• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hey, Bike Shops: Stop Treating Customers Like Garbage

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From Bicycling:
river-city-bikes-mg-9303-1558375301.jpg

IF LOCAL SHOPS WANT TO SURVIVE, IT'S TIME TO LOSE THE ATTITUDE.
72796cd0-1c63-49b1-a59c-1168c315edd5_1524499446.file

BY GLORIA LIU
Jun 12, 2019
When Richard Boothman’s bike was stolen in 2014, it seemed like the universe was extending him an opportunity.

Then 59 years old, Boothman had only just rediscovered the joy of cycling. In law school, he’d ridden a sleek steel, lugged Schwinn Le Tour road bike. But after he started his family, cycling fell by the wayside. Old high school football injuries led to orthopedic surgeries which led to gained weight. After the kids left for college, though, Boothman started eating better, exercising more. He shed some pounds. He thought about cycling again.

His wife bought him a Trek Navigator—an aluminum comfort bike with bubbly 26-inch wheels. “It was a barge,” he says. “It felt like it weighed 30 or 40 pounds.” But Boothman used it to commute to work, and fell in love with being in the fresh air. When the Navigator was stolen, it was good timing. He had been thinking he might deserve a nicer bike anyway. He set aside $1,000—more money than he’d ever imagined spending on a bike. He was excited.

But then he started visiting bike shops. Five-foot-ten and (at the time) about 250 pounds, Boothman felt what he describes as “a definite snob factor” when he walked into the first few shops near his home in Ann Arbor, Michigan. “It was clear when I walked through the door that I was being typecast,” he says. Though he wanted something sportier, sales people kept directing him toward other comfort bikes, even trying to push him back onto a Trek Navigator.

One experience stood out in particular. A salesman, who was visibly annoyed to have to get a ladder and pull down the only comfort bike in the shop from the ceiling rack, started referring to Boothman as “Clyde”: “Hey Clyde,” he said, “why don’t you sign this release for your test ride?”

“I thought it was kinda odd, but I didn’t think much of it,” Boothman remembers. “About a year later, I learned people of my size are called Clydesdales.”

Full article HERE.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know there are a lot of stores like that. I am a Clyde! I am also a long time cyclist who knows his stuff. It is no different than the patronizing ski shop employees who talk down at the women.
People will ultimately vote with their pocketbooks. The stores that provide a better customer experience will thrive, and the ones that don't will founder and go out of business. History repeating.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That was a really good read and something every shop should include with employee clinics.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have absolutely walked out of both bike and run shops when they have typecast me because of my body. The bike shop that paid attention to me has since gotten more than $5k in purchases from me in just a couple years. I hadn’t been in for months but dropped my mtb for a tune up a week ago. The woman who sold me my road bike last year recognized me and asked how school is going. Yep, they’ll continue to get my money. Bonus, they also have a tap room.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good article and a must read for any specialty sports shop: ski, bike, run, fly fish, paddle...

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Funny..I sometimes have to go to a shop to get some specific things done that need special tools. l go in, tell them what I want and get 50 questions about stuff and derisive commentary on my gear. Dude..I'm giving you simple fscking instructions..if you can't do it, just say so. If you don't want to do it, just say so. I'll find someone who can and I don't have to waste my time. They can be such D-bag shops...some are worse than others..
Just to show I can be fair though..from the other side..some customers are complete clowns too..but as my old boss used to say..it only takes one event to lose a customer forever...

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The part I related to most was the bit about having to spend fifteen minutes auditioning before anyone will take you seriously. I HATE that. Why not assume there is some knowledge and experience behind my question? With an online purchase I could have checked out and moved on ten minutes ago, without the customs interview.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The part I related to most was the bit about having to spend fifteen minutes auditioning before anyone will take you seriously. I HATE that. Why not assume there is some knowledge and experience behind my question? With an online purchase I could have checked out and moved on ten minutes ago, without the customs interview.
I've tried going in and saying "I was a team mechanic for 5 years.." but they just give you this look.. I've tried giving simple instructions that only someone who knows what they're doing would know..and they question why I want to know or why am I doing that. You have to kiss their ass and let them ramble on for a while.. I hate the experience.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
It’s very unfortunate but it happens in ski & bike shops all over.

My wife experienced here in Stowe trying to purchase new ski boots in the fall of 2017. Just because she hadn’t lost the weight from carrying our twin boys, didn’t mean she didn't deserve the time to get a proper boot fit.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
First off, having to deal with the public at large requires a certain skill set. Not many people qualify. Second, many of those jobs don't pay well and so the people that they would need wouldn't want to work there. Those that do it because they like the sport/activity the store caters to are likely fairly experienced with the topic but may or may not be people persons. That's one side of the issue.

