• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How Deep Are Your Pockets?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I need the other pockets empty so I can manage significant others' items
Cat Tracks/ski straps/spare hood/gaiters/ ski patrol benefit T-shirts
spare goggles, lip balm, sun screen, Kind Bars...

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I carry my wallet, car key, phone, ski straps, and goggle sock. If I ski with @Tricia I also carry her ski straps because there's no room for them in her pockets because she has a chicken tender in there. And women's clothing doesn't have a lot of/big enough pockets.

Both my Northface shell and Jack Wolfskin shell have massive front pockets, plus inside pockets and chest pockets. If I loaded them up all the way I'd have to move up to the next length of ski for proper suspension. One thing that drives me nuts are "ski" jackets that don't have a pass pocket in the sleeve somewhere. With the proliferation of RFID now there's no reasonable reason to not have those pockets.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Exactly!
Anyone here ever seen Odermatt carrying something in his pants pockets while crushing gates? Nope. Mikaela? Hell no! That boyfriend of hers? Not a chance.

There you go then.
So you’re free skiing in a speed suit?
You really need to get out more!
This poor snow season has warped your mind.

Tonight’s installment is for you. You don’t know what you’re missing in that speed suit.

So I’ve been getting stacks of $20 bills sent in. Keep ‘em coming, but the $100 bill stacks just look…betterer, so consider that. Eventually we’ll get enough to be worthy of a boa swallowing a deer comparison, but there’s a way to go. It will actually be highly practical in that it’ll answer the question, “If you find yourself a modern day Patty Hearst, ‘forced’ to rob a bank in the middle of a ski day, how much could you fit into these Strafe Capitol Pants?”

First, back to the purely practical as opposed to the theoretically practical. You’re out early, skiing back to the condo to those late sleepers in the fam. You’ll swing by the mid mountain market and pick up breakfast. We already know a dozen eggs will fit, but what about a full pack of English muffins?
We have the answers-

60E3CC52-9533-448E-B790-B4D00DF6C414.jpeg

A pack of six. These are frozen. Thomas’s slogan is “Wake up to What’s Possible” I’m confident they’ve never considered the possibility of skiing with a pack of muffins in their front pants pocket. Who needs a backpack?

Here we go-
F0067AC2-AA8D-4685-88F1-911FE03DFFD9.jpeg

Headed in.

4652B0C6-69CD-48BD-829C-41D7A5341201.jpeg

Yep. No problem. Easier to ski than the eggs or the half gallon, for sure. I think you could zip back to the condo in no time with these in the pocket. For zipping along, I would recommend only getting a quart of milk for the other pocket.

Ok, what if you’re going to ski back to the condo to bake some English muffins? Could you ski to the market, pop off the skis and pick up a bag of flour? Flour in the US is commonly sold in 5lb (2.3kg) bags.

This is where I had to say “don’t be completely ridiculous.” But what about you put some of that flour in a bag? I just happened to have a kilo to test it out.

13926011-E5D2-4EB5-9C74-E610135765EE.jpeg

A kilo of high gluten flour to make a batch of bagels. Not feeling very English.

CAE9DD70-47E8-47CC-8A8E-F31A70F0DF25.jpeg

Open wide.

567A7BDC-C600-4FEE-A81F-38A4995845AB.jpeg

It’s in. So feel confident you can pick up enough flour to make bagels for the whole family and friends. The raw shaped bagels should sit in the fridge overnight though before boiling and baking. So, you’ll be up early.

But wait… have we even tried the 5lb bag?? No. For years those boas slithered past baby deer and said “no way, don’t even think about it”. Then one day, one of them said “maybe I’ll give it a shot” and the rest is history. I was ready to just move on and not even try. Because the Rangers were already up 2-0 in the first period, even though I was done with tonight’s pocket testing, I decided to see if the bag could at least make it in the zipper without the pants on. It still seemed like no way, but maybe…

Since it passed that test of just fitting in the pocket opening, which I really didn’t think possible, it was time to put the pants on yet again and go for the full test.

