• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How Full is Your Closet? Jackets and Pants Overkill?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
List by type is the way for me to go: (Does not include none ski jackets)
Qty.----- Type of jacket.
4 ----- 3 in 1 Jackets
4 ----- Down Fill
2 ----- Polyester Fill
3 ----- Shell
2 ----- Vintage
15 Total

4 -----Down Vest

Qty. ----- Type of pants
2 ----- Bib pants
2 ----- Waist high pants
3 ----- Shell pants
2 ----- Vintage pants
1 ----- One Piece Suit
10 Total

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
1- long coat shell in chocolate/black trim
1- long coat insulated in blue/black trim
1- short waist jacket shell, fitted, in grey/orange
1- rain shell, loose fit in yellow
1- layerable monkey fur type jacket in black/purple
1- layerable down jacket in green/blue
1- layerable windproof hardface jacket in pumpkin/black
1- goretex bike/ski skin tight top in yellow
1- monkey fur vest in green
1- down vest in silver

10 garments, zero quiver overlap. :D

Now if only I could find a ca.'96 Dynastar duster ...

Last edited:

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
When I was in my 20s-30s I accumulated a lot of ski apparel - enough to pack an entire bedroom closet. That's mostly because I worked in a ski shop (or my buddies did); I just couldn't resist a good pro deal or deep discount. Anyway, I sold off all that stuff long ago. My only regret on that was letting go of all my old Demetre wool ski sweaters.

Currently, I keep things simple:

Two jackets: Highly insulated Burton and moderately insulated Oakely.
Three shell jackets: Trew (slightly insulated), Mountain Hardware (a little lighter than the Trew & rain proof) and Columbia (more like a biking shell, super light for warm days).
Two pants: Virtika bib (3L insulated), Outdoor Research "Cirque" pant (simple stretchy versatile pant, love 'em).

Most of the time, I wear a shell jacket with the Cirque pants and rely on layers. The Burton jacket & Virtika bib comes out only on super cold & deep/stormy days.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My closet isn't that full. That's what the garment rack in the basement is for ;-)

In terms of what I actually wear, two jackets and two snow pants. Then there are all the pants that are perfectly good and maybe my good pants will tear and I'll need to get them fixed (it's happened before). Then there are all the pants and jackets that are a tier lower, but it's hard to get rid of them when they would have to sell so cheaply (perfectly mended small tear, or just generally clothes don't sell well). Or I wasn't able to sell them on eBay or CL, and I just can't quite yet bear to give them away.

And then of course the aspirational pants - they fit me several years ago, I loved them, and surely they'll fit me again some day?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How Full is Your Closet? Jackets and Pants Overkill?
1- long coat shell in chocolate/black trim
1- long coat insulated in blue/black trim
1- short waist jacket shell, fitted, in grey/orange
1- rain shell, loose fit in yellow
1- layerable monkey fur type jacket in black/purple
1- layerable down jacket in green/blue
1- layerable windproof hardface jacket in pumpkin/black
1- goretex bike/ski skin tight top in yellow
1- monkey fur vest in green
1- down vest in silver

Ski Pants may be a better find ;)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
pants :P
1 pair tweed all weather (not insulated but heavy enough to not care), rain resistant
1 pair green shell - not as rain resistant, just as warm
1 pair yellow shell (lighter than green),
1 pair Neoshell climbing/ cold touring
1 pair Schoeller climbing/warm touring
1 pair black rain pants
1 pair 3Gore expedition-weight climbing pants - grey/black
1 pair wind panel XC pants - grey/white
1 pair red bump pants
1 pair fleece pants

You will notice that the most extreme pairing possible is green/blue on top of red - and yeh, that doesn't really work, but all the others do :D Including the ridiculously, intentionally unAmerican matchy matchy green/blue on green.

Last edited:

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
I kinda have a weird habit of holding onto things. I pretty much have every ski jacket and pair of pants I've worn for the last 15 years. I feel like I generally take extremely good care of my outerwear and I don't see the need to get rid of any of it. I have a pair of black Oakley pants that are at least 15 years old and they are in better shape than a lot of the dirty, tattered pants I see out on the hill. I could care a less if your pants are dirty or tattered, but it says a lot about the quality of stuff Oakley was making more than a decade ago.

That said, I wear one or two little outfits each season. I used to switch it up a lot back in the day, but now I just keep it simple. I've been on an all black kick lately. Like a ninja.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Just scored this Salomon 3 in 1 for $39 delivered.

s-l1600.jpg

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The "other" new jacket just arrived, and in good company with the other 4 heavier jackets. 3 have removable hoods, The new one is a 3 in 1 with removable fleece. Update, the Salomon jacket was actually $30 delivered, posted at $21 and nobody else bid on it, shipping was $8.50.
WP_20160524_002.jpg

Last edited:

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
I've owned four coats in the last 20 years. Much like skis I have a quiver of one at any time. My favorite was my Mountain Hardware hardshell I had for 10 seasons, I haven't been nearly as happy with the last two soft shells from them. Same thing with pants, I've had my current pair that I wear exclusively for at least 5-6 seasons. My fleece I wear every day moved out here with me in 1995, I'm not sure how long I've had it before that.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I NEED a new jacket. I'm looking for a shell with a large back pocket like the 10-year-old DNA I use for work on the car or the 5-year-old Marker that has faded significantly and developed wear holes in the arms from carrying skis. I have at least a dozen former ski school parkas in a barn in Michigan that no longer fit!!!! I prefer a shell that I can layer under to adjust for weather.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I just ordered another gren/black/white jacket (used) that better matches the skis I bought to go with my new BLUE jacket. Talk about jumping the shark hahaha.. then ordered some used white pants, just so I can whine about lift tower grease drips???

s-l1600.jpg

13255919_1305505326131669_3989480091116556472_n.jpg

Looks like my Desente blue with yellow fart bag would also match up well with these..
LL

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I NEED a new jacket. I'm looking for a shell with a large back pocket like the 10-year-old DNA I use for work on the car or the 5-year-old Marker that has faded significantly and developed wear holes in the arms from carrying skis. I have at least a dozen former ski school parkas in a barn in Michigan that no longer fit!!!! I prefer a shell that I can layer under to adjust for weather.
Have you ever considered a cycling jacket? Usually have back pockets. Just be sure to buy . . . I'd say two sizes too large if you want room to layer underneath. Lots of good wind shells out there for cycling. They will not be terribly long in the front, but will be longer in the back.

Sponsor