• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Helmet dilemma - what would you choose?

Which one would you choose (see post #1)?

• Fit over tech

Votes: 31 96.9%
  • Tech over fit

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

VladSki

Two Aperols please
Skier
So, you've been shopping for a new snowsports helmet for a while, and ran out of all options but two - a perfectly* fitting (10/10) helmet without MIPS or Spin, or a "near fit" (8/10) with a protection technology add-on.

* Perfect fit = snug, comfortable, a natural outer extension of your head, feels like you were born wearing one, etc.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Go with fit. That said, there are lots of MIPS (or equivalent) helmets out there, and it would surprise me if you couldn't find one with a great fit.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just bought a new helmet this month at the annual Killington ski club sale. Good price and MIPS technology. Tried it on and it fit like a glove.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
An ill fitting helmet, no matter what latest tech, is not going to protect you as well as a proper fit.

Go with fit.

I concur with favoring fit. MIPS is not a be-all, end-all kind of thing - and only somewhat correlates with helmet effectiveness from what I've read.

This is limited data in terms of models/brands, but Virginia Tech has done a lot of helmet testing across many sports, including snow sports. MIPS is shown to be helpful, but there are low rated helmets that include MIPS, and high rated helmets that don't.

I wish they had a lot more data, but I think you can see that some MIPS helmets show up from the 5-star models down to the 1-star models.

Ade62

Instructor
Skier
Personally I would assume 8/10 is a very good fit. With that score it's not going to expose any risk factors, it might just fall-short of super comfort. That being the case I would go with MIPS. If, however, fit was to compromise safety in any way then that would be a different story.

I have found Smith suits my head shape over a number of years and several helmets.

James

Out There
Instructor
Depends on your mind.
If you’re going to constantly worry that your non mips helmet is unsafe and you’re about to die- get the mips and suffer the fit.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Salomon has 2 fits. Round and Oval. I would assume that others are similar.
Interesting... I've never seen that with other brands. And I don't see it on the Salomon website. Can you literally buy the same model in 2 fits? Or are they different models?

EDIT: I do see on the website in descriptions of the model it will either say "round fit" or "oval fit"... so I guess they are different models; You can't pick a model and then pick either fit. And no, I have still not seen that with other brands - and don't seem to see it for Smith or Giro at least.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you replace it?

They don’t make Quantums anymore and when they still did they didn’t have the good color anymore. That hornet one was kinda one off. Huge shame.

I moved to POC who understand better the fact that helmets are worn while skiing not when attending a funeral

Sponsor

Staff online