• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Dragging at speed on the tarmac did it for me. Two thin layers of titanal, plus the heel of the Griffon. Courtesy of either Denver Airport or LGA. I'd normally go with Lga, but they needed some distance.

In your case, let see, there were asphalt, concrete, tractor, luggage trailer and several ramp rats involved. Not to mention the whole luggage conveyor system. Oh, and a big dose of I really don't give a rat's a** attitude.

I think all that qualified as "a lot."

TS
Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
Banned from testing because of a few scratches?

The OP didn't say ho many ski days on those tips. As a closet tip scraper, I can tell you it adds up over the seasons in the bumps.

Over 200 ski days. (I have track to use as evidence that I need/want new gear. Works most of the time, ogsmile)

Also, I am consistent. All my skis, as far back as I can remember, have that tip “feature”.

TS
Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
Be careful about adding tip protectors. I religiously remove them from my skis (I ski K2 a lot). If they are not super flush on top and bottom the tip protectors can hook together - a real problem even if it’s just for an instant when you’re not expecting it! It’s not a problem on groomers but in bumps or in crud and powder where your tips might not always be precisely where you think they are - watch out!

That is a very good point.

I am getting the protectors from Kästle, so I hope they will fit properly. If not, I will not use them.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Another item of evidence for the ski scraping on ski skeptics:duck:.

IMG-3347.jpg

Aging Blizzard Bushwackers. These have >200 days. Worn more on the inside part of the tip as the top sheet pattern is left/right asymmetric (outline of a bull's head like the Brahmas which only makes sense when the skis are one way) so many more days with the skis in the left/right arrangement as pictured. However used to swap the skis over to delay paying for a tune hence wear on the other side of the tips when they were on the inside.

My Rossi 84 Exp (generic image as I left them overseas) have tip protectors. Not had an issue with them catching.
Rossi84-Exp-Tip.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
People, you’re allowed to clean up the tips when you tune. A coarse file, a panzar, sandpaper, sandpaper drum in a drill. Lots of options. Are your topsheet/sidewall edges as bad?
They look a lot better cleaned up esp when there’s metal in them.

TS
Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
I fear that if I cleaned up the tips, then the base material would be exposed. Here is a photo of the tip from the base side:

48556544677_7ba142da47_c.jpg

Note how little metal remains at 11 o’clock on the shot.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Another item of evidence for the ski scraping on ski skeptics:duck:.

IMG-3347.jpg

Aging Blizzard Bushwackers. These have >200 days. Worn more on the inside part of the tip as the top sheet pattern is left/right asymmetric (outline of a bull's head like the Brahmas which only makes sense when the skis are one way) so many more days with the skis in the left/right arrangement as pictured. However used to swap the skis over to delay paying for a tune hence wear on the other side of the tips when they were on the inside.

Those look exactly how I'd expect a pair of skis at 200 days to look. Perhaps some of the leg separation paragons could post pics of their non worn tips on skis which have done similar mileage.

As for cosmetic tidying, why bother? Tools not jewels and all that.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Starting from the right - ski tip (base) , ski tip (base), binding (front piece), Ski boot.

The skis are bending a lot.
The black piece in the middle of the yellow is the water dam at the toe area of the boot.

Last edited:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
img_1808-jpeg.78525

Finally willing to ask.
What is that yellow/white item on the left, next to the ski tips?

That's the boot. Black eye shaped graphic is on the top of the toes, toes facing you.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't have any skis that remotely approach the magic number of 200 days. My skis usually only see about 80-100 days before there are put out to the big white slope in the sky.

The tip of a pair of Kendo after 92 days.
These are my DD. I have been known to do a few bumps here and there.

Kendo 2018.jpg

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Those look exactly how I'd expect a pair of skis at 200 days to look. Perhaps some of the leg separation paragons could post pics of their non worn tips on skis which have done similar mileage.

As for cosmetic tidying, why bother? Tools not jewels and all that.
There are people who do almost no damage to any part of the ski except wear the bottoms/edges. I have family members I can take their ski and after 50+ days it looks nearly new, where in one day on mine there’s no way anyone would buy it as “like new” just because of chips on top sheet or the tip.

As for cleaning up the tips, I prefer not to have mine look like a squirrel has been chewing on them. So when I’m tuning they get cleaned up.

Topsheet/side edge needs to be cleaned up for carrying. Splits and gouges tear up gloves and hands. I carried my skis to the car once and when I got there noticed blood dripping down my hand. I asked a guy nearby to get the keys out of my pocket otherwise I’d be a walking crime scene. All because of a little piece of top sheet chip. That stuff is sharp.

The op’s are so bad you basically can’t clean them up much because of the wrap around edge. But lots of skis have no edge there.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
erhaps some of the leg separation paragons could post pics of their non worn tips on skis which have done similar mileage.

I took this as a challenge, of course. Skier: Been at it since leather boots, so definitely was told to keep my legs closer together at some point. Might be a level 7 on a good day. Certainly no paragon of technique.
K2 AMP Rictors 82 xTi, 220 days:
tmp-cam-349957062.jpg

Nordica Hell and Backs, 162 days, only paint, no protection and that paint is pristine at the top
20190817134220_1566072376487_1566073250117.jpg

20190817134301_1566074148511.jpg

Notice on neither ski is this scraping going up and over the top. The OP's have pretty uniform damage completely around the tips of the skis, not just on the sides.

Attachments

• tmp-cam--1803444914.jpg
    tmp-cam--1803444914.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 3
  • tmp-cam--583465079.jpg
    tmp-cam--583465079.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 1
  • tmp-cam--1538771771.jpg
    tmp-cam--1538771771.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Starting from the right - ski tip (base) , ski tip (base), binding (front piece), Ski boot.
The skis are bending a lot.
The black piece in the middle of the yellow is the water dam at the toe area of the boot.
That's the boot. Black eye shaped graphic is on the top of the toes, toes facing you.

Thanks, guys. Yes, of course it's a ski boot and a binding; I should have known. But the binding part looked like a heel piece to me, which made no sense. The image as a whole just didn't compute since I didn't realize the skis were THAT bent.

They are Reallllly Bent.

Last edited:

RiderRay

Getting off the lift
Skier
I know, oh I know, I am going to get a ration of crap for saying this, but why would anyone force their feet apart? I started skiing in 1965 and was mentored by a guy by the name of Frank Covino, a close friend and fellow ski instructor of Stein Eriksen. It is the most unnatural feeling to me to open my stance. All of my balance seems to disappear.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
... why would anyone force their feet apart?...

Because it allows you to use the skis and edges the way they are designed and have more turn control and better balance? Why else would every instructor and pro not ski ankle-locked?

I suspect you feel like your balance disappears because it does - it's not locked into your muscle memory so anything different would probably feel unblaanced. But if you ski like that for a little while, you'd probably feel very balanced again pretty quickly.

Sponsor