• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How Full is Your Closet? Jackets and Pants Overkill?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If we count just the ski jackets, I have two (well, three if you count the infamous dark blue one that I have been shamed into never wearing again).

If you start counting all the other ones -- one rain jacket, two hiking jackets (which see non-hiking work as well), around town jacket, two synthetic insulated mid-layers, down insulated mid-layer, then I'm up to 10. I felt somewhat guilty about that (although they all do all see fairly regular use) and then I saw @SkiNurse 's total of 72. I feel better now. Thanks!
When are we going to sacrifice that jacket?
Perhaps an east coast gathering thing? I could get a bottle of ULLR to you if necessary.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I suppose I could play. These are for mainly skiing, if I included the stuff used for mainly hiking and climbing…:
Shells:
- 1 Goretex
- 1 eVent
- 1 soft shell, no hood
- 2 soft shells. hooded (1 alpine styled, 1 conventional soft shell style)
- 1 wind shell, hooded

Pants:
- 1 hard shell in good condition
- 1 hard shell, beaters for work
- 1 soft shell for touring
- 1 soft shell for lifts

Fleece
- several light pullovers
- 2 medium pullovers
- 1 medium jacket
- 1 heavy pullover
- 2 medium vests

Puffies:
- 1 thick synthetic jacket, hooded
- 1 thick down jacket, hooded
- 1 medium synthetic jacket
- 1 down shirt pullover
- 2 thinner (like nano-puff) pullovers
- 1 down sweater
- 1 down vest
- 1 synthetic vest

My merino and poly underwear takes up two big drawers.

I don't have a problem, I can quit any time. I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dammit, I forgot the medium down jacket, hooded, and the hooded pullover wind shell. I guess maybe I have a problem.

Not much point in going over the old stuff in a closet in the garage. It has great sentimental value...

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow - this made me count... and it turned out interesting

6 Jackets
6 mid-layers
6 pants
3 shells

... and also 6 boots (only using 3 of them really)

Should I change my handle to 666 ? Or maybe 66636 ?

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So, now my one day ski trip planning decision flow is as follows:

Where am I going and what are the conditions? What kind of skiing? NASTAR a possibility? Ice, cord, bumps, or fresh-and how much?

Pick two pairs of skis for a one day trip, with one with the best guess for conditions and a 2nd that is a little different if I guessed wrong or mechanical failure.

Pick outerwear based on..
1) Match the skis and poles I plan to ski first that day, or all day assuming they are best for conditions.
2) Expected temperature, wind, and precipitation in the forecast. Wardrobe goal is at least 2 options for each quiver ski graphic, light for regular or warmer weather and heavier for colder than usual, say sub 15 degrees.

Decisions decisions!
WP_20160610_001.jpg

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
The modern disease, affluenza. Keep on consuming, hoping for a little happiness, release from the everyday? I know I'm slightly inflicted, working (not hard enough) at detoxing myself. Less is more, maybe?

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The modern disease, affluenza. Keep on consuming, hoping for a little happiness, release from the everyday? I know I'm slightly inflicted, working (not hard enough) at detoxing myself. Less is more, maybe?
It's a vicious cycle of buying gear in hopes that makes it possible and more likely to get out and create opportunities and excuses to use that gear. Also a bit of hording because I get something new, usually a bargain by most definitions, with the caveat that I will get rid of something else to free up space. Then I waffle and balk at getting rid of the older thing hahahaha.. Not entirely true, I have a 10 foot fence section of skis I've retired to make room for more modern or cooler retro additions inside the house.. But, having TEN good ski jackets along with as many pants AND two fart bags when I only ski 10-12 days a year is definitely massive overkill.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It's a vicious cycle of buying gear in hopes that makes it possible and more likely to get out and create opportunities and excuses to use that gear. Also a bit of hording because I get something new, usually a bargain by most definitions, with the caveat that I will get rid of something else to free up space. Then I waffle and balk at getting rid of the older thing hahahaha.. Not entirely true, I have a 10 foot fence section of skis I've retired to make room for more modern or cooler retro additions inside the house.. But, having TEN good ski jackets along with as many pants AND two fart bags when I only ski 10-12 days a year is definitely massive overkill.
What, no photos of the fence.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
@SkiNurse and the very creative Pugster on an earlier post are my inspirations.

