• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Ah, I usually blame traffic - as in "No backups and I had some good pulls" :D
I drafted some trucks for some time..they did a good 70mph clip for 30 or 40 miles..that probably helped.. Surprisingly, I got the surly US border guy this time..usually they're pretty good. And on the flip side, the Canadian guy was fun time..usually they're miserable pricks.. Bizarro trip all around.. AND Cleveland wasn't that bad. Who knew?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Just did a five hour road trip and got 29.6mpg with the 3.6 Subaru Outback. I'm surprised quite frankly...

Haven't generally got mileage like that historically. Usually no better than 26mpg. Maybe weather conditions or it's finally breaking in after 70k miles.. :huh::D

Yeah, I just barely get to 26 even driving to Summit County and back. But you mentioned drafting at 70mph ... on road trips, I typically drive faster than that (and don't draft - never considered it. I prefer being nowhere near trucks - in fact, that sounds kinda dangerous).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Lol, on the 401 he's much safer behind the truck doing 70mph than he would be if going faster, even without the OPP having their say.

Take DC-Beltway levels of aggression, add SoCal disregard for weather conditions, add Atlanta-level congestion and put it all on black ice with gusty crosswinds. Fun. Especially when the freezing rain shows up.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Lol, on the 401 he's much safer behind the truck doing 70mph than he would be if going faster, even without the OPP having their say.

Take DC-Beltway levels of aggression, add SoCal disregard for weather conditions, add Atlanta-level congestion and put it all on black ice with gusty crosswinds. Fun. Especially when the freezing rain shows up.

Ugh. Got it. I was picturing my typical road trip across Wyoming ...

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah, not so much "drafting" like NASCAR..just getting in behind and seeing a bit of aero help. And yeah, the good part about following trucks (provided there are none behind you..) is you'll stop a lot faster than they will..so they'll just plow through a wreck and clear the way while you're good to go! :D

To be honest, as we all know I'm sure, safe driving is an art..after riding a motorcycle for 25 years, I do things my way. I let the cop lecture for a while and just look at him with glazed eyes until he realizes that I'm a GM driver (motorcycle) then he stops the sermon and just gives me the ticket. I'm usually the guy you'll see driving away from every other vehicle on the road. And I look up at the nose to tail freight train blocking both lanes and just shake my head. I had no problem doing 180kmh to get out of bad spots on the bike. YMMV..

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
20180831_161140.jpg
Just upgraded my ride and on our first road trip. Phenomenal gas mileage, super comfy ride, satellite, navigation. I'm in heaven. Of course i need those new vanity plates cause i don't wan't to have to drive around without a shirt lol.

20180831_161131.jpg
20180831_161108.jpg
20180831_161119.jpg

20180831_161307.jpg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 52384 Just upgraded my ride and on our first road trip. Phenomenal gas mileage, super comfy ride, satellite, navigation. I'm in heaven. Of course i need those new vanity plates cause i don't wan't to have to drive around without a shirt lol.

sure! now only when you want to drive topless!ogwink

anyhow, nice car! I'l have to show my cubie .. he had this exact same car pegged at a dealership 2 mo back. It was being shipped to the dealer, offered to put money down on it but the sales guy said "no, it's yours!"

3 weeks later sales guy calls and notes another customer up an bought it.

So, if you wish to trade .... I know a taker.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
sure! now only when you want to drive topless!ogwink

anyhow, nice car! I'l have to show my cubie .. he had this exact same car pegged at a dealership 2 mo back. It was being shipped to the dealer, offered to put money down on it but the sales guy said "no, it's yours!"

3 weeks later sales guy calls and notes another customer up an bought it.

So, if you wish to trade .... I know a taker.

Ha thanks. Sucks about your friend, low blow by dealer. I've been after this car for a long time and yesterday all the stars aligned. Sales guy saved it for me, it had 145 miles on it, is a 2018 and yesterday was the last day of the month. The 2019s are on the lot and they wanted the pumpkin mobile gone :)

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, as someone once said to me, money talks and bullshit walks! :D

He did fine other than color. dealership gave him pretty decent discounts on a second choice. floor manager apparently apologized. Cubie is pretty young, rest of us gave him crap for not putting cash down and paperwork in writing.

Sponsor