• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks, purchased the Kulkea, boots warming as I type. Definitely a nice bag, still not convinced it's big enough.......
Couple of questions, is it ok to leave helmet and goggles in bag when heating? And is 8 hours too long to have bag heating (even on lowest voltage setting?)
I killed a set of lenses by leaving them in an (athalon) heated bag. It didn't have separate pockets like the Kulkea does, so you might not have issues.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't cooked anything yet though I guess it could happen. Also, the three setting all get to the same temp, just at different rates unless something has changed. Do be aware your boots will be nice and cozy warm but they will also be soft until they cool down.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
As mentioned, the goggles and helmet would not be in the boot heating compartment (at least that isn't the intended location) so the only see the residual heat. I've been using the thermal trekker since the end of November with no issues.

In the owners manual, there is a recommendation to durations to be heating dependent on the setting.

If you put the boots on when they are too warm, though it might feel good, I think (at least for me) it causes your feet to swell a little (heat expands) and my boot buckle need adjusting. Once on the hill and cooler, they need to be adjusted again.

This has only happened when I was cooking them on high on the car ride to the mountain (I have an AC Outlet in the car). I don't run it on high anymore except for maybe at lunch when trying to warm them and in the little time I have, it only makes them less cold.

Part of this is from wearing race boots with no extra room. Any variation changes the fit. I've also been compared to "The Princess and the Pea" when it comes to how things fit and feel, especially boots and shoes. My wife says I'm impossible and on "the spectrum" so consider the source.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am hesitant to leave my goggles in the middle compartment of my Thermal Trecker. Even it is not a “heated compartment,” it gets quite warm and I am concerned about cooking the lens. Although not recommended, I routinely have my bag plugged in for 10 or more hours.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have found that I can get the shells warm enough for easy on in the 35 minute ride to the hill. Not toasty inside but easy on. I have also warmed them over night and rode 3+ hours from Reno to Mammoth and they were warm enough for easy on when we got there.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I've never had problems heating everything I need for skiing in either the Hotgear bag or the Kulkea, even on high. Goggles have never been affected. I've had to drink warm water when I forgot that was in the bag, but the hot Cliff bars weren't half bad.

Jeffdag

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks. I opened the helmet compartment and let it hang out so no problems with heat overnight.
Boots were toasty this morning, but not as warm as expected.
Planning on using bag as slow cooker tomorrow to make lunch whike I'm skiing. Any recipes?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. I opened the helmet compartment and let it hang out so no problems with heat overnight.
Boots were toasty this morning, but not as warm as expected.
Planning on using bag as slow cooker tomorrow to make lunch whike I'm skiing. Any recipes?
Yes...Olive Thyme bread with a slice of Jarlsberg wrapped in foil. Set bag on high. Garnish with fresh figs.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Might be too complicated to be worth the trouble.

In 2003 the voltage used throughout Europe was harmonized at a nominal 230v 50 Hz in practice it still varies from country to country so any electrical appliance should be able accept 207-253v.

The bags would also have to comply with the European Union’s Low Voltage Directive (LVD) (2014/35/EU) and carry a CE mark. Without the CE Mark, you cannot legally sell to consumers within the EU and could potentially face fines, product recalls and even have your product banned from the market.

I was very surprised to find that my Hot Gear 220v boot bag didn’t have a CE mark.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
As mentioned, the goggles and helmet would not be in the boot heating compartment (at least that isn't the intended location) so the only see the residual heat. I've been using the thermal trekker since the end of November with no issues.

In the owners manual, there is a recommendation to durations to be heating dependent on the setting.

If you put the boots on when they are too warm, though it might feel good, I think (at least for me) it causes your feet to swell a little (heat expands) and my boot buckle need adjusting. Once on the hill and cooler, they need to be adjusted again.

This has only happened when I was cooking them on high on the car ride to the mountain (I have an AC Outlet in the car). I don't run it on high anymore except for maybe at lunch when trying to warm them and in the little time I have, it only makes them less cold.

Part of this is from wearing race boots with no extra room. Any variation changes the fit. I've also been compared to "The Princess and the Pea" when it comes to how things fit and feel, especially boots and shoes. My wife says I'm impossible and on "the spectrum" so consider the source.

I want to update the highlighted part. I was working on my boots today and found the real culprit of the need to change the buckle tightness. It isn't from heating the boots. It was because the heel lifts I glued in broke free and were moving around.

Broke out the duct tape (for now) and will be trying to see when I can get to a fitter for new boots (there's a couple other issues besides the heel lifts).