• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Helmet dilemma - what would you choose?

Which one would you choose (see post #1)?

• Fit over tech

Votes: 31 96.9%
  • Tech over fit

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What do you folks think about carbon shells? I assume they all pass the same tests, but it a carbon shell really worth double the price?

I tried on a Bern Hendrix this weekend. It was super comfortable for me, but I hesitated a minute since it didn't have adjustable vents or a fancy magnetic buckle (dumb, yes.) They also had a carbon version of the same helmet--price was $150 vs. $350. When it comes to safety I'm fine spending more money. But is this a safer helmet?
I am guessing the advantage is more the weight rather than different level of protection.

Agree, if you want to test the issue, you could attempt to ask them about it. I would wager you will not be able to pin any rep down to say on record that it is specifically "safer" or more protective. Rather you'll get unrelated but legally ambiguous terms like this is our best, our newest, highest performance, or most technological advanced helmet.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree, if you want to test the issue, you could attempt to ask them about it. I would wager you will not be able to pin any rep down to say on record that it is specifically "safer" or more protective. Rather you'll get unrelated but legally ambiguous terms like this is our best, our newest, highest performance, or most technological advanced helmet.

Well, they won’t be lying will they? A carbon shell is indeed best in terms of lightness and hence-performance and tech advancement. The EPP they use for the multi-impact protection is nice but much heavier than EPS. I don’t mind but for some that may be uncomfortable, so if you can still have EPP at a lower weight, that’s a win.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lol, yes technically correct not lying. In my previous post though I used the term disingenuous, as at least a chunk of consumers will conflate best performance to mean safety or protection, and they know it.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I destroyed my helmet yesterday that took a long time to find the right fit. Before I buy a new Smith Vantage does anyone else make a very oval helmet I should look at first?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I destroyed my helmet yesterday that took a long time to find the right fit. Before I buy a new Smith Vantage does anyone else make a very oval helmet I should look at first?

POC. I find them just as comfy if not comfier than Smith. And they come in MUCH better colors than Smith’s uninspiring drab.

Downside is if you also use Smith goggles they don‘t match very well. 4D mag for instance does’t match well with Artic SL or Dura X I have so had to buy POC goggles as well. On the other hand POC lenses are brilliant so no regrets.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
does anyone else make a very oval helmet
Smith fits me well. POC absolutely does not. Oval head. My favorite helmet is Pret. Light, comfy wool blend liner, MIPS, magnetic buckle aid, vents, perfect fit, bit of style. YMMV, obviously.

David

Skier
POC. I find them just as comfy if not comfier than Smith. And they come in MUCH better colors than Smith’s uninspiring drab.

Downside is if you also use Smith goggles they don‘t match very well. 4D mag for instance does’t match well with Artic SL or Dura X I have so had to buy POC goggles as well. On the other hand POC lenses are brilliant so no regrets.
Julbo goggles. I'll give them a look.

David

Skier
Smith fits me well. POC absolutely does not. Oval head. My favorite helmet is Pret. Light, comfy wool blend liner, MIPS, magnetic buckle aid, vents, perfect fit, bit of style. YMMV, obviously.
I tried Pret before but thetmy were way too round for my head.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
???
Sweet Protection don’t make helmets, they make torture devices for round shaped heads. LOL… I hate them so much… :roflmao:
I must be an oval, lol I LOVE the sweet protection looper mips helmet which is very light and very balanced. It's not heavy like the other SP helmets and kind of a sleeper as far as being advertised as a light helmet. I did a lot of looking around to find something that was this light w/ mips that fit me. The only down side is no adjustable venting. However a little bit of strategically placed tape on the front top vent and I've been good spring and winter.....

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Oh hold on, my bad, I meant POC are good for round heads-the pretty ones :ogbiggrin: :roflmao:
For oval-the oddly shaped ones-narrow at the temples Sweet Protection are good.
Sweet….what is so sweet about them i don’t know.

Sponsor

Staff online