• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
I finally got to use the Thermal Trekker. Plug it in to the DC outlet in the back of the sportwagen and drove for about 1.5 hours. The bag carried "ALL" my stuff. Granted, I wasn't coaching but going to do some early season free skiing with a friend, but that also meant I put stuff in the bag that I wouldn't, so I'm treating those things as stunt doubles. No gate tape, range finder, radio & harness, batch of hand warmers for forgetful athletes and such, but normally when I'm coaching I wear my ski pants and jacket to the mountain (not that far away) and this time I had all that in the bag. In the boot compartment there was room for more items. It is almost deceiving on how much it will carry.

When I was unpacking it at home, I realized if I had been more organized and didn't just shove things in the main compartment, I could have gotten more in there. In the main compartment I had my Hestra mittens (which are the size of boxing gloves), Kinco mittens and Kinco gloves, ski pants and insulated jacket with hood on it, Orange dry guy boot warmers (which I later realized were redundant) coffee thermos and camelback .75 water bottle. 3 pairs of Socks, 3 pair of glove liners and neck gaiter in the front compartment. I also had some incidental (duct tape, tools Hotronic batteries etc) items in the top zippered pouch.

All that and I was just shoving things in because I was running late. Easily could have gotten more in by just folding or rolling things up and taking the time to decide on each items home.

With regards to how warming the boots worked...

OMG! I love it. :yahoo:

It's like when cell phones first came out. I thought they were stupid until I got one. Now I don't know how people live without one.

The bag is very well made and looks to be very durable. I don't expect to have any issues with it.

My only "con" would be that I'm not a big fan of helmet slings in general. I reminds me of when I was always SCUBA diving and you had to constantly remember that your girth was more than it felt like because of the tank on your back. We all get used to the backpack being there and can account for the extra foot behind us when slithering through crowds and doorways. Now there is another 6 or 8 inches added to that. I'm sure in no time I'll get used to that as well, but I did bump into a few things first time out.
Maybe in future revisions that can be moved to the top somehow.:huh:

There is one other con which is probably only in my head. I've never been worried about leaving my gear in a cubby when visiting other mountains. I was getting ready to hang the Thermal Trekker on a hook and someone stealing it just for the bag flashed through my head. I imagined coming back to the hook and seeing all my crap dumped on the floor and no more Thermal Trekker :( I opted for a spot tucked in a corner with my friends bag keeping it out of site :D.

Well done Mr. Abramowitz, well done.

Ken

Thanks for the kind words Ken! We're always looking for feedback. Love it!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@KULKEA - you're probably the wrong audience for this question, but - I've been warming up my Fischer Vacuum fit boots on the low setting. It does get pretty toasty in there after 1-2 hours. How hot could it get on low? Am I putting my boots at risk?

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
@KULKEA - you're probably the wrong audience for this question, but - I've been warming up my Fischer Vacuum fit boots on the low setting. It does get pretty toasty in there after 1-2 hours. How hot could it get on low? Am I putting my boots at risk?

Hey Monique! Regardless of the setting, the temp in the boot pockets max out at 110-115 Fahrenheit. The effect it'd have on custom boot elements was at the forefront of development. Most folks interested in a heated boot bag likely have custom liners/insoles. To my knowledge, we haven't destroyed any yet! But seriously, you should be fine.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Most folks interested in a heated boot bag likely have custom liners/insoles. To my knowledge, we haven't destroyed any yet! But seriously, you should be fine.

Great info regarding no damage to custom heat molded liners and footbeds but we have (and I'm sure many other's will as well) custom heat moulded liners, insoles AND custom heat moulded shells:

1) So what about the impact to thermally molded boot shells. For example: Fischer's Vacuum heat mouldable shells, Salmon's Xpro 120 custom heat mouldable shells etc,? I really concerned that heated boot bags will release (or maybe weaken over time) the fantastic custom fit we are enjoying from these two boot models. We have 3.5 hr drive to the hill so a heated boot upon arrival would be great and also help speeding up the drying process upon the return trip.....(And if the answer is they won't harm thermal mouldable shells can you please explain how this was determined)

2) Any timeline on an upgrade to the heated boot bag to include a timer/auto shut off?

Those two concerns are purchase factors for us.

Thanks!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
1) So what about the impact to thermally molded boot shells. For example: Fischer's Vacuum heat mouldable shells, Salmon's Xpro 120 custom heat mouldable shells etc,?

FWIW, Kulkea was responding to my question about Fischer Vacuum.

I have it in my head that Fischers are molded at 120* ... @Doug Briggs , do you know?

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
Great info regarding no damage to custom heat molded liners and footbeds but we have (and I'm sure many other's will as well) custom heat moulded liners, insoles AND custom heat moulded shells:

1) So what about the impact to thermally molded boot shells. For example: Fischer's Vacuum heat mouldable shells, Salmon's Xpro 120 custom heat mouldable shells etc,? I really concerned that heated boot bags will release (or maybe weaken over time) the fantastic custom fit we are enjoying from these two boot models. We have 3.5 hr drive to the hill so a heated boot upon arrival would be great and also help speeding up the drying process upon the return trip.....(And if the answer is they won't harm thermal mouldable shells can you please explain how this was determined)

2) Any timeline on an upgrade to the heated boot bag to include a timer/auto shut off?

Those two concerns are purchase factors for us.

Thanks!

Fisher vacuum packed boot plastic shells are impacted around 170F, so they are safe too! I worked 10+ years in the back of ski shops with bad feet, so I certainly understand the stakes at hand. Im currently having flashbacks from the time I over boiled my technica boots.

