• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
bbinder

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know that the Mantra has changed/evolved over the years, but I had an argument with the Mantra years ago about skiing in some bumps. Let’s just say that the Mantra and I agreed to disagree. I still hold a grudge, however. I guess I have not evolved much...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The M5 is still a ski I am trying to figure out too...Funny I was told that I had no credability as a reviewer because I wasn't gaga over the new ski. :nono:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The M5 is still a ski I am trying to figure out too...Funny I was told that I had no credability as a reviewer because I wasn't gaga over the new ski. :nono:

Don't worry, Phil. You're perfectly capable of lacking credibility all on your own, without the aid of some stupid Völkl.

:duck:

JK

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Don't worry, Phil. You're perfectly capable of lacking credibility all on your own, without the aid of some stupid Völkl.

:duck:

JK
RIIIIGHT!!!! :beercheer:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The M5 is still a ski I am trying to figure out too. :nono:

The reaction from you and tog is actually one of the reasons wanted to try it. You know, just to see.

James

Out There
Instructor
The reaction [to Mantra M5] from you and tog is actually one of the reasons wanted to try it. You know, just to see.
You should. I so wanted to like it. Well, I liked half of it. Had I liked both halves I would've skied it all day, but it was a free demo.
The construction is kind of like an Fx95hp, but the press uses 10x as much pressure. A very dense construction. Not super heavy brcsuse it's thin. I think they're on to something, somewhere, but whether it can be anything is another question. If volkl be volkl they'll just abandon it.
IMG_5082.JPG

IMG_5083.JPG

The other half of the day I skied a Fischer Fis Sl, with the hole, in like a foot of slush.
IMG_5081.JPG

Yes, an old Mojo 15 on there. I stripped them off the hart Laddies.

So, you know those people who pooh pooh snow coming through the hole? Well, they're completely wrong and it does. A lot. Duh. I'm not sure why they deny it, but many do. It was like spray coming off a motor boat hitting waves. Thwack, thawck, Corn hitting the shins. Kind of fun. Best not to ski corn at speed in shorts. No face shots really, thankfully.

The Nordica Navigator 85. (186 cm) I just bought a pair.
Ah yes. Very nice!
What will this do for the 183 Stockli AX?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One of these days....Grump will lose his Kendo obsession, and the world will quietly advance a few notches.

Why all the concern about what I like?
It doesn't bother me. I'm in my happy place.
I am perfectly happy with being happy with skis that clicks with no one else on this forum.
I'm also fine the fact that the most raved about skis around here usually don't ring my bell. At least I know what to avoid. It's a win/win. :beercheer:

I don't think about it much. My trick is to have enough skis on call so that if one doesn't work out, there is always plan B.
Roll call for this season.
2018_19 Skis.jpg

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am perfectly happy with being happy with skis that clicks with no one else on this forum.
I'm also fine the fact that the most raved about skis around here usually don't ring my bell. At least I know what to avoid. It's a win/win. :beercheer:

I don't think about it much. My trick is to have enough skis on call so that if one doesn't work out, there is always plan B.
View attachment 59112

BSL?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It will keep it off airplanes. I will still ski it once in awhile locally.

:rolleyes:

If you're gonna keep that thing, you need gates.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Binder I think there’s a lot of experienced skiers whose OSQ is getting not only narrower but also shorter.My new ski for this year was going to be the new 94 from Rossi but I have thought long and hard about it and I’m switching to the 88 and in a 180 instead of the 188 which I could handle no problem but being older 56 I think it’s the way to go for me, 6’1 177 and where I ski, Mammoth.
And Phil those pivots are EXPENSIVE !!

James

Out There
Instructor

Just kidding! But, I though you had like three of them. With this quiver, you are officially off the any one ski board:

IMG_5639.JPG

:rolleyes:
If you're gonna keep that thing, you need gates.
You skied it?? Yikes. I skied it at Killington in April. It was a lot of fun on the low angle cut up powder trail. On Ovation, where it was steep, it was way too much work. My 192cm 95 Stormrider with pivot 18's felt like child's play in comparison.
I think he should sell it to Draghtguy Kevin.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just kidding! But, I though you had like three of them. :

That is Kendo pair #5. They get trash pretty quick. About 100 days on average.

Sponsor