• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Helmet dilemma - what would you choose?

Which one would you choose (see post #1)?

• Fit over tech

Votes: 31 96.9%
  • Tech over fit

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

James

Out There
Instructor
I moved to POC who understand better the fact that helmets are worn while skiing not when attending a funeral
Not getting it.
i refused for years to even consider Poc because they were too stupid, lazy, or stubborn to put in a decent goggle strap retainer.

TS
VladSki

VladSki

Two Aperols please
Skier
Interesting... I've never seen that with other brands. And I don't see it on the Salomon website. Can you literally buy the same model in 2 fits? Or are they different models?

EDIT: I do see on the website in descriptions of the model it will either say "round fit" or "oval fit"... so I guess they are different models; You can't pick a model and then pick either fit. And no, I have still not seen that with other brands - and don't seem to see it for Smith or Giro at least.

Smith does offer two fits for some of their models, e.g.:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There are so many other modes of injury that you are over focusing on the tech of just the helmet. If safety is your concern you need to strap on more gear, not the best of just 1 piece of gear.

Like no snowsports rated helmet will protect you if you slam with your face or if you land on your spine. It is really disingenuous the need to differentiate the "best". I have feelings on that Virginia techs lab and the industry sales motives, but I've stated my opinion before in other helmet threads.

TS
VladSki

VladSki

Two Aperols please
Skier
Well thanks everyone for chiming in with their advice.

After my 10-yr old Lange helmet decided it was time to retire and quietly separated from my backpack on the skin track (unnoticed by me), I tried on a few dozen buckets (Giro, Smith, Oakley, POC, Sweet Protection...), and found two different non-MIPS models from K2 and Rossi to fit best, closely followed by a MIPS couple from POC and Smith.

This is limited data in terms of models/brands, but Virginia Tech has done a lot of helmet testing across many sports, including snow sports. MIPS is shown to be helpful, but there are low rated helmets that include MIPS, and high rated helmets that don't.

That VT rankings is gold! Oddly enough they missed on some high end best sellers like Smith Vantage.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Smith does offer two fits for some of their models, e.g.:

Thanks for that... that made me go get the complete list from the Smith website, and I do see a couple of models that are "round contour fit" in the model name - 5 of them in fact. Like Salomon, they seem to be unique model names... it's not like there's a Vantage, and and a "Vantage round".

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have feelings on that Virginia techs lab and the industry sales motives, but I've stated my opinion before in other helmet threads.

That VT rankings is gold! Oddly enough they missed on some high end best sellers like Smith Vantage.

There's a thread for that more general discussion here:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not getting it.
i refused for years to even consider Poc because they were too stupid, lazy, or stubborn to put in a decent goggle strap retainer.

I have Dura X and Meninx, both are fine. A bit heavy tho compared to Quantum and Vantage.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends on your mind.
If you’re going to constantly worry that your non mips helmet is unsafe and you’re about to die- get the mips and suffer the fit.

One of the best cycling helmets -Kask Protone has no MIPS whatsoever.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
One of the best cycling helmets -Kask Protone has no MIPS whatsoever.

This relates to an issue I never actually worked around to in @dbostedo's thread -

One task I would consider essential of testing a tech-equipped piece of gear is to devise scenarios in which that tech can be circumvented.

Like MIPS. If Virginia Tech doesn't do it, who will? It's completely against the self-interest of the helmet makers. It's trivially easy to gaslight individual users whose MIPS never deployed.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
One task I would consider essential of testing a tech-equipped piece of gear is to devise scenarios in which that tech can be circumvented.
Sure... but that's testing something different than what VT is testing. They're assuming helmets are worn and used properly, and testing how effective they are when they come into play in a standard way.

They DO test the helmets differently based on sport though. The ski helmets are crashed into wedges that simulate two different slope steepnesses and are tested in different orientations and directions to the "slope".

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting... I've never seen that with other brands. And I don't see it on the Salomon website. Can you literally buy the same model in 2 fits? Or are they different models?

EDIT: I do see on the website in descriptions of the model it will either say "round fit" or "oval fit"... so I guess they are different models; You can't pick a model and then pick either fit. And no, I have still not seen that with other brands - and don't seem to see it for Smith or Giro at least.
The Smith Vantage comes in round and oval.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This relates to an issue I never actually worked around to in @dbostedo's thread -

Like MIPS. If Virginia Tech doesn't do it, who will? It's completely against the self-interest of the helmet makers. It's trivially easy to gaslight individual users whose MIPS never deployed.

Tell you the truth in cycling helmets, MIPS or no MIPS makes not one iota of difference. Thats IMHO of course. The GIro tech tho may indeed be helpful-the double shell. For ski helmets, especially the race ones that may be different. I am yet to really test the POC Dura X.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Sure... but that's testing something different than what VT is testing.

Yes. Which speaks directly to @raytseng 's point above.

There are so many modes of failure and neither VT nor anyone else chooses to even begin to survey them.

Tell you the truth in cycling helmets, MIPS or no MIPS makes not one iota of difference. Thats IMHO of course. The GIro tech tho may indeed be helpful-the double shell.

I have strong personal experience reasons to agree with you.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And no, I have still not seen that with other brands - and don't seem to see it for Smith or Giro at least.

it's not like there's a Vantage, and and a "Vantage round".

You are correct, and that's even more confusing. Why just that one model in both, where others have unique model names? Odd.

Few seasons back, brought a Vantage Asian fit. They used a different descriptor now. I believe it wasn't a politically correct term. Much like Asian fit goggles. They are called low bridge models instead.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
You are correct, and that's even more confusing. Why just that one model in both, where others have unique model names? Odd.
I wondered that when I bought it. Seems to be only in the more expensive models. Drive the dollars to a better fit?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
In motorcycles, used to be you were an Arai head or a Shoei head. Arai were more oval, Shoei more round. You KNEW which one you were!

If we were still primarily using full coverage helmets, this would be true of skiing as well.

Half-helmets and tensioned cradles are masking us from true helmet shape.

<-definitely NOT a Briko, Carrera, Marker, Uvex, Shred or Sweet head.

Last edited:

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
This is funny. We're on our second Poc ski helmet for my boy. Nicely made overall, but each had had flawed goggle strap retainers - each bad in a different way. The first had some kind of QA issue so it took a lot of work on my part to have it stay closed. His current helmet has one that works great but seems really really fragile.

Sponsor

Staff online