• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't seen this bag. Can you post pics of it?
After reaching out to the company I received a response that the upper boots will never be as warm as those in contact with the heating element.
I’ll return and go with one single bag to try. I appreciate the response from Sportube.
Here is a portion of it.

“We do promote the Elite as a heated bag for 1 pair of boot and gear, or two pair at a pinch with no gear. We will made a revision to the website and make it clear that the second pair only gets residual heat. As far as I am aware there are no 2 pair heated boot bags on the market that has a full surround heating pad.”

25A9BDDF-01C5-4ECF-9F0B-48F7CDAE62A4.jpeg
DC92DC55-BF01-4190-9F26-A8E3D5816FC4.jpeg

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are low cost solutions for what a heated boot bag accomplishes. That said having a solid heated boot bag is a total luxury that once part of my routine became a priority. I have a Lange (Hotgear I think) that is really nice, rugged and affordable purchased on sale. But after getting a look at the Kulkea I've been hoping someone would steal the Lange so I can justify the Kulkea (not cheap).

Leaving the Lange in the lodge unattended hasn't worked, I might need to put it out on the curb. The Kulkea heated bag is the bomb. I admit I do have some sort of weird thing for luggage.
I’m in Salt Lake. Give me directions and I’ll make it happen :)

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's what I'd read about the Hot Gear bags, and why I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
@Monique We ended up buying two transpacks. One of them the plastic switch broke, but the company replaced the bag at no cost to us. We've had them for a little over one season of hard use and they've held up well. no heating element issues and very well made... other than the one switch.

@jmills115 The Hot Gear bag is the only one to my knowledge that fits two pairs of boots inside the same compartment. I don't think it is advertised that way but my husband and I used it easily that way -- one pair sole side up and one pair sole side down. THe thing I miss about that bag besides only having to carry one bag, is that it heated up hotter, although maybe that's why the heating element failed.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@jmills115 The Hot Gear bag is the only one to my knowledge that fits two pairs of boots inside the same compartment. I don't think it is advertised that way but my husband and I used it easily that way -- one pair sole side up and one pair sole side down. THe thing I miss about that bag besides only having to carry one bag, is that it heated up hotter, although maybe that's why the heating element failed.[/QUOTE]
This bag had both in the same compartment loaded as you mentioned, one sole side up and one down. The issue I saw testing at home is the sole side up was barely warm. The heating element goes halfway up the sides and stops. I bought it for 2 pair and will return and buy a couple single boot bags

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Monique We ended up buying two transpacks. One of them the plastic switch broke, but the company replaced the bag at no cost to us. We've had them for a little over one season of hard use and they've held up well. no heating element issues and very well made... other than the one switch.

I bought the heated Kulkea last year, but since then I honestly don't think I had any opportunity to use it. Make plans, god laughs, etc.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
FINALLY!!! Bought a Thermal Trekker today on a Black Friday sale. I hated the fact I had to drag my food coma a$$ out of the rack so early, but I saved almost $50 so I did it.

Will be using it next weekend and can’t wait.

:beercheer:

Where is the Thermal Trekker on sale? Link?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It's not just for travel! My heated Kulkea is in action this morning (every ski morning, I think) - it started warming my boots while I walked the dogs.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I finally got to use the Thermal Trekker. Plug it in to the DC outlet in the back of the sportwagen and drove for about 1.5 hours. The bag carried "ALL" my stuff. Granted, I wasn't coaching but going to do some early season free skiing with a friend, but that also meant I put stuff in the bag that I wouldn't, so I'm treating those things as stunt doubles. No gate tape, range finder, radio & harness, batch of hand warmers for forgetful athletes and such, but normally when I'm coaching I wear my ski pants and jacket to the mountain (not that far away) and this time I had all that in the bag. In the boot compartment there was room for more items. It is almost deceiving on how much it will carry.

When I was unpacking it at home, I realized if I had been more organized and didn't just shove things in the main compartment, I could have gotten more in there. In the main compartment I had my Hestra mittens (which are the size of boxing gloves), Kinco mittens and Kinco gloves, ski pants and insulated jacket with hood on it, Orange dry guy boot warmers (which I later realized were redundant) coffee thermos and camelback .75 water bottle. 3 pairs of Socks, 3 pair of glove liners and neck gaiter in the front compartment. I also had some incidental (duct tape, tools Hotronic batteries etc) items in the top zippered pouch.

All that and I was just shoving things in because I was running late. Easily could have gotten more in by just folding or rolling things up and taking the time to decide on each items home.

With regards to how warming the boots worked...

OMG! I love it. :yahoo:

It's like when cell phones first came out. I thought they were stupid until I got one. Now I don't know how people live without one.

The bag is very well made and looks to be very durable. I don't expect to have any issues with it.

My only "con" would be that I'm not a big fan of helmet slings in general. I reminds me of when I was always SCUBA diving and you had to constantly remember that your girth was more than it felt like because of the tank on your back. We all get used to the backpack being there and can account for the extra foot behind us when slithering through crowds and doorways. Now there is another 6 or 8 inches added to that. I'm sure in no time I'll get used to that as well, but I did bump into a few things first time out.
Maybe in future revisions that can be moved to the top somehow.:huh:

There is one other con which is probably only in my head. I've never been worried about leaving my gear in a cubby when visiting other mountains. I was getting ready to hang the Thermal Trekker on a hook and someone stealing it just for the bag flashed through my head. I imagined coming back to the hook and seeing all my crap dumped on the floor and no more Thermal Trekker :( I opted for a spot tucked in a corner with my friends bag keeping it out of site :D.

Well done Mr. Abramowitz, well done.

Ken

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've never been worried about leaving my gear in a cubby when visiting other mountains. I was getting ready to hang the Thermal Trekker on a hook and someone stealing it just for the bag flashed through my head. I imagined coming back to the hook and seeing all my crap dumped on the floor and no more Thermal Trekker :( I opted for a spot tucked in a corner with my friends bag keeping it out of site :D.
Just so you'll know it wasn't wasted effort, had I seen it I would have definitely dumped out all the stuff and stolen the bag.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My only "con" would be that I'm not a big fan of helmet slings in general.
I have used the helmet sling a few times on the Powder Trekker (reviewed here and here) but that was at the gathering last year when I had everything and the kitchen sink in the bag. With some creative packing I can put the helmet inside either the Thermal Trekker or the Powder Trekker where it's easier to move around. It also keeps the helmet from getting beat up in the car. I agree a sling on the top might be a better placement.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Funny - I would have guessed that whoever wanted the bag would just abscond with it quickly, gear and all. Apparently @Lorenzzo is an unusually considerate thief!

Sponsor

Staff online