• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Could you talk more about the "feel". I could extrapolate, but this is one of those terms I read about (like playful) that I have difficulty imagining. I'm sure, once I understand it'll be obvious (and I'll feel stupid) but for now, could you please...........
A better connection from Pivot gives you more feel. Let me try giving another example...take a car with a (using round numbers) a 205/60/16 tire verses a 205/50/17 tire, both are going to roll the same (approx) speed but the 50 series sidewall will give you a better road feel because of the shorter sidewall.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
A better connection from Pivot gives you more feel. Let me try giving another example...take a car with a (using round numbers) a 205/60/16 tire verses a 205/50/17 tire, both are going to roll the same (approx) speed but the 50 series sidewall will give you a better road feel because of the shorter sidewall.
Got it! I'm from Detroit, this I understand!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The short mount distance of the Pivot allows the ski to bend easier and smoother which creates that feel.

AFAIK, Tyrollia has addressed "bend easier and smoother" by having a sort of hinged mounting of the Attack toe piece. There is a plastic lip that is first attached to the ski with 2 screws and then 2 tabs that stick out of the front of the toe piece slide under the plastic lip, and then the toe piece is affixed to the ski with 2 more screws. So when the ski is flexed there is a hinge like movement at the toe, allowing for a smoother more even flex to the ski.

The above only applies to the retail version of the binding, not the demo binding.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
AFAIK, Tyrollia has addressed "bend easier and smoother" by having a sort of hinged mounting of the Attack toe piece. There is a plastic lip that is first attached to the ski with 2 screws and then 2 tabs that stick out of the front of the toe piece slide under the plastic lip, and then the toe piece is affixed to the ski with 2 more screws. So when the ski is flexed there is a hinge like movement at the toe, allowing for a smoother more even flex to the ski.

The above only applies to the retail version of the binding, not the demo binding.
All manufactures offer some type of float, be it in the heel or toe tbut the shorter mount distance along with basically nothing behind the heel, separates the Pivot from the masses. The also contributes to the lower rotatin weight of the Pivot which also is part of that on snow feel, this is one of the aspects of the Pivot that makes it so popular amongst mogul skiers. We are seeing this shorter mount distance used by Look with their newer Rocker flex bindings. @Tim Hedin mounted up a pair of these on a recreational ski, HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
Why would someone want get off the Motive 95? -hmmm...tired of radioing down to Scotty in the tip asking for a turn and he radios back "I'm working on it Captain!!"?

Bob probably doesn't want the hassle of going to a pivot binding if all he's known are Markers. Switching all the playthings in an old dog's house can be just ... mean.

I have this irrational fear that eventually I will hit a tipping point in getting narrower - kind of like those disaster movies where the climate changes suddenly result in a weather Armageddon.
The sinking to the core of the earth fear? Just think of all those guys in the powder at Alta 30-60 yrs ago. As far as we know, none ever went below the mantle.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
All I know is, it's so hard to step into Markers for me that I replaced them all with Aatacks. I honestly don't think I could have skied the last two seasons in Markers - my knee hurt too much when I stepped in. That's just me, but - how many of us are likely to ski our whole lives without a knee injury?

James

Out There
Instructor
All I know is, it's so hard to step into Markers for me that I replaced them all with Aatacks. I honestly don't think I could have skied the last two seasons in Markers - my knee hurt too much when I stepped in. That's just me, but - how many of us are likely to ski our whole lives without a knee injury?
That Griffon style is horrible for a short boot. The Pivot would be a huge upgrade compared to that. But Bob goes well back before the Griffons and his boot isn't short so even a Griffon isn't that bad.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Over the past two years...I seem to be installing a lot more Attacks than in the past. I would say at my shop it is now the most installed binding....It is a great install as is the Warden.

I have started to recommend the Attack 13 to most of my friends.....they like the feel/ease of in/out. Here’s my friend Kim’s Volkl 90eights I did this Sat.

5407C8A8-D41F-4C12-9D67-007377320908.jpeg

*I still go with the Jester for my Katanas...and Pivots for my ON3P’s......

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That Griffon style is horrible for a short boot. The Pivot would be a huge upgrade compared to that. But Bob goes well back before the Griffons and his boot isn't short so even a Griffon isn't that bad.

My boot ain't that short (306, I think). I have no doubt that Bob can step into a Griffon. I'm just saying ... if one is a significantly easier step-in than the other, that's worth noting. And it definitely is. Also nice for things like stepping into the binding in lots o' powder. Yes, you can generate that much force - but you're less likely to collapse your snow shelf if you can step more lightly.

TS
bbinder

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

My boot ain't that short (306, I think). I have no doubt that Bob can step into a Griffon. I'm just saying ... if one is a significantly easier step-in than the other, that's worth noting. And it definitely is. Also nice for things like stepping into the binding in lots o' powder. Yes, you can generate that much force - but you're less likely to collapse your snow shelf if you can step more lightly.

