• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you can get it in your size I would highly recommend the Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws. Yes, they are a fairly aggressive tread but now you have a Jeepogsmile. I have experienced very little of the downside of such tread on my truck. They are relatively quiet and surprisingly stable at 80+ on the highway despite being able to confidently slog through the worst winter conditions or even rock crawl if you so desire. They are also relatively inexpensive compared to their competitors
If you're shopping at Discount Tires take a look at these. I found they worked very well on my pickup in the snow. We also have them on our Expedition and it also goes well in the snow.
View attachment 78808
These look like a knock off of the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10s. I ran several sets of those until they stopped carrying the "severe snow service" rating in my size, so I tried the Falkens and I couldn't be happier.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you can get it in your size I would highly recommend the Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws. Yes, they are a fairly aggressive tread but now you have a Jeepogsmile. I have experienced very little of the downside of such tread on my truck. They are relatively quiet and surprisingly stable at 80+ on the highway despite being able to confidently slog through the worst winter conditions or even rock crawl if you so desire. They are also relatively inexpensive compared to their competitors
These look like a knock off of the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10s. I ran several sets of those until they stopped carrying the "severe snow service" rating in my size, so I tried the Falkens and I couldn't be happier.
Gas mileage affected by those? I'd just run the Falken's that are on there if they weren't up a size in diameter AND width,

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
These look like a knock off of the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10s
It's my understanding they (Discount Tire) bought the molds from Hankook. I believe mine still had the severe weather stamp.

It doesn't look like Discount Tire carries them any longer?
I just pulled that off the web today. Maybe not all stores carry them? It is their store brand.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Gas mileage affected by those? I'd just run the Falken's that are on there if they weren't up a size in diameter AND width,
Mileage took a little hit but I think it's largely because they run big. In a 285 70 17 they are about 3/4" taller and 1 1/4" wider than the same size Hankooks I had previously and are actually labeled as 33 x 11.5 on the sidewall. Mine are also 10 ply so they are extra heavy.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have these on the S.S. Pugski and will be getting them again. Awesome tire, I think we got well over 60K out of them. If we could have gotten them for the VW I dould have.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We have these on the S.S. Pugski and will be getting them again. Awesome tire, I think we got well over 60K out of them. If we could have gotten them for the VW I dould have.
Well those look intriguing, too. Very similar tread to some of the Coopers we're looking at.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

The size up will improve everything - if they aren’t rubbing what is the issue?

That tire is snow rated and the Falkens have just been awesome for tread life. I’ve decided to go yet another winter on the AT3W and they are almost 60K. There is no way I would spend money just to go down a metric size, you won’t even notice it.

A solution looking for a problem :wave:?

If you really want to spend money, the Goodyear Ultraterrain is now the tire. Dead quiet and comfortable and shockingly good for winter. Rain is no issue and they aren’t super heavy duty. Perfect for a midsize SUV.

Last edited:
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
By the way, for those who are sure that tires are killing your fuel economy, tires are a gear ratio in the system and sizing up effectively increases the overdrive ratio.

This was a recent trip in the 2004 V8 4Runner with a 2.5” lift and 285/70/17 (33”) Goodyear Ultraterrain tires. That is two full sizes up over stock and a much more “aggressive” tire than stock, “aggressive” meaning it is better at everything.

3A4D5040-0DFF-4224-B826-7F733C882210.jpeg

I am coming down from 7,400’ to 5,500’ here, but on the return was still over 16 mpg for an average of about 18.

The Toyota 4.7L V8 is hardly known for fuel economy - not even variable valve timed yet in 2004 - but for cruising speed with this tire two sizes up it is hitting a nice mark and that is at 236K.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
@nay bigger tires can help if you have low enough gearing but it can also hurt. I’m my Silverado for example(5.3ll 6 speed auto, 3.42 rear) 33s actually have the engine spinning a bit too slow(-1700 rpm @ 70 mph) so it downshifts often when climbing hills or even slightly accelerating. If I’m cruising over 70 it’s not much of an issue but anything slower and it’s constantly hunting for the right gear.