4C70EB4E-8595-4C70-B92F-0197D4732FDD.jpeg

The bag. Whole wheat bagels would not be my first choice. The gluten level is also a bit low. (I was forced by lack of proper flour to make some nearly whole wheat bagels in Paris. Not good. After, walking through an Eataly (yep, bathrooms!) I saw some high gluten Italian white flour. Too late)
White Wheat is just a different variety of wheat. Most whole wheat flour here is made from Red Wheat.

Enough diversion, lets see if we could ski home with a full bag of flour.

4C52AC9B-0234-480C-832E-A095AF7D7C61.jpeg

Woah, it’s large, but fitting in so far.

51F3367B-06A2-4328-A6BD-AEBE371C3F1F.jpeg

Ok it’s in, but is closing the zipper possible? I really don’t want to have to send this back to Strafe for warranty repair. “I was just skiing along… I popped into the mountain market and picked up a bag of flour. Seeing as my hands and jackets were full with the baby turtles and fish I picked up for the kids at the Top o’ Mountain Pet Store, I had to put the flour in the pants pocket. Isn’t that what ‘4 way stretch’ is for?”

So, very carefully pulling the material together and moving the leg to assist, I slowly closed the zipper.

2AB31624-C9AE-4B11-A44B-3AA78996A3FF.jpeg

And it fit! Don’t forget, this isn’t a “cargo”pocket, it’s beneath the surface. I have no idea what Recon Elite 3L “4 way stretch” fabric means since there’s only 3 dimensions, but it’s working.
Surely this bag in a pocket is worthy of a new Chrissie Hynde song.

Women must now be thinking, ”Wait, I can’t fit my hand up to my knuckles in my front pocket, and these men’s pants fit a 5lb bag of flour??”

Yeah, it’s completely nuts. A 5lb bag of flour actually fits into a pants pocket. (Size XL) Thank the Rangers for going up 2-0 in the first period over the Devils otherwise we might never know.
For any of these heavy things, I would upgrade the stock suspenders. They’re too soft. They seem just passable for normal use, but still, I have inexpensive North Face pants with beefier, and simpler, suspenders.

Moving on, you want to stop at the on trail liquor store, pick up a quick bottle…

8B71B599-1C20-4CCA-8A00-89AE352D6810.jpeg

750ml

60A45763-D5CA-4AFA-A558-D8A6E1FD7122.jpeg

This is going to be too easy. Swallows it right up. Child’s play. Best not to race slalom like this though.

8F10C36B-E738-461E-B288-5C4B0BBBB605.jpeg

Let’s slide a 500ml bottle of water in there as a chaser.

E5493AFE-AB7C-4494-94F9-85B14CE54895.jpeg

Whiskey and water completely in. Willie Nelson is singing about it. The most expensive cargo yet, take it easy back to the condo.

What about something for the dinner? Could a bottle of wine fit in there? @Tony S would like to know. What’s this crap a pocket is for chapstick? Are you kidding me?? We’ll put a full bottle of wine in there.
I measured one, it’s 12 inches tall (30.5cm). That’s big. It’s also heavy.

09B1BF1A-F6D5-4ED5-A8F7-6873E3B77EB1.jpeg

1.3kgs, 2.9lbs. It’s actually less weight than the 3 x 500ml water bottles that fit in, but those are somewhat squishy too.

DC6F0748-A102-498F-B207-6B53A5BF15D4.jpeg

Here it goes…

C55D5616-EC3F-4ADA-86E3-849A976AAA92.jpeg

Looking good

285C8B39-34BB-4262-830E-BE15C563221C.jpeg

Done and zipped. It can even go at an angle in there, would make it easier for skiing. I wouldn’t want to ski Saddleback tight trees, but if forced, could probably do it slowly.

Well there ya go, flour, wine, whiskey, and muffins. A new band.

I should be sponsored, but pants were purchased on sale at Base Camp Killington. Formerly Base Camp Outfitters, but new owners a couple years ago. Great shop, the new owners got rid of the tchotckes that took up a good part of the floor, they now have camping stuff and bikes. They continue with a big AT gear section and lots of quality clothes and gear.

