• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks @tball ,
I couldn't find the link to the AAA study. Almost everybody knows Michelins are better in the wet. Too bad they didn't test the Pilots. It also would be interesting to see the dry results.
Some of the scariest tires I ever experienced in the wet were the Michelin XW4 s(?)that came stock on our ‘97 Outback. The Michelin arctic Alpins we put on the same car were much better as were the pilot alpins I put on my Impreza.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
What's the issue with the Highlander?
Lack of road feel , extreme understeer on downhills, rearward weight shift on uphills that is downright dangerous in crosswinds. I'm not even comparing it to the Cherokee/GC here, even a car-derived people hauler like the Nissan Murano can get those bits right. My ex's old Lumina van had more road feel and better front/back balance.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
So what's the current latest and greatest? I need new tires for the Suburban before Winter. Rather not read through 18 pages. These will remain on 365/yr. Mostly dry driving, but I do have the opportunity to chase storms mid-week so I do tend to drive in the worst conditions too.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Goodyear Ultra terrain, Falken Wildpeak AT3W or Cooper STT pro if you want something more aggressive.

Reactions: nay

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just put another set of these on the Yukon. We got over 50K out of the Hankooks and expect the same out of these. Discount Tire is doing Labor Day 10% off sale

screenshot_20190819-150751_chrome-jpg.78808

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The revised Cooper AT3 - now AT3 4S - will probably up the game for those who want all weather performance while retaining the capability of a truck tire.

65K treadlife warranty, severe service rated, should be awesome in rain (for those of you where rain is a thing).

40A2D4CF-9951-45A6-9D9B-8F4DD8462D86.jpeg

Last edited:

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Goodyear Duratracs installed. These seem like great tires.
IMG_1709.JPG

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd append this question to this existing thread:

I need to replace the OEM summer tires on my 2019 Bimmer X3. I typically only drive up to Mammoth a couple of times a season, so I can't justify full on snow tires. Therefore, I'd like to get some advice on all season tires that do OK in snow. Mammoth does a great job clearing the roads, but occasionally Mother Nature lets loose with epic dumps that even they can't keep up with. For those days, I have learned to stay on the relative flats in town, so generally don't need tires to deal with multiple inches of standing snow.

My tires are a somewhat oddball 245/50 R19 size and the choices include two of the usual suspects around these forums:

Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 and
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Much said on these forums, with devotees to each.

Tire Rack also lists a new contender- Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate. Seems to be brand new, without any on snow experience, but the profile description seems to indicate that they have designed the tire to have some on snow chops (sipes seems to loom large in the product description)

Thoughts for me to consider?

Edit: There are run flat options, including the Michelin MXM 4, but I got the donut spare tire option on this car assuming that would widen my options for the tire I want/need. Also, the m40i suspension is a little "stiff" for my wife's queasy stomach, and I thought a conventional tire would soften up the ride a bit.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Eco Blend for the win. Runs soft when it's cooler and runs harder when it's warmer out

James

Out There
Instructor
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd append this question to this existing thread:

I need to replace the OEM summer tires on my 2019 Bimmer X3. I typically only drive up to Mammoth a couple of times a season, so I can't justify full on snow tires. Therefore, I'd like to get some advice on all season tires that do OK in snow. Mammoth does a great job clearing the roads, but occasionally Mother Nature lets loose with epic dumps that even they can't keep up with. For those days, I have learned to stay on the relative flats in town, so generally don't need tires to deal with multiple inches of standing snow.

My tires are a somewhat oddball 245/50 R19 size and the choices include two of the usual suspects around these forums:

Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 and
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Much said on these forums, with devotees to each.

Tire Rack also lists a new contender- Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate. Seems to be brand new, without any on snow experience, but the profile description seems to indicate that they have designed the tire to have some on snow chops (sipes seems to loom large in the product description)

Thoughts for me to consider?