James

Out There
Instructor
^ Plus the speedo issue.
You might be able to have your tranny reprogrammed or revalved for the tires. Then there’s the torque converter lockup rpm.

@AmyPJ , you can go to the tire site and get the exact diameter of a size, when mounted on the standard rim width. Also the revolutions/mile. Compare to your other choice. I think tbere’s sldo a site that foes the size calc if you know the rim width.

But since they’re already on the vehicle, how is it?

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
^ Plus the speedo issue.
You might be able to have your tranny reprogrammed or revalved for the tires. Then there’s the torque converter lockup rpm.

Yes, a couple sizes will cause the speedometer to read about 3 mph low at 70 mph (so it’s 73).

It’s better to think of the gearing affect as moving the shift range and RPM ceiling rather than in terms of low gearing (talking automatic transmissions here), so long as the engine can still pull at lower RPM in overdrive. The across the range RPM reduction may mean a gear you never downshift into is now viable.

A concrete example. My 2004 Sequoia has a classic Toyota 4 speed transmission with the 4.7L V8. Overdrive is fairly useless going up I-70 (RPM too low in the power band) so I usually lock it out and drive in 3rd, especially with the added weight of passengers and gear.

With stock tires, 3,500 RPM will hit in 3rd gear at around 65 mph. I don’t like to flog it over longer distances, so that’s about the ceiling. 2nd gear then for steep passes is only useful to about 45 mph before the flogging begins.

I put 285/75/17 AT3W, which is a full size 34” tire, on the Sequoia pretty soon after I bought it. If I regeared the differentials to say 4:88 from factory 4:10 ratio, I would have lower gearing than stock, so more effective gear power at the wheels, but now my 3rd gear ceiling would be 60 mph and 2nd would be reduced as well. And the lower gears still wouldn’t make overdrive low enough to stay out of 3rd.

But by leaving the differential gearing stock, I can cruise in 2nd at 55 mph and 75 in 3rd. Overdrive (4th) is still great downhill, although I’ve lost a bit of compression braking. If they fit, I would run 35’s because both 2nd and 3rd are so much better, and I need second to not bog down on passes.

This point is further illustrated by my Land Cruiser on 37” tires, also a four speed. I have 5.29 diff gears replacing factory 4:10, which is 18% lower than stock in combination. I know this, because I have a Yellow Box that corrects the speedo at the 18% overgeared setting. And RPM is about 300 over stock at 70 mph.

So second gear here is a mess, it’s revving at 40 mph and 3rd is lowered as well. It’s awesome offroad and on anything steep and slow, but the net effect of those low gears is going slower because the headroom is gone, even though it cranks an effective “big” gear.

None of this matters when considering the power of a 2014 Grand Cherokee. You could generate as much effect of a single metric size by varying your tire pressure. Tires don’t make as much of a difference as charts say they do, because of radial tire rolling radius, unless maybe you like max PSI. Gears are exact, because metal.

This is the Yellow Box I bought to correct the Sequoia speedo. I’ve had for over two years. No reason to bother, the shift points and speed ranges are perfect with the larger tires. I’ll probably do it at some point, but that’s really a matter of not getting tickets because your speedo reads low if the shift points are responsive.

0A5893F9-9B1F-4AE2-90B5-7EE5B23EE9A6.jpeg

I’m not saying anybody should or shouldn’t change tire size, simply that tires are also a gear and you can make everything from single size changes for looks that won’t show up at all except in grins to shifting the entire range to using a low gear on the highway.

Modern vehicles are so powerful with so many gears that sticking to factory size doesn’t need to be an absolute rule. I mean, people are lifting Crosstreks and putting 31” tires on them. And we know how finicky Sube owners are :P.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well those look intriguing, too. Very similar tread to some of the Coopers we're looking at.
They are excellent tires, I have owned 4-5 sets and was quite satisfied but, IME, they get really loud as they wear, like M/T loud, at least with the 10 ply. I've heard it's better if you rotate often and make sure to cross rotate when you do. Maybe @Philpug can chime in his experience with the passenger version.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    339 bytes · Views: 4

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The size up will improve everything - if they aren’t rubbing what is the issue?

