• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Prowrench78

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Need opinions and some help deciding on a budget trip. We have never been far from home, 850 ft elevation. Bucket list trip to mountains is looking great for next year. I have experience but girlfriend is new to winter sports. We have pretty much narrowed our trip down to Winter Park. Thought about Loveland but we would prefer not to rent a car for the trip. We can fly into Denver, stay a night to get acclimated to higher elevation. Then the next day take the train to Winter Park. We would like to get 3 day lift tickets and either find an inexpensive place to stay or AirBnB for the first time somewhere local.
Would we have problems with overexertion and Altitude sickness being from a low elevation? Would anyone have helpful info on an alternate plan? Any help would be great. Thanks

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Active or not my recommendation is pick up some added arobic type activities long before the trip.

Personally i find swimming a great activity as it helps my lung intake. Otherwise there is the standard items like staying hydrated that make for lower risk.

My trip to steamboat this year I noted canned oxygen which surprised me as the boat is just under 7000 feet.

Maybe population really is aging and falling out of shape ...

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are many threads on altitude sickness here with lots of advice. It is impossible to tell ahead of time who is going to be affected and who is not.

There is an airport shuttle service called "Home James" that goes from the airport to your door anywhere in WP or Fraser. Lodging may be cheaper in Fraser, but most though not all places are served by the local free shuttle, so you have to double check that. We have used VRBO with great success. WP has a great ski school for your girlfriend. Not cheap though. Don't go on a holiday weekend as beginner ski school will be a zoo and she won't have a good experience.

Ski Granby Ranch is another option. @Doug Briggs I believe skis there and may have some intel for you. Small hill but perfect for a beginner. Lots of nearby lodging and much less expensive but not sure if they have public transportation there so you may want a car if you go that route.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My choice for a cheap trip is DTW to SLC. I stay at the Camelot Hostel in SLC and rent an AWD from Rugged Rentals. There's a dynamite street taco stand at the Sears a few blocks from the hostel, and within a half hour there are more resorts than you can shake a stick at. The first time I went I saved costs by using public transport to Alta/Bird, but decided it was worth the cost to rent. Staying in Sandy closer to the base of the canyon would shorten the bus ride significantly.

For altitude mitigation I get a prescription for acetazolamide, which works really well unless you're allergic to sulfa drugs; its also a diuretic so you need to make sure you stay hydrated (which you should do anyway). You start taking it the day before you go to altitude. I take an early morning flight, and go straight to the hill even if it's just to walk around the base area for an hour to get the "climb high, sleep low" thing going and see how I'm feeling. Stay hydrated, limit your alcohol intake, and go to bed early. Without meds, on the first day:
I can tell the difference at 6,000' but it's not bad.
9,000' gives me noticeable windedness with exertion, I start waking up at night and I may get a slight headache.
10,000' and above the first day is noticeable even with no exertion.
Loveland Pass three hours after I arrive in CO isn't something I do unless I have to, and not for long.​
Your results may vary.

You might want to study this, keeping in mind the elevations you're looking at visiting: https://www.princeton.edu/~oa/safety/altitude.html

Last edited:

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
The ski train from Denver would be a unique experience, but I would make a few tentative plans and go where the snow was best. There are times when A Basin and Loveland are deep when other CO resorts are thin. The SLC option mentioned is another alternative with public transportation ski buses going up LCC and BCC, though on snow days having a AWD rental is best.

Acetazolamide (generic Diamox) works well with the cautions described about hydration, but makes fingers and toes tingly in some people and can make carbonated beverages like beer or club soda taste odd. Small price for quick acclimatization to altitude.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I'd get the girlfriend some lessons in Michigan before the trip.

Diamox (acetazolamide) is a prescription medication, so you'd need a doctor to prescribe it. Most won't for altitude unless you can provide a history of needing it. Not everyone does.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t think you necessarily need to chase powder storms. It’s your first trip to any Western North America mountains and even without a bunch of fresh powder the conditions will likely be fine for your newer-to-skiing GF. Sounds like you’re identified and prioritized your criteria and it sounds like it’ll be a fun trip.

aerojack

Putting on skis
Skier
We go from Ohio to Winter Park every year. Never had an issue, but we are generally fit. We feel the altitude, but no sickness. I know it depends on the person though.

Winter Park is a great place. Convenient to DIA, low crowds, generally good snow, lots of variable terrain. Great for beginners.

We’ve stayed in town and at the village. Lots of options. Fraser Crossing/Founders Pointe is great if the budget allows. Need to drive to town though for good eat out options. It is quiet in the village after slopes close.

We’ve taken the shuttle, but just prefer to drive. Lots of parking options, free and otherwise, and convenience of leaving when you want.

