• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hey, Bike Shops: Stop Treating Customers Like Garbage

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I saw this and thought of the guy in the article that started this thread.
encourage everyone.jpg

Joe Strummer

Getting on the lift
Skier
Up here in the True North strong and Free (aka Canada) we have a co-op called Mountain Equipment Co-op. Since you have to be a member ($3) to purchase anything, you get a very different customer experience. Is it the best bike shop in the world? No. But I can bring my bike in any time for a quick repair/tweak.

My experience is that in retail, most staff are paid minimum wage with no benefits. If staff got paid a decent wage, I'm sure customer experience would improve dramatically. But as has already been said, just vote with your feet.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
we basically have 4 bike shops in town, I only shop at one, Steamboat Bike and ski Kare because they treat every single person who walks through the door with the same high level of customer service. ZERO attitude. One of the other "high end" shops is so far off the arrogance scale, I can't even walk in the door, they are only first to the other shop which is just ever so slightly less arrogant. :). the 4th is marginally ok but not near Steamboat Bike ...... Now, if we want to talk about shops carrying product, that's another story :).

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Doesn't that cut both ways?

Absolutely.
Now that I'm on my computer instead of mobile....

I think sometimes someone who is overweight feels bad about doing things like cycling because its hard to walk into the shop, or pull on the spandex shorts, or....

I hope that we all can encourage that person to get out there and do it, whether its someone who is super knowledgeable but just happens to be overweight, or the person who's trying to get off the couch and start to make changes in life.

This isn't about bike shops but all of us, its just that the story the guy told in the link of the OP came to mind when I saw this.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
When I see the title of this thread I think of the North Korean newsreaders talking about Mike Pompeo "human garbage" or whatever they have chosen for that day.

The picture above reminds me of a riding student my wife once had. She was somewhere in that size range. Bonnie felt really bad, but she had to ask her to stop riding. They were using the biggest horse they had, but every time she sat on the horse you could hear him go "oomph" as she got on. He soldiered through it, but it was clearly not good for him. She was just trying to do some physical activity - it ain't easy. Too bad there weren't e-bikes then.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
This was many years ago -- I was living in Virginia at the time -- but I used to lead rides with the local cycling club there. We were going to do a ride on Skyline Drive (essentially the northern extension of the Blue Ridge Parkway) and I was delusional enough to think I was a pretty strong hill climber. The usual climber types (100 pounds soaking wet) showed up along with this guy on some ancient bike wearing a tank-top and blue jean shorts.

We started up the first climb and Mr. Ancient Bike was GONE. Any delusions I had where I thought I was a pretty strong rider vanished right then and there.

It was a good "don't judge a book by the cover" lesson.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Now that I'm on my computer instead of mobile....

I think sometimes someone who is overweight feels bad about doing things like cycling because its hard to walk into the shop, or pull on the spandex shorts, or....

I hope that we all can encourage that person to get out there and do it, whether its someone who is super knowledgeable but just happens to be overweight, or the person who's trying to get off the couch and start to make changes in life.

This isn't about bike shops but all of us, its just that the story the guy told in the link of the OP came to mind when I saw this.
I agree.
Step 1: DON'T put on spandex if you're uncomfortable about wearing it!! I don't understand this need to kit up in pro gear when you're taking a spin around the bike path. It's like if you're riding a bicycle you have to be Chris Froome guy. Put on a t-shirt and a pair of baggy-shorts. And if you're judging, like KevinF says, you're going to learn a lesson one day..cuz decent riders don't always wear spandex..I never/rarely do. Not saying I'm bad-ass bike guy, but I've done my share. Get good cycling shoes, some baggy/touring MTB shorts and have at it. You don't need spandex.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The usual climber types (100 pounds soaking wet) showed up along with this guy on some ancient bike wearing a tank-top and blue jean shorts.

We started up the first climb and Mr. Ancient Bike was GONE. Any delusions I had where I thought I was a pretty strong rider vanished right then and there.

It was a good "don't judge a book by the cover" lesson.
There were some riders around here that would just do that...real strong riders that would show up on K-Mart bikes, hockey helmets, jeans, etc...they did this to just show other riders up. They did it for their own amusement and quite frankly to be mean.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sometimes I must cringe in sports that we must wear the correct stylish clothing to be able to do it. In my up bringing money was tight, you bought what you needed to do your sport, skiing meant boots, skis, poles, goggles and anything that passed as warm clothing, fashion didn’t matter.