That tire is snow rated and the Falkens have just been awesome for tread life. I’ve decided to go yet another winter on the AT3W and they are almost 60K. There is no way I would spend money just to go down a metric size, you won’t even notice it.

A solution looking for a problem :wave:?

If you really want to spend money, the Goodyear Ultraterrain is now the tire. Dead quiet and comfortable and shockingly good for winter. Rain is no issue and they aren’t super heavy duty. Perfect for a midsize SUV.

^ Plus the speedo issue.

@AmyPJ , you can go to the tire site and get the exact diameter of a size, when mounted on the standard rim width. Also the revolutions/mile. Compare to your other choice. I think tbere’s sldo a site that foes the size calc if you know the rim width.

But since they’re already on the vehicle, how is it?

Responding to both of you. I HATED the Falkens on the freeway. HATED them. Vague steering, noisy, steering wheel was vibrating (might have needed balancing, the guy bought them from some cheesy tire shop.) They are going up for sale tomorrow. I went with the Cooper HTPs after looking at the tread pattern on them. Huge improvement. I guess I want my main vehicle to be comfortable and quiet. I'm also coming from a Mazda, which handles and corners like a dream.

I will throw snows on it in eventually.

James

Out There
Instructor
I mean, people are lifting Crosstreks and putting 31” tires on them. And we know how finicky Sube owners are :P.
And they’re lowering Civics and putting 40 profile tires on them with hub extensions and a 3 1/2 inch tail pipe.
In the east, I’ve noticed an inordinate number of bad highway drivers, (yo yo speed in left lane, tailgating, bad passing), driving...Subarus. So much for their “love” advertising.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Responding to both of you. I HATED the Falkens on the freeway. HATED them. Vague steering, noisy, steering wheel was vibrating (might have needed balancing, the guy bought them from some cheesy tire shop.) T

The vagueness and the vibration lead me to think they were both unbalanced and under pressured.

(At this point I should note that I didn't like the CX-5 handling. On every late apex it would throw it's upper back end sideways. Felt like the thing had triple butt implants.

It's not on the NEVER RENT list like the Highlander is, but I did put a note in my phone to immediately turn off the lane nannying and the moronic auto headlight management )

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just what my overthinking brain needs. I've run Michelins exclusively and the past several sets have not even come close to wearing for as long as advertised. Yes, I get them rotated regularly. The current pair on my Mazda (Defender HT) have a growl at low speeds.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @tball ,
I couldn't find the link to the AAA study. Almost everybody knows Michelins are better in the wet. Too bad they didn't test the Pilots. It also would be interesting to see the dry results.
Consumer Reports does comprehensive testing in wet, dry and snow and the Pilots are at the top of the ultra-high-performance summer and ultra-high-performance all-season ratings.

In general, Michelin is at or near the top of every category in Consumer Reports testing. I suspect that Michelin's recent focus on worn tire performance makes them substantially better worn across the different categories, as was shown for the two Michelin tires in the AAA test.

I think there's a pretty easy case that when in doubt, just go buy Michelin tires. They are worth the premium price. Ask yourself how much is your deductible and how much do you value safety and performance. The extra margin of safety due to best in class stopping distance is priceless IMO.

Tire_Ratings___Reviews_-_Consumer_Reports-1.jpg

Tire_Ratings___Reviews_-_Consumer_Reports.jpg

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just what my overthinking brain needs. I've run Michelins exclusively and the past several sets have not even come close to wearing for as long as advertised. Yes, I get them rotated regularly. The current pair on my Mazda (Defender HT) have a growl at low speeds.
Again, sorry. Your "anything but Michelins" was just the antithesis to my approach to tire buying of "just buy the Michelins."

I've only bought Michelins for about 20 years (other than studded snow tires that they don't sell in the US). I've researched the crap out of each tire purchase and always ended up buying another set of Michelins. In each case, I've felt the premium price was worth it. I've never been disappointed.

I currently have five sets of Michelins for three vehicles (20 tires) and couldn't be happier. Studded Hakkapeliittas are the exception to the rule. Keeps things simple. :)