• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Helmet dilemma - what would you choose?

Which one would you choose (see post #1)?

• Fit over tech

Votes: 31 96.9%
  • Tech over fit

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well, if you ski 100 days per year for the 5-year life of a helmet, you will have skied 500 days and probably put the helmet on/off 2x per day, so that is 1000 helmet wear cycles.

For those 1000 helmet wear cycles, fit is the primary factor that mattered.

Then, you have 1 day where your head hits something and you need the helmet tech/protection. There's a good chance the hit does not need the MIPS function in order to help protect your head.

So that 1 helmet wear cycle, you might need the tech.

1000 : 1 ratio of fit vs tech need.

HOWEVER: if your skiing regularly consists of high-energy mishap-laden falls and collisions then I would go for the tech.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Few seasons back, brought a Vantage Asian fit. They used a different descriptor now. I believe it wasn't a politically correct term. Much like Asian fit goggles. They are called low bridge models instead.

You have to admit it IS dumb tho. Not a fan of all that PC garbage but describing a helmet or goggles as Asian, African or Euro is just plain dumb.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If we were still primarily using full coverage helmets, this would be true of skiing as well.

Half-helmets and tensioned cradles are masking us from true helmet shape.

<-definitely NOT a Briko, Carrera, Marker, Uvex, Shred or Sweet head.

Sweet Protection don’t make helmets, they make torture devices for round shaped heads. LOL… I hate them so much… :roflmao:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Sweet Protection don’t make helmets, they make torture devices for round shaped heads. LOL… I hate them so much… :roflmao:

The most ridiculous part of that is when I go through a shop's entire stock of helmets without even a moderately comfortable result - and the sales person is offended, worse than if I had called their children dumb.

Yes, that actually happened. More than once. At shops that are highly rated on this forum.

James

Out There
Instructor
We have a shop rating system?
Most shops would score low on the “Do you know what an overmitt is?” scale. Plus act like you’re crazy. (I think it was worse than the overboot question.) Clearly there’s a gap in how people grew up with wool mittens vs other.
It’s just bizarre. Then, after many failures, you walk into one and they ask,”what size are you looking for?”

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You have to admit it IS dumb tho. Not a fan of all that PC garbage but describing a helmet or goggles as Asian, African or Euro is just plain dumb.

I don't have to admit it is dumb. I know it is dumb. Most of this PC stuff is for folks to assuage their guilt for their past transgressions.
Japan being one of the larger ski markets in the world. I wonder if they label the goggles that fits the majority of their population as Asian fit and the remainder as Gringo fit. :huh:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't have to admit it is dumb. I know it is dumb. Most of this PC stuff is for folks to assuage their guilt for their past transgressions.
Japan being one of the larger ski markets in the world. I wonder if they label the goggles that fits the majority of their population as Asian fit and the remainder as Gringo fit. :huh:

Absolutely!

Although the Japanese would probably say Gaijin, not gringo… :ogbiggrin:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I tried on a few dozen buckets (Giro, Smith, Oakley, POC, Sweet Protection...)

You should be commended!

One of the best cycling helmets -Kask Protone has no MIPS whatsoever.

Kask helmets are the schizzle! They use their own approach rather than simply parroting MIPS. If you have any hair on your head (or balaclava, etc.) MIPS lab testing is hugely debatable.

That gives new meaning to the term "two bagger."

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
What do you folks think about carbon shells? I assume they all pass the same tests, but it a carbon shell really worth double the price?

I tried on a Bern Hendrix this weekend. It was super comfortable for me, but I hesitated a minute since it didn't have adjustable vents or a fancy magnetic buckle (dumb, yes.) They also had a carbon version of the same helmet--price was $150 vs. $350. When it comes to safety I'm fine spending more money. But is this a safer helmet?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What do you folks think about carbon shells? I assume they all pass the same tests, but it a carbon shell really worth double the price?

I tried on a Bern Hendrix this weekend. It was super comfortable for me, but I hesitated a minute since it didn't have adjustable vents or a fancy magnetic buckle (dumb, yes.) They also had a carbon version of the same helmet--price was $150 vs. $350. When it comes to safety I'm fine spending more money. But is this a safer helmet?

I am staring at the Bolle Medalist Carbon on their website as I type this. Super nice helmet but I dont like any of their graphics. Helmet manufacturers should be mandated by law to have a yellow one in their lines.

I am guessing the advantage is more the weight rather than different level of protection.

Reactions: ejj

Sponsor

Staff online