Biking come on, gotta wear $200 tights, $300 jersey just to cycle around the block :doh::doh::doh::doh:!

Seriously a good quality bike doesn't have to cost $2 to $5k. If it shifts, brakes and and rolls meeting your needs, even if it only costs $100.00 it more than meets the needs.

Seriously, sports as a whole has be become a bling statement vs what it should be....about fun as much as we can get no matter the ability or the expense of the equipment or accessories.

Lets get it back to the right reason....healthy fun and not make it a wealth statement, I think the sports industry will attract more clients that way.

James

Out There
Instructor
DON'T put on spandex if you're uncomfortable about wearing it!!
Clearly they don't follow this rule in France. Probably all of Europe. Well, I guess they're comfortable with it. It's highly uncomfortable to the eyes, but there they go all kitted out with team spandex. Climbing the hills that the Tour de France might go on.

We went up some on a mt bike after coming down ski trails. They had a van to ride back but how lame would that have been? Once going up... van might have been a good idea. Could've walked faster. Those hills are insane. It's super impressive what the pro riders do. That was below Les Deux Alpes. The Tour came through there the next year I think. (L2Alpes is a dead end)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've never worn spandex and have the lack of skills to prove it. It was a real eye opener in 9th grade in 1991 when the girls started wearing spandex in the nice weather.

We were at Burlington Coat Factory a couple weeks ago and I mortified my kids when I put on this compression padded shirt and walked around the store browsing and making conversation with strangers.

upload_2019-7-23_13-38-7.png

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
From 6:17..... :golfclap: Tough to beat the genetic lottery no matter what clothing you're in.

And more on message to the original thread ....

Long since way back when I haven't cared about what anyone rides on or in. I still love the ad hoc social component of bike rides whether group or solo, but here seems to be a lack of friendly, cordial 'hello' s on the road when passing, etc... (and maybe not all too different than what we find on the ski hill), but why is it no one chats or says 'hello' much any more? And why do people freak out if you jump on the back of a group when they pass by? Sure, it's your job to say 'hi, mind if I sit on and rest a bit?', and of course not to interrupt their paceline, etc... but man, each individual and group are like their own little islands. With women, I get it. There are some creepy dudes out there and it's sad times we live in, but man, it often seems cyclists sort of hate each other. We shouldn't.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've never worn spandex and have the lack of skills to prove it. It was a real eye opener in 9th grade in 1991 when the girls started wearing spandex in the nice weather.

We were at Burlington Coat Factory a couple weeks ago and I mortified my kids when I put on this compression padded shirt and walked around the store browsing and making conversation with strangers.

View attachment 77566
I was hoping for the actual pic of you in it :D

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree.
Step 1: DON'T put on spandex if you're uncomfortable about wearing it!! I don't understand this need to kit up in pro gear when you're taking a spin around the bike path. It's like if you're riding a bicycle you have to be Chris Froome guy. Put on a t-shirt and a pair of baggy-shorts. And if you're judging, like KevinF says, you're going to learn a lesson one day..cuz decent riders don't always wear spandex..I never/rarely do. Not saying I'm bad-ass bike guy, but I've done my share. Get good cycling shoes, some baggy/touring MTB shorts and have at it. You don't need spandex.

I am uncomfortable about wearing spandex because I've gotten all sorts of rude comments yelled at me from cars and other passerbys but it is by far the most functional for riding, at least on a road bike, so I still wear it. I cringe inside when I get those comments and if I notice a window on a car being rolled down next to me I prepare for the onslaught. I can tell myself "at least I'm out here" every day but that doesn't mean that it isn't tough to deal with the comments. To be clear, my "kits" are usually black shorts and some sort of jersey, usually a pattern but not logoed for a team of any sort.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I bike I wear what I wear for about every other occasion, a pair of basketball shorts and an under armour hot gear t-shirt. I avoid spandex cuz it’s like a cheap hotel-no Ballroom!

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
When I bike I wear what I wear for about every other occasion, a pair of basketball shorts and an under armour hot gear t-shirt. I avoid spandex cuz it’s like a cheap hotel-no Ballroom!

Because every cyclist in spandex is incredibly poorly equipped in the reproductive organ arena. Right. :roflmao:

Sponsor