Ski jackets - Red with white, Hot Pink-Red, Grey herringbone

Ski pants - Light Blue Print, Burgundy, Light grey, Black non-insulated, Black stretchy soft shells, need to be shortened

Other jackets - Green Paclite rain shell, Army green Goretex shell circa 2004 and surprisingly still useful, Black soft shell

Puffies - Black down hoody, Black down jacket, Lime green down vest, Orchid down vest

Retired with Love -
Orange & cream Spyder jacket, Black Killy powder suit, with orange, mint green, and lavender details, along with the matching wool hat and fanny pack

Other - Blue jacket, Black soft shell, might be in Goodwill pile, might be revived.

I'm thinking to get a synthetic puffy/mid-layer, maybe orange, chartreuse, or black. or red. or blue.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So it occurred to me out of the blue that purple pants would also work with these..
655139_200w_300h.jpeg

Found some in my size with 5 pockets, 2 front, 2 side, one back , edge cuff guards and big belt loops delivered for $19.49???

So, now up to

Jackets (Ski jackets, shells, and down mids with zippered pockets):
  1. Blue/White Argyle Millenium Three Visor heavy
  2. Green and White mid weight mountain hardware
  3. White Stormtech lightweight shell, lots of pockets
  4. Darker lime Patigonia down mid layer
  5. Lighter lime Volcom shell
  6. Black CB shell with white
  7. Black TNF shell with grey
  8. Black off brand shell with red and grey
  9. Dark orange and grey Salomon ClimaPro 3 in 1
  10. Red and grey Tyrolia Head heavy
  11. Black/Sage Columbia powder shell.

Pants:

1. Teal Columbia light
  2. Red Artix (off brand) heavy
  3. Sage White Sierra medium
  4. Grey Columbia heavy
  5. White (off white) Airwalk medium
  6. Black DC light
  7. Sage/Grey Spyder light
  8. Black Descente heavy
  9. Black off brand light,
  10. Purple Kaelin medium weight

Fart Bags
  1. TNF Extreme Red/Black
  2. Descente Blue/Black/flash of yellow.
:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:
:roflmao:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Update:

1- long coat shell in chocolate/black trim
1- long coat insulated in blue/black trim
1- short waist jacket shell, fitted, in grey/orange
1- rain shell, loose fit in yellow
1- layerable monkey fur type jacket in black/purple
1- layerable down jacket in green/blue
1- layerable windproof hardface jacket in pumpkin/black
1- breathable mesh-shell in yellow/black (a really odd garment, layerable but has a wind resistant shell, papery feel on the outside, breathable enough to steam when I took my backpack off in 50F)
1- goretex bike/ski skin tight top in yellow
1- monkey fur vest in green
1- down vest in silver

11 garments, only slight quiver overlap. :D

Now if only I could find a ca.'96 Dynastar duster ...

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Now if only I could find a ca.'96 Dynastar duster ...

I have a plain black leather duster, lined, full grain, super heavy. I always wanted a Nasty Boys painted duster LOL!
a9523791601ea7d28581dbf9482a7673.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I have a plain black leather duster, lined, full grain, super heavy. I always wanted a Nasty Boys painted duster LOL!
a9523791601ea7d28581dbf9482a7673.jpg

Now imagine a below-the-knees one of those^, with a wind collar and a cape back, in purple with a bit of magenta tone, and Dynastar logos. Hippest coaches' coat I've ever seen.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ya mine's almost to my ankles, with the big flap over the shoulders. I think theirs would be on most normal size people. They're like 6'6"-6'8" tall.

You know, the ski gear closet space wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem if I didn't also have 100+ pro and college sports jerseys from NFL, NHL, MLB, World Cup, Premiere League, La Liga, etc, concert t's from almost every big venue show I've seen since high school... and business casual and suits, and real everyday coats and jackets. All my dedicated ski jackets and pants are taking up half of my son's closet at the moment.:rolleyes:

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Now imagine a below-the-knees one of those^, with a wind collar and a cape back, in purple with a bit of magenta tone, and Dynastar logos. Hippest coaches' coat I've ever seen.
You know that would also go great with my Lunatics!:roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online