With regard to auto shutoff, its under consideration but far from any timeline consideration.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Great info thanks! I'm guessing my 2015 Salomon Xpro 120 boot's heating process/temps are similar to the Fischer's...there is still a fair margin with the boot trekker bags heat maxing out at 115 F.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Great info thanks! I'm guessing my 2015 Salomon Xpro 120 boot's heating process/temps are similar to the Fischer's...there is still a fair margin with the boot trekker bags heat maxing out at 115 F.
You'd have more chance of messing something up leaving your boots in a car on a warm, sunny day than in a heated bag. It's SOOO nice putting on a toasty boot.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
Funny - I would have guessed that whoever wanted the bag would just abscond with it quickly, gear and all. Apparently @Lorenzzo is an unusually considerate thief!

Disclaimer - I’m not a thief. I just think about this stuff trying to protect my stuff.

Nothing to do with consideration. If the bag is unattended all the good stuff is out on the mountain, so unless you’re looking for someone’s smooshed pb & j and smelly snow boots that probably won’t fit, dump it so you don’t have to lug it around. Besides, when it’s empty, it would be easier to conceal.

Jeffdag

Putting on skis
Skier
Time to revive this thread. Looking to buy a LARGE heated bootbag, have my choice narrowed down to the Kulkea and the Snow Eagle Pro. The Snow Eagle Pro seems to be about 10% bigger (70 liters vs 62), both about same price.

If you have had either, or both, of these bags, weigh in with your thoughts, recommendations. Thanks.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Time to revive this thread. Looking to buy a LARGE heated bootbag, have my choice narrowed down to the Kulkea and the Snow Eagle Pro. The Snow Eagle Pro seems to be about 10% bigger (70 liters vs 62), both about same price.

If you have had either, or both, of these bags, weigh in with your thoughts, recommendations. Thanks.
I don't know about theSnow Eagle but have been using the Kulkea Thermal Trekker for almost 40 days this year. Love it. If I pack neatly I can get all I need in it. I used a Kulkea Powder Trekker last year for almost 80 days and it looks brand new. The quality of both bags is outstanding.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

One member here commented on Hot Gear Bags (the previous name of Snow Eagle) and said "Hot Gear Bags are like Volkswagens, you need to have three of them to get one to run". He currently is usung a Kulkea Thermal Trekker.

Jeffdag

Putting on skis
Skier
One member here commented on Hot Gear Bags (the previous name of Snow Eagle) and said "Hot Gear Bags are like Volkswagens, you need to have three of them to get one to run". He currently is usung a Kulkea Thermal Trekker.

Ok, Thanks for the info. Looking at the Kulkea tomorrow, to see if I can fit all my gear. If so that will be the bag, otherwise may roll the dice on the larger Snow Eagle.
(disclosure, been emailing with Sven Coomer, developer of Hot Gear and Zipfit Liners, and his wife Mary. Bought my Zipfits though them and they have been great to deal with, so I am a little biased in wanting to continue to support them. She has bags available...)

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
to see if I can fit all my gear
Don't forget to use the space in and around your boots for gloves, extra socks, hats, etc.

Jeffdag

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks. No doubt the Kulkea is a great bag, I just tend to carry a lot of stuff......and I leave no space or cavity unfilled.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
upload_2019-2-7_19-23-23.jpeg

This is a pic from my review of the Kulkea heated bag. I carry too much gear and it fits with room to spare.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I have yet to have a boot bag that I didn't wish was bigger. I've also come to realize that some of the items I carry, I was carrying because they fit but some items never saw the light of day. Coaches tend to carry lots of gear especially when going to "away" races because there are items you might need because the athlete forgot something or needs a quick repair - "Coach! I left me goggles home." or "Coach! I can't find my..."

While I'm a hoarder of gear and pack like a boy scout ("Always be prepared"), I've been being more selective on what I need in my boot bag and what I need in the car. I didn't start doing this because the Thermal Trekker couldn't handle what I wanted to carry. I did this because I was carrying too much stuff and most times if it was pulled out, it was to help someone else out (i.e. extra pair of socks, or hand warmers etc). Aside from my athletes (they're U10 so I make exceptions for them), it isn't my responsibility to save everyone else ski day. Again, this is aside from away races.

I started with, "What am I taking on the hill with me?", then "What do I want in the lodge?" and finally, "What do I want just in case?". Some of the items I want on the hill get pre packed in the pockets I want them in on the hill. Others, like my radio, go in the bag. It's amazing how many items I wasn't using, and still brought/bring. Like a pen I have in my jacket that hasn't seen the light of day since I put it there. There's also the emergency tune kit with a few basics just in case I hit a rock or something of the sort. Some basic tools in case someone needs to make a binding change or forgot the screwdriver for their SL chin guard. Once or twice a season those things come out but I'll never not carry them while coaching. Don't forget the duct tape. Used it last weekend on a racer's pole when his basket came off before his run.

I get all in the picture above plus a .75 L water bottle, small coffee thermos (12 oz?), course tape, lunch bag, tuning kit with tools (shoved in a old goggle case), spare drill battery, drill, hotronic battery packs, radio in a carrying case attached to a construction workers belt.

As mentioned in another post, using the boot compartments to full potential is key.

Ken

Jeffdag

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks, purchased the Kulkea, boots warming as I type. Definitely a nice bag, still not convinced it's big enough.......
Couple of questions, is it ok to leave helmet and goggles in bag when heating? And is 8 hours too long to have bag heating (even on lowest voltage setting?)