Grinding Away Ski Tips

Discussion in 'Ski School' started by Ulmerhutte, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte Putting on skis Skier

I consistently (ie on every ski I have ever owned) grind away my ski tips while skiing and I have no idea why. I asked several ski instructors and they just shrugged their shoulders. There is obviously something peculiar with my technique and I am hoping somebody here had a similar problem and discovered the answer.

This what one of my pairs of skis looks like:

[​IMG]

BTW: does anybody know from where I could source some tip protectors? Google has not been much help. I have worn away the protective metal strip to the point where (on the underside), it is almost to the base material.

2. razie

razie Sir Shiftsalot Skier

did you mount the bindings on the right side? :eek: :roflmao:

SpikeDog likes this.
  3. T-Square

T-Square Terry Moderator Instructor

Wow, interesting. We would probably need video of you ski where we can see your skis clearly to determine what is happening.

On first thought you might be skiing with a very tight stance. This would cause your tips to rub on each other. I’ve seen this on a high level skier using new equipment with older (very close together skis) techniques.

Kurt and Mendieta like this.
  4. geepers

geepers Out on the slopes Skier

Willing to bet it's from skiing with your feet locked together so that the edge of the lead ski wears down the tip of the other. A photo of my aging Bushwackers would show something similar although the CSIA crew have been progressively beating it out of my skiing. My more recent skis don't show nearly as much tip wear.

Learning to ski with the feet slightly wider apart can be difficult. My habit was entrenched from decades of skiing feet locked together. Also lots of mogul skiing, where a narrower stance is beneficial.

It remains a constant battle to keep one foot from lazily resting against the other. The two things that have worked for me:

1. Be aware of the inside leg.
    2. Ski behind a buddy (who is using a narrow stance), keeping one skis either side of the tracks in front. Do a few medium speed groomer runs of that. It will feel like doing the splits at 1st but the exaggerated width helps when returning to normal skiing. Repeat as needed.

5. noncrazycanuck

noncrazycanuck Getting off the lift Skier

I used to have the same problem, too many years of locked boots and knees.
    even on a mid fat shaped, if your skiing locked in, in every mogul trough either the tip or tail really has no where else to go but on top of the other.
    ski sloppier your skis will appreciate it.

for what its worth i also initially glued tip protectors onto some skis, did help, but simply not skiing so close together should solve the problem.

6. fatbob

fatbob Making fresh tracks Skier

Guess you don't designate a left and right ski then? I do and will always have more wear and tear on the inside tips. Don't regard it as a big deal. Wider skis and rocker will always have a bit of tip deflection and when you are in circumstances requiring a tighter stance like bumps you'll inevitably get some rattle off the other ski occasionally.

Unless I'm wrong and people are rigidly able to keep ski separation in all terrain at all speeds.

7. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

It looks like you are swapping left and right skis because the wear is even. Look at opening your stance, and in the meantime go to a boot fitter and getting your alignment checked, a bad alignment could be pulling your feet together.

Mendieta likes this.
  8. graham418

graham418 Out on the slopes Skier

" Ride the Buffalo" was the mantra that my course conductor gave me a long time ago to break me of the narrow stance. I still repeat it to myself

9. Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson Out on the slopes Skier

It's hard to tell how you could cross the tips that much without running into big trouble. I think they look cool. Nothing some nail polish or magic marker can't cover up.

Actually, how about covering the ground area with nail polish and either taking video or having an instructor watch you ski. Then you can take the video/instructor feedback and correlate that with the the specific damage?

Sibhusky likes this.
  10. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

Impressive!
    Lazy inside foot perhaps with your very narrow stance. Start concentrating on the inside foot instead of the outside.

Your other option is to switch to the Liberty V series skis which have a very low tip. Very. That could help nestle it on top. I know someone who likes that ski for that very reason. Old school 70's style, very narrow, once a hot dogger.

As to tip protectors, I just removed a Blizzard/Nordica slalom ski set. It might work, though screws might hit the window. You could glue it. Problem is, that's an Fx95? Tip would be much wider. But, ask at a shop that sells thise race skis. They're frequently getting broken by gates.

11. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

Any decent motorcycle shop should be able to make him a pair of Dynastar-type riveted cover plates - to fit the 95.

12. fatbob

fatbob Making fresh tracks Skier

Hmm clearly I'm a knock knee'ed freak from the state of my tips this on my widest pow skis which don't have the heaviest rotation

20190814_164849.jpg

Is this really not normal?

13. dbostedo

dbostedo Asst. Gathermeister-- Jackson Hole 2020 Moderator

Why?

14. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Because they are evenly worn on both sides.

15. dbostedo

I think you misunderstand. I'm not asking how @fatbob knew @Ulmerhutte didn't designate a right and left ski... I'm asking why fatbob DOES designate a right and left ski. I don't see the point. (Barring them being Amphibio's.)

Sibhusky likes this.
  16. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

If I squint *really* hard I could see an argument for less risk of delam - there is one side at least that stays fully bonded, including all the epoxy fillets around the terminal ends of the ski edge(s).

17. James

Stop squinting, you’re getting a frown.

The OP’s tip wear is significant. Fat Bob’s is not. At some point Bob will end up with slalom tips, because of the lack of switching, but at this rate the ski will be retired.

18. dbostedo

Still doesn't explain why Fatbob cares which ski is on which foot.

19. KingGrump

KingGrump Most Interesting Man In The World Team Gathermeister

Perhaps Bob likes to line up the graphics on his White Dots. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

James likes this.
  20. James

I certainly wouldn’t attempt to explain fatbob.

Btw, that’s the fatbob with the lowercase ‘f’, like the American “hart”, not the Japanese “Hart”.