• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I'm having trouble understanding how the tip of the OP's ski would wear like that while skiing. How do you cause that kind of wear without also wiping out? It seems to be too far forward to be done in the act of normal skiing. I think the damage happens when you are not actually skiing. Some ideas:

1) Damage from the storage method - sliding ski into some tube? Spearing them into the snow bank to store them upright during lunch?
2) Damage during transport to/from the mountain
3) Damage from something done while tuning
4) Damage from compulsive destructive behavior while you are bored. Like repeatedly ramming your ski tips into a metal pole, trail marker, or other inanimate object while in line for the lift/waiting on someone. Or whacking your ski tips with your ski poles. I see a lot of people doing the latter, and I used to do this myself.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Perhaps Bob likes to line up the graphics on his White Dots. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Well not on that pair but I do have another more recent pair where it is important you line up the graphics ( per the designer who I know).

More seriously having a L + R ski enables you to ensure that your inside edges are the sharpest and when you eventual trash an edge or just wear it thin you'll have another to switch to that are like a new pair of skis. That's been my experience anyway outside edge shots being relatively rare.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
... having a L + R ski enables you to ensure that your inside edges are the sharpest and when you eventual trash an edge or just wear it thin you'll have another to switch to that are like a new pair of skis. That's been my experience anyway outside edge shots being relatively rare.

Thanks! So do you ski a set of edges until dull, then switch to the other ones, then get all four sharpened? Or do you ski one set of inside edges until they are no longer usable/sharpenable, then switch to the other set?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm having trouble understanding how the tip of the OP's ski would wear like that while skiing. How do you cause that kind of wear without also wiping out? It seems to be too far forward to be done in the act of normal skiing. I think the damage happens when you are not actually skiing. Some ideas:

1) Damage from the storage method - sliding ski into some tube? Spearing them into the snow bank to store them upright during lunch?
2) Damage during transport to/from the mountain
3) Damage from something done while tuning
4) Damage from compulsive destructive behavior while you are bored. Like repeatedly ramming your ski tips into a metal pole, trail marker, or other inanimate object while in line for the lift/waiting on someone. Or whacking your ski tips with your ski poles. I see a lot of people doing the latter, and I used to do this myself.

The “tooling” marks on the ski tip I way too fine to be accounted for by any of the actions you listed. Perhaps with the exception of #3. The OP may be attempting to create a low rise tip with a panzer file while tuning.

I can list the tools that generally produce marks like those on the ski tip. Grinder, sander and scraper. Looks to me the OP went at his skis tip with very sharp metal scrapers. I know for a fact he carries four very long and very sharp scrapers whenever he brings his skis out on the slope.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I still ski a very narrow stance and have not chewed up my skis like this. Ski tips that get chewed up via banging together because of a narrow stance generally have hanging shavings on them, these look more like wear during transport in a ski box as they slide backwards and forwards during braking and acceleration.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The longitudinal grove, especially evident on the right hand side, looks lot more like the skip and chatter marks produced by a lateral motion of a scraper.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
That's the original fatbob, not Dirty Fat Bob from New Mexico...

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It doesn't look like it's from skiing to me. It extends all the way around the tips. Yes there's an odd mark or two which might be from a tight stance, but they look like they were used to dig a stuck car out of the snow, or dragged against an abrasive surface like the inside of a roof box or laid base side up on the ground during tuning. If they weren't that far forward, I'd think panzar file being used for sidewall removal. The fact that the edges are showing the wear with almost none of it on the top sheet is interesting. Clumsy use of a sidewall cutter?

I've thought of another. Do you carry your skis with the tips forward? And do you put the tips down on the sidwalk before you lift them onto your shoulder?

Last edited:

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_1808.jpeg

TS
Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
Impressive!
Lazy inside foot perhaps with your very narrow stance. Start concentrating on the inside foot instead of the outside.

Thanks James.

I suspect you have nailed it. I had a play today and found that I tend to concentrate on loading the outside ski and letting the inside ski come along for the ride. Result: the tips bang together at times. With some concentration, I could consistently steer the inside ski avoid the tip banging. That said, I was much more successful on the groomers versus the bumps / side-piste. More work needed! :)

Kästle has offered to send me some tip protectors. Great customer service!

PS: in case anybody is wondering, it is winter where I am, ie Australia.

TS
Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
It doesn't look like it's from skiing to me. It extends all the way around the tips. Yes there's an odd mark or two which might be from a tight stance, but they look like they were used to dig a stuck car out of the snow, or dragged against an abrasive surface like the inside of a roof box or laid base side up on the ground during tuning. If they weren't that far forward, I'd think panzar file being used for sidewall removal. The fact that the edges are showing the wear with almost none of it on the top sheet is interesting. Clumsy use of a sidewall cutter?

I've thought of another. Do you carry your skis with the tips forward? And do you put the tips down on the sidwalk before you lift them onto your shoulder?

Nope to all of the above.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Banging your skis together to knock the snow off them when riding the lift will do that..

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks James.

I suspect you have nailed it. I had a play today and found that I tend to concentrate on loading the outside ski and letting the inside ski come along for the ride. Result: the tips bang together at times. With some concentration, I could consistently steer the inside ski avoid the tip banging. That said, I was much more successful on the groomers versus the bumps / side-piste. More work needed! :)

Kästle has offered to send me some tip protectors. Great customer service!

PS: in case anybody is wondering, it is winter where I am, ie Australia.

Well 'cuse me. I post lazy foot a whole page back (see post #4). And I get no thanks. What's this @James got that I don't? You don't like Aussies or something? :D

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks! So do you ski a set of edges until dull, then switch to the other ones, then get all four sharpened? Or do you ski one set of inside edges until they are no longer usable/sharpenable, then switch to the other set?

When I was paying for $60-$70 a pop for tuning (and had skis with a distinctively different top sheet so I knew one from other) I'd ski one set of edges for multiple days. It's the big toe edges of the outside ski that take most of the hits. Then I'd swap the skis over for the fresher edges. Not as good as a freshly tuned edge since the little toe edge of the inside ski still takes some action but noticeably better.

Now I sharpen edges/wax at home and the last skis were identical left/right. So they go randomly left/right and get serviced more frequently.

TS
Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
Well 'cuse me. I post lazy foot a whole page back (see post #4). And I get no thanks. What's this @James got that I don't? You don't like Aussies or something? :D

Sorry Dude! :doh: I linked back to the thread via the Alert function and, for reasons unknown to me, James’ response came up as the first. Did not see yours at the time. So, thanks to you too @geepers

BTW: none of the non-skiing explanations gel with what I have done or observed.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
So do some work on the groomers....place your ski poles behind your knees. Grab the poles with both hands from the front of your knees. Ski a few runs. Work to removing the poles, but keeping the hands. You need to get the feeling of the wider stance using a good guide. Your fisted hands are the best.

I did see a guy once skiing with a bungee cord wrapped around his legs, just above the boot. Had to keep the bungee tight, so feet apart. But not a good idea for a lot of people.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was moving out on Ripcord at Sugarbush and must have got a case of lazy foot and crossed my skis in the midst being in the air between fall line turns but got them straightened out before coming down to the snow. Avoided catastrophe and got a few hoots from the chairlift.

Sponsor

Staff online