I'm not sure that I like you guys talking about what I can and can't do with a Griffon ;). As far as stepping into one - well, I did take an oath not to harm animals, and I am pretty sure that this oath extends to mythical ones.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm not sure that I like you guys talking about what I can and can't do with a Griffon ;). As far as stepping into one - well, I did take an oath not to harm animals, and I am pretty sure that this oath extends to mythical ones.

Look, you can do whatever you want as long as you get enthusiastic consent ...

TS
bbinder

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
“replacing my Fischer Motive 95 skis” sounds so wrong.

But why do you want to replace the Fischers?

I don't really want to replace them. I am just playing that game where I am pretending to buy new skis, and prioritizing demos when the opportunity presents itself. My Motives have quite a few days on them, and the edges and base got somewhat beat up last winter, so I am looking at some major repair issues on a well used but well loved pair of skis. I do have a line on a pair of barely used Motives that will be heading my way in the near future, so getting another pair of similar skis, even at the mythical low price, is somewhat decadent. I am serious about the bindings however - my Jesters are several years old, and I am curious about trying a different brand. Phil - how quirky is quirky on the Pivots? It can't be as quirky as the original Marker Rotomats...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil - how quirky is quirky on the Pivots? It can't be as quirky as the original Marker Rotomats...
Noooooo. Nothing is. Sometimes when you get out of the binding the heel might not stay open and you have to re cock it and in deep snow, it is susceptible to getting snow under the brake tredle. Past that...easy peazy. Ask anyone who uses a Pivot, the pluses out weight the minuses.

James

Out There
Instructor
If the experience 94 is anything like the 88 that's a nice ski. And quite handsome too in its understated elegance way. Hmmm... that fits Bob, so there's the ski. I'm sorry, but the bindings will have to be color coordinated.

The other ski in the category not mentioned is the Atomic Vantage 97? Whatever Phil had at Abay last May. @mdf loved it. Looked very nice. Exterior is handsome too, more in a "I love red, but I use it in the right amount and tone it with neutrals to make it modern" That ski would look good on the back of the Porsche. (Wait, is the Porsch green? Hmmm...not sure well, if it's the green of the 911 in The Bridge, esp if she's driving, it's good)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The other ski in the category not mentioned is the Atomic Vantage 97? Whatever Phil had at Abay last May. @mdf loved it
Atomic Vantage 97Ti at 180 cm
Here is what I said:
This is a stiffer ski than I usually ski. At first, I felt that I was being thrown around in uneven snow. But the more I skied this ski, the more I liked it, even in the conditions that gave me trouble at first. (My theory is that “passive” absorption with loose knees isn’t really all that passive, so a stiffer ski requires subtle timing changes.) This ski ate up all the weird snow we challenged it with. I liked the energy it gave back when I pushed it into tight turns. My second favorite ski of the week.
Who is it for? Strong skiers looking for a strong and precise ski
Who isn’t it for? People who don’t want to pay attention

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Why would someone want get off the Motive 95? -hmmm...tired of radioing down to Scotty in the tip asking for a turn and he radios back "I'm working on it Captain!!"?

I haven't been on the Liberty, but I have watched you ski a little bit. Not only HOW you ski, but WHERE you ski on the same hill I'm on. You ski more groomers, more deliberately, more elegantly, more tail-follows-tip, than a lot of Pugs, some of whom dive into terrain like it was a mosh pit. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!) Between what you say above and what I have seen, I'm thinking you should consider gravitating toward the more long-turn-carvy end of things in terms of shape, but with a more all-mountain flex pattern. Huh? What's that? Did someone just say, "doctor-lawyer ski?" Not me. Anyway, it sounds more like a Liberty or a Mantra than those other ones.

(Edit: Or even a Kendo. Grump? )

TS
bbinder

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tony, thanks for the comments! I WISH that I could dive into terrain like it is a mosh pit!

James

Out There
Instructor
One of these days....Grump will lose his Kendo obsession, and the world will quietly advance a few notches.
Atomic Vantage 97Ti at 180 cm
Here is what I said:
This is a stiffer ski than I usually ski. At first, I felt that I was being thrown around in uneven snow. But the more I skied this ski, the more I liked it, even in the conditions that gave me trouble at first. (My theory is that “passive” absorption with loose knees isn’t really all that passive, so a stiffer ski requires subtle timing changes.) This ski ate up all the weird snow we challenged it with. I liked the energy it gave back when I pushed it into tight turns. My second favorite ski of the week.
Who is it for? Strong skiers looking for a strong and precise ski
Who isn’t it for? People who don’t want to pay attention
What was your favorite ski? Was it that green banana dps?

some of whom dive into terrain like it was a mosh pit.
Somehow this needs to be nailed on the wall here.
I skied the new M5. I wouldn't recommend it for Bob unless for some reason he wakes up and can't go to work without buying an M5 Mantra. For one, if while sitting on a chair the tips happen to clack together, it sounds like 2 quarter inch sheets of plate steel. That harsh's the vibe. Second, the front of that ski is still searching for it's role. It really doesn't know what it wants to be. Mid to tail I loved it, especially if you work/play with it. Very versatile and fun. But why get half a ski? I'm not sure even the mosh pit divers would be happy with it.

Sponsor

Staff online