• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m a fan of metal housing bindings over plastic any day. Personally I’ll take the little extra weight for the extra strength and stiffness of a properly designed and built metal binding.

Call me Old School......

#bringbackthe15

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do you realize the difference between a 5.5 and a 6 in actual Nm of release settings? Minimal. A setting of 6 or even 6.5 would be in the "acceptable" range of a 5.5 on the chart.
Guess I'm just a victim of the tyranny of numbers.
As am I. DIN calculator puts me at 5.5 DIN as a level lll skier so that is what I go with. What troubles me about using a binding which bottoms out at 6 DIN is what if I overestimate my abilities and am really a level ll which would have me at a 4.5 DIN? ...the thought keeping me from purchasing a 6 DIN Salomon Shift binding.

JimL

Putting on skis
Skier
So I looked at the release setting charts. It looks like the difference in torque going up or down 1 unit is about 15-16%, which doesn't sound like a lot. That's the difference between a type I and type II, or a type II and type III skier if you are over 50 yo. For younger skiers, the difference between type I and type II is 1 unit, but the difference between type II and type III is 1.5 units for my size, and if you're extra aggressive the setting goes up yet another 1.5 units. I've always had my bindings set at 5.5 and not had an issue with pre-releases, but that's the setting for a Type II skier. Sometimes I consider myself a Type III, and the recommended setting then goes to 6.5.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So I looked at the release setting charts. It looks like the difference in torque going up or down 1 unit is about 15-16%, which doesn't sound like a lot. That's the difference between a type I and type II, or a type II and type III skier if you are over 50 yo. For younger skiers, the difference between type I and type II is 1 unit, but the difference between type II and type III is 1.5 units for my size, and if you're extra aggressive the setting goes up yet another 1.5 units. I've always had my bindings set at 5.5 and not had an issue with pre-releases, but that's the setting for a Type II skier. Sometimes I consider myself a Type III, and the recommended setting then goes to 6.5.
So yeah...IMHO with you being a 5.5,I doubt you would pre release on 5 or blow out a knee on a 6.5 any more that than the 5.5 setting. With all things being equel that the binding tests perfectly it it's right setting.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
#bringbackthe15

Look turntables.jpg

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Bump for 2020!

So can LOOK make me as happy as when I got these...? :D

Look n77s with box.jpg

#bringbackthe15

Last edited:

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice!! now one more thing. How about a 75mm brake : )

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
Nice. The purp to forza looks sick. Also happy the raw color is back.

Sponsor

Staff online