region up hideous hills in hideous weather, then on a ferry; then in the Mojave Desert heat. I'm sure he would have loved having some pedal assist (although probably not a throttle.)

Yeah, that's always the thing. At least these e-bikes are a lot cheaper than good bikes, more like an inexpensive hardtail! :ogbiggrin: Which is weird. But I can remove my battery, and the thing is awfully heavy, which doesn't prevent anything but makes it more of a pain to toss in a truck or even pedal away (as long as they aren't going downhill lol).

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On the one hand I would love to have an e-bike or an electric scooter. On the other hand I feel that no activity that I do is as dangerous as bicycling. After hearing about a number of severe injuries, a couple of paralysis events and one death involving bicycles, I haven’t even taken my bicycle off of the indoor trainer this year.

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
On the one hand I would love to have an e-bike or an electric scooter. On the other hand I feel that no activity that I do is as dangerous as bicycling. After hearing about a number of severe injuries, a couple of paralysis events and one death involving bicycles, I haven’t even taken my bicycle off of the indoor trainer this year.
Yes, 100%. I am lucky to be where I am, although of course there are still cars. But lots and lots of path and deserted dirt.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Yeah I would love to have an ebike for work commute or local errands. Theoretically it would be the best thing for the planet and my health. But other drivers and lack of bike lanes makes it a no go. Plus the parking/theft thing.

Sponsor

Staff online