Then there are the potential customers. The complete range of experience from ZERO to lifelong. Along with the complete range of attitude too.
Retail is a tough gig. Absolutely couldn't do it except possibly in a very narrow focused niche setting. Well, probably not even then.

For those that do it well, it probably has its rewards. I'm thankful that I can do all my own work and don't have to deal with any of it though...

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Great article worth reading top to bottom, but it's long. Here's an excerpt from near the end that I found particularly compelling.

One incident in particular sticks out. “This guy came into our shop. He was a big dude. He was well over 6 feet, probably 380 pounds. He was so big that he had actually broken the saddle [on his mountain bike] and bent the rails. The wings of the back of the saddle were folded down into each other. He had brought it back to the shop where he bought it and they laughed at him. It had obviously really hurt this guy. And I’m really glad he came into our shop because [my coworker] was like, ‘We’ll get you on tandem wheels, those will hold up better. Here’s a saddle with titanium rails that’s rated to a higher weight and a little wider.’ And I remember him saying, ‘Dude, your legs are gonna be so strong. Once you get out there and start riding, the weight is gonna come off, and you’re gonna be able to able to rip the legs off anyone on the trail.’”

“Watching this big guy, he came into the shop so diminished, and I just saw him have a complete turnaround in confidence,” she recalls. “That was a great example of how some shops can turn people away and some can build them up.”

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
First off, having to deal with the public at large requires a certain skill set. Not many people qualify. Second, many of those jobs don't pay well and so the people that they would need wouldn't want to work there. Those that do it because they like the sport/activity the store caters to are likely fairly experienced with the topic but may or may not be people persons. That's one side of the issue.

Then there are the potential customers. The complete range of experience from ZERO to lifelong. Along with the complete range of attitude too.
Retail is a tough gig. Absolutely couldn't do it except possibly in a very narrow focused niche setting. Well, probably not even then.

For those that do it well, it probably has its rewards. I'm thankful that I can do all my own work and don't have to deal with any of it though...
There is no doubt you are right. But if we are talking privately owned shops here, the things you say are why training must be compelling to owners.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I enjoyed and related to the article. I haven't experienced an extremely negative atmosphere, but more
a blasé one. Its unfortunate. There's a LBS less than a mile away from my house, but everytime I have gone in, I felt like I was an outsider. This experience is contrast to the fun I have at an independent climbing/outdoor shop, even though it's far from me. My LBS is the smaller shop of a the company. When I went to the larger store, I did have a better experience and interaction with the staff. But the overall vibe was definitely "core" focused. And the bathroom was subpar/not planned well/kinda gross.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
After my last move, my LBS wasn't so local anymore, but even with several closer shops that carry nice stuff, I still go there because the guys there are both nice and knowledgeable, and they know me, at least they recognize me.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It’s very unfortunate but it happens in ski & bike shops all over.

My wife experienced here in Stowe trying to purchase new ski boots in the fall of 2017. Just because she hadn’t lost the weight from carrying our twin boys, didn’t mean she didn't deserve the time to get a proper boot fit.
What sucks the most about that is how much your feet change when you are pregnant, let alone with twins.
Not that I'm the best bootfitter in the world, but the one thing I get from clients all the time is that I take time to listen. This is probably why I get a lot of female fit requests

To be clear I'm not posting a finger at @EBG18T , just pointing out one of my rants about this process.
One thing I absolutely hate, and all men should hear this, is when a guy brings his wife in for a bootfit and decides to go for coffee or something but leaves the kids with the wife while she's getting fit. If a man wants his wife to get the fit she deserves, he needs to take the kids with him so she can get undivided and give undivided attention to the process.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Saw this article on Reddit yesterday and thought it was a good read. My LBS is one I've frequented since I was a kid and they've always been good to me—small parts, tuning my front derailleur for free, etc.—but I've seen some recent reviews about them being kind of elitist. High end shop that sells a lot of Pinarello, but will service anything and everything no questions asked. I ride "inexpensive" bikes by roadie standards. Now wondering how much of their attitude is because I look like an endurance athlete, despite being an objectively terrible cyclist. Some of the reviews online indicate sales staff taking a "customer is always wrong" approach. In my experience, dealing with young male sales people is often frustrating in both ski and bike shops (sorry, young guys. I'm one of you)

Definitely encountered a few shops in college like this, though. I wanted a road bike. They insisted on a hybrid. I really wanted something with drop bars, but bought it because they were pushing it so hard. It was okay, not what I was looking for, but fine. Flat bars make an ulnar nerve thing flare up. When it got stolen I bought a used CX bike with the insurance money and never went back to that shop.

Sponsor

Staff online