• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hop turns?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Nice recovery in Lone Tree. Got to like the roll to your feet maneuver.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I shuddered a bit when I fell and rolled over in Lone Tree last year. :eek:

Here are non-POV and POV shots of me skiing two different steep chutes, Gunsight at Alta and Lone Tree at Snowbasin, hopping as deemed necessary for survival. Lone Tree is the third and fourth clips.

So, I was going to say man you skied it when there were moguls, but then, I think that mogul saved you from a slide! My husband biffed in there twice last season, too. The slo-mo was funny. I don't see too many people skiing down that. I know I never will!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I really love hop turns and wish I still had the stamina to link them down something significant these days...

Hop Turns=Side Slipping with Style! (and not much slippage)..

Too narrow to ski, including wedge?
Too steep and long (or too chicken?) to straighline?
Hop turns or side slipping are the only real alternatives once you're committed... or walking back up..:rolleyes:

It's really really hard if not impossible to wedge in extremely steep terrain. And remember, hop OUT, not UP. It's a whole lot easier. Admittedly I rarely hop turn as a chosen tactic, but sure am glad they're in the bag of tricks. Occasionally when the first turn getting going when a quick direction change is necessary in the tight steep stuff, the hop can be bomb proof.

Sponsor

Staff online