Pants, size XL:

Last edited:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Tonight’s installment is for you. You don’t know what you’re missing in that speed suit.

So I’ve been getting stacks of $20 bills sent in. Keep ‘em coming, but the $100 bill stacks just look…betterer, so consider that. Eventually we’ll get enough to be worthy of a boa swallowing a deer comparison, but there’s a way to go. It will actually be highly practical in that it’ll answer the question, “If you find yourself a modern day Patty Hearst, ‘forced’ to rob a bank in the middle of a ski day, how much could you fit into these Strafe Capitol Pants?”

First, back to the purely practical as opposed to the theoretically practical. You’re out early, skiing back to the condo to those late sleepers in the fam. You’ll swing by the mid mountain market and pick up breakfast. We already know a dozen eggs will fit, but what about a full pack of English muffins?
We have the answers-

View attachment 201014
A pack of six. These are frozen. Thomas’s slogan is “Wake up to What’s Possible” I’m confident they’ve never considered the possibility of skiing with a pack of muffins in their front pants pocket. Who needs a backpack?

Here we go-
View attachment 201015
Headed in.

View attachment 201016
Yep. No problem. Easier to ski than the eggs or the half gallon, for sure. I think you could zip back to the condo in no time with these in the pocket. For zipping along, I would recommend only getting a quart of milk for the other pocket.

Ok, what if you’re going to ski back to the condo to bake some English muffins? Could you ski to the market, pop off the skis and pick up a bag of flour? Flour in the US is commonly sold in 5lb (2.3kg) bags.

This is where I had to say “don’t be completely ridiculous.” But what about you put some of that flour in a bag? I just happened to have a kilo to test it out.

View attachment 201018
A kilo of high gluten flour to make a batch of bagels. Not feeling very English.

View attachment 201017
Open wide.

View attachment 201021
It’s in. So feel confident you can pick up enough flour to make bagels for the whole family and friends. The raw shaped bagels should sit in the fridge overnight though before boiling and baking. So, you’ll be up early.

But wait… have we even tried the 5lb bag?? No. For years those boas slithered past baby deer and said “no way, don’t even think about it”. Then one day, one of them said “maybe I’ll give it a shot” and the rest is history. I was ready to just move on and not even try. Because the Rangers were already up 2-0 in the first period, even though I was done with tonight’s pocket testing, I decided to see if the bag could at least make it in the zipper without the pants on. It still seemed like no way, but maybe…

Since it passed that test of just fitting in the pocket opening, which I really didn’t think possible, it was time to put the pants on yet again and go for the full test.

View attachment 201023
The bag. Whole wheat bagels would not be my first choice. The gluten level is also a bit low. (I was forced by lack of proper flour to make some nearly whole wheat bagels in Paris. Not good. After, walking through an Eataly (yep, bathrooms!) I saw some high gluten Italian white flour. Too late)
White Wheat is just a different variety of wheat. Most whole wheat flour here is made from Red Wheat.

View attachment 201026

View attachment 201024
Ok it’s in, but is closing the zipper possible? I really don’t want to have to send this back to Strafe for warranty repair. “I was just skiing along… I popped into the mountain market and picked up a bag of flour. Seeing as my hands and jackets were full with the baby turtles and fish I picked up for the kids at the Top o’ Mountain Pet Store, I had to put the flour in the pants pocket. Isn’t that what ‘4 way stretch’ is for?”

So, very carefully pulling the material together and moving the leg to assist, I slowly closed the zipper.

View attachment 201027
And it fit! Don’t forget, this isn’t a “cargo”pocket, it’s beneath the surface. I have no idea what Recon Elite 3L “4 way stretch” fabric means since there’s only 3 dimensions, but it’s working.

Women must now be thinking, ”Wait, I can’t fit my hand up to my knuckles in my front pocket, and these men’s pants fit a 5lb bag of flour??”