Edit: There are run flat options, including the Michelin MXM 4, but I got the donut spare tire option on this car assuming that would widen my options for the tire I want/need. Also, the m40i suspension is a little "stiff" for my wife's queasy stomach, and I thought a conventional tire would soften up the ride a bit.
There’s the Toyo Celsius which is snowflake rated. No experience with it, only a Nokian all weather. They generally are spongier in response than all seasons. You get used to it.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks! Three peak/snowflake symbol and 60K mileage warranty. What's not to like?

Edit: However, a search of Toyo's web site, using their vehicle search tool, doesn't show a match to my X3, or basically any of the SUVs. The wheel diameter and rim width seem like they should be OK. I'm in unfamiliar waters here: If the tire seems to show dimensions that would work, but the manufacturer doesn't indicate a match, can that tire be safely mounted?

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks! Three peak/snowflake symbol and 60K mileage warranty. What's not to like?

Edit: However, a search of Toyo's web site, using their vehicle search tool, doesn't show a match to my X3, or basically any of the SUVs. The wheel diameter and rim width seem like they should be OK. I'm in unfamiliar waters here: If the tire seems to show dimensions that would work, but the manufacturer doesn't indicate a match, can that tire be safely mounted?
If it's the correct size and load rating I don't see why not. It may be that the speed rating is too low but that's probably going to be the case with most winter tires anyway. They may not recommend it but I don't think it would be unsafe to downgrade to a tire rated for 149mph from one rated at 168 in normal driving. As @James said they'll likely feel squishy compared to your summer tires but anything that will work in the snow will.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah I don't get it. What's the load rating of your current tire? Could be that.
I can't imagine 149 mph in an X3. Not a great idea.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe you also need to make sure the load rating is sufficient for your vehicle.

Also, any three peak/snowflake tire isn't going to handle as well as the 19" OEM summer tires that came on your X3.

I bet the X3 also came with 18" wheels that might have more tire options available. I'd see if I could find a set of those wheels. Either craigslist or a BMW dealer might have a set of wheels, possibly with tires, that someone has taken off their X3 in favor of larger or aftermarket wheels.

With the little snow you see, I'd think about running 18" wheels with all-season 3PMS tires in the winter and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (or an even higher performance Michelin) on your 19" wheels in the summer. You'd get the best of both worlds, being able to go safely in the snow and not compromising the summer performance.

I just did similar for my new-to-me Sequoia, picking up a nice set take-off wheels and Michelin tires from a 2018 Tundra w/12K miles for $600 off craigslist from someone who lifted their truck. The Toyota dealers around Denver routinely sell brand new take-off with tires for $900-1000 for a set of four. That's for nice OEM alloy wheels and brand new tires. They just didn't have any when I needed some, so I went with the used set that was available.

Last edited:

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks to all you guys for your input. In the end, I decided to go with Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06s. What swung my vote away from the Toyos was their coming in last of 5 tires in CRs All-weather tire test. They specifically faulted the wet pavement stopping distance. For the little time that I spend in snow, and having always managed even the worst of Mammoth's conditions with all season tires for the last 20 years, I figured that the Conti's capability would be adequate. I learned as a teenager how to drive in snow, so the CA rules for shutting down roads will kick in long before either my car/tires or my skill set would be taxed. There simply is nothing in the drive up to Mammoth that matches the potentially sketchy conditions on either side of the Eisenhower tunnel or Berthoud Pass. My Mammoth days lately only number 6 of the 365 days I otherwise drive the car.

As to the load rating, I dug deeper and the Toyo Celsius meets that standard. I think that the search tool just had not been updated; likely the 245/50 19 size is pretty new.

I agree that 18" rims would be WAY better in so many ways. I just really don't have room for two sets of rims/tires. My SO clearly would not go for that.

Maybe by the time I need to replace the Contis, Michelin will make the Cross Climate + in my size.

Thanks again, guys!

James

Out There
Instructor
I agree that 18" rims would be WAY better in so many ways.
Yeah a 50 profile tire for beat up roads, hell even a 3/4 inch drop, kind of sucks. Even 55 isn't great. Rim sizes have gotten out of control. Looks good in a photo.

Sponsor

Staff online