We’ve hit up some of the other resorts at times in the area - Copper, Keystone, Beavercreek, Loveland - but always return to Winter Park. Definitely our favorite spot out there.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One other thing to note is that I’m not sure you can count on the train being in service next year. It has been on again off again the last several years. There’s other ways to get to WP so just wanted to mention it.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t think you necessarily need to chase powder storms. It’s your first trip to any Western North America mountains and even without a bunch of fresh powder the conditions will likely be fine for your newer-to-skiing GF. Sounds like you’re identified and prioritized your criteria and it sounds like it’ll be a fun trip.
No doubt. The first time I went out west the locals were apologizing profusely for the lousy conditions, but it was some of the best snow I'd ever seen.

sky_chicken

Putting on skis
Skier
My wife and I originate from sea level towns and now live in MI. We’ve been many times to the mountains of NM or CO with little altitude issues. You might expect tiredness, headaches, and poor sleep. I would caution against prescription medication unless you have experience with severe altitude sickness issues. I would guess that the vast majority of all the visitors at the resorts are not on such medication.

You’ll likely be having so much fun you’ll barely notice even if you do have symptoms.

aerojack

Putting on skis
Skier
My wife and I originate from sea level towns and now live in MI. We’ve been many times to the mountains of NM or CO with little altitude issues. You might expect tiredness, headaches, and poor sleep. I would caution against prescription medication unless you have experience with severe altitude sickness issues. I would guess that the vast majority of all the visitors at the resorts are not on such medication.

You’ll likely be having so much fun you’ll barely notice even if you do have symptoms.

Yeah, the headaches are definitely an issue. Hydrating is key.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
and even without a bunch of fresh powder the conditions will likely be fine for your newer-to-skiing GF.

I think more accurately, "The newer-to-skiing girlfriend will much prefer groomers to fresh powder." Powder is pretty, but most people don't take to it without a struggle.

We go from Ohio to Winter Park every year. Never had an issue, but we are generally fit. We feel the altitude, but no sickness. I know it depends on the person though.

Keep in mind, altitude sickness is generally unrelated to fitness level. It's more a physiological issue. Having said that, being fit will help with the general lack of oxygen during effort!

Quoting for extra emphasis.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Winter Park sells 4 packs of lift tickets at a much better value than 3 of X day tickets - so I'd suggest going with a 4 ski day trip.

Invest in lessons for your GF. Do not plan to teach the GF yourself. As the adage says - "Ski lessons are cheaper than a divorce".

Your general plan of fly into Denver, come up on the Ski train (or a shuttle), ski a few days, head back is a great one.

I suggest you stay in Winter Park, or at the Resort so you have the best access to the local public transport network (runs 7am-1am during the winter season). Fraser is also plugged into that network, but your options are less flexible for departure/arrival times.

For whatever reason - Winter Park consistently skis *great* in a low snow year, so you shouldn't worry too much about snow quality if you're booking in advance (anything after mid Jan should be rock solid for the kind of terrain you're looking to ski).

Don't chase powder with your GF until she's confidently skiing blue terrain completely parallel, or you're going to book her into a (preferably private) lesson on a powder day.

One other thing to note is that I’m not sure you can count on the train being in service next year. It has been on again off again the last several years. There’s other ways to get to WP so just wanted to mention it.

The train should be running next year - I believe there's a contract/plan through at least 2020, and there's talk of expanded service. Beyond that it's a profitable route that's doing great for Amtrak (or was last year at any rate). Worst case - you book a shuttle a week out from the trip instead.

aerojack

Putting on skis
Skier
Winter Park sells 4 packs of lift tickets at a much better value than 3 of X day tickets - so I'd suggest going with a 4 ski day trip.

Forgot about the 4-pack, that is a great suggestion. At least the last two years those have been $179 for 4 days. If you get them early enough, they are un-restricted. After a while, the unrestricted goes up in price and a restricted 4 pack is available at $179. Check early for them. If you follow WP on twitter, I think they usually announce them.

aerojack

Putting on skis
Skier
Invest in lessons for your GF.

This also...the ski school at WP is awesome. And from personal experience, Magi in particular is a stellar instructor if you can swing private lessons. I learned more from him in 6 hours than 6 seasons trying to teach myself.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Private lessons are great, but for one person hardly qualify as a “budget trip” the OP stated he was looking for.

I love the train idea but it is limited in the times/days it runs. There are plenty of shuttle companies too. As in all tourist areas, on mountain food is expensive, especially for the quality ($3 hot cocoa from powder and hot water?).
Mary Jane side base lodge has an upper level for sack lunches that has microwaves, and water glasses. Go there while your girlfriend is in lessons. If she picks it up quick bring her there the last day or even two.

Will your girlfriend be skiing or snowboarding? If she is undecided, I would highly recommend skiing. Beginner skiers have more fun and get around way more than beginner snowboarders. Also, a lot of the beginner terrain at Winterpark is beginner-snowboarder-unfriendly: long flat stretches and some catwalks.

Can she get an afternoon lesson somewhere local before you go? Indoor or on a local hill? Then do at least one day of (group)lessons for her in Winter Park.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online