Yeah, it’s completely nuts. A 5lb bag of flour actually fits into a pants pocket. (Size XL) Thank the Rangers for going up 2-0 in the first period over the Devils otherwise we might never know.
For any of these heavy things, I would upgrade the stock suspenders. They’re too soft. They seem just passable for normal use, but still, I have inexpensive North Face pants with beefier, and simpler, suspenders.

Moving on, you want to stop at the on trail liquor store, pick up a quick bottle…

View attachment 201036
750ml

View attachment 201037
This is going to be too easy. Swallows it right up. Child’s play. Best not to race slalom like this though.

View attachment 201038

View attachment 201040
Whiskey and water completely in. Willie Nelson is singing about it. The most expensive cargo yet, take it easy back to the condo.

What about something for the dinner? Could a bottle of wine fit in there? @Tony S would like to know. What’s this crap a pocket is for chapstick? Are you kidding me?? We’ll put a full bottle of wine in there.

View attachment 201041
1.3kgs, 2.9lbs. It’s actually less weight than the 3 x 500ml water bottles that fit in, but those are somewhat squishy too.

View attachment 201042
Here it goes…

View attachment 201043
Looking good

View attachment 201044
Done and zipped. It can even go at an angle in there, would make it easier for skiing. I wouldn’t want to ski Saddleback tight trees, but if forced, could probably do it slowly.

I should be sponsored, but pants were purchased on sale at Base Camp Killington. Formerly Base Camp Outfitters, but new owners a couple years ago. Great shop, the new owners got rid of the tchotckes that took up a good part of the floor, they now have camping stuff and bikes. They continue with a big AT gear section and lots of quality clothes and gear.

Pants, size XL:
@socalguy has a Strafe jacket that has pockets galore. I wonder what we could fit in them?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

We have the answers-

View attachment 201014

Here we go-
View attachment 201015
Headed in.

View attachment 201016

View attachment 201018

View attachment 201017
Open wide.

View attachment 201021

View attachment 201023

View attachment 201026

View attachment 201024

View attachment 201027

View attachment 201036
750ml

View attachment 201037

View attachment 201038

View attachment 201040

View attachment 201041

View attachment 201042
Here it goes…

View attachment 201043
Looking good

View attachment 201044

Pants, size XL:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

This has to be one of the greatest threads I have seen here…:ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's like you can read my mind.

But your post does remind me of my college years when most students would go out to a house party on a Saturday night with a backpack or large purse full of beers. I could comfortably fit a 6-pack of tall boys, approx. 10-12oz cans, or a fifth of liquor and room for a chaser into my old Burton snowboard jacket :)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's like you can read my mind.

But your post does remind me of my college years when most students would go out to a house party on a Saturday night with a backpack or large purse full of beers. I could comfortably fit a 6-pack of tall boys, approx. 10-12oz cans, or a fifth of liquor and room for a chaser into my old Burton snowboard jacket :)
Ah. The secret histories of SkiTalk testers.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
@James driving the news.
Screenshot_20230419-085349_Facebook.jpg

I have these Strafe pants as well. They are more than sufficient for carrying a phone and wallet.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well I actually went to Stafe's website to looky-loo around. I'm in the market for a new shell jacket.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They have some nice jackets, but no red ones. (At least on a quick look-around.)
Yup, but they do have a nice orange "tangerine". With red zipper accents. Should go with my red Stio pants.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
They have some nice jackets, but no red ones. (At least on a quick look-around.)
I just got a red one. And I have a pair of yellow pants. This could be a problem.

Reactions: mdf

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well I actually went to Stafe's website to looky-loo around. I'm in the market for a new shell jacket.

Too bad they don’t ship to Europe, this thread made me a believer :ogbiggrin:

Neither do Stio dammit…

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There is room for more. The pockets go down to the stitch.
20230419_082653.jpg
20230419_082742.jpg
20230419_082921.jpg
20230419_082941.jpg

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Too bad they don’t ship to Europe, this thread made me a believer :ogbiggrin:

Neither do Stio dammit…
Well, we can always get the skitalk enablers train going. Someone can be the middle man for you

Sponsor