• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
So, the clear bra has not been installed yet and I've been considering whether I really want it since it is easy enough to just not have them put it on. I'd be curious to know why it appears you don't like them?

The spots I'm getting are on top of the hood in the range of 3" back to half way. So if you can go all the way back on the hood I would.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Congrats! :beercheer:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
So, the clear bra has not been installed yet and I've been considering whether I really want it since it is easy enough to just not have them put it on. I'd be curious to know why it appears you don't like them?
I have just seen too many cars with damage from the bra rubbing the paint.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure where all these stories about damage from the clear bra doing damage comes from _- poor installation perhaps? First thing I have done with our last 5 vehicles. And my installer does lots of ferraris, lambos, Maserati, Porsche etc
In my experience they have made a huge difference in reducing stone chips on the hood and front panel.

Just do it! Especially in snow country!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

the clear bra is the plastic (polyeruthane) film applied to the surface - yes? it doesn't slide about to my understanding.

Seen some older ones on white cars show yellowing, however other than that never thought it a bad idea.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

the clear bra is the plastic (polyeruthane) film applied to the surface - yes? it doesn't slide about to my understanding.

worst thing I've seen is some old ones on white cars that show some yellowing, but these are pretty old and this my not be a big factor today.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Has anyone done thicker, rubbery grip on top of bra film? Thinking of some grippy rubber zones in front of the A pillar, right around where people usually just tend to lean stuff against the vehicle instead of setting it on the ground.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

worst thing I've seen is some old ones on white cars that show some yellowing, but these are pretty old and this my not be a big factor today.

He might be referring to the solid plastic chip guards// deflectors?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I went through TrueCar for my purchase also, I was very impressed how easy it was and how aggressive some dealers are..and some not.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
$_35.JPG
When I hear car bra, I think of something like this. If you mean a painted on veneer, then ignore my comment.ogsmile

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
$_35.JPG
When I hear car bra, I think of something like this. If you mean a painted on veneer, then ignore my comment.ogsmile

It's not exactly painted on, more like the old ski saver top tape. One valid concern is that it can leave differential paint aging - the paint under it sees different net UV than the paint next to it.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
$_35.JPG

Yes, by clear bra I mean the films posted above, not the old style non-clear car bras. Not only do I agree that it would do far more damage to the vehicle, it's ugly.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I’ve had her a month now and driven about 1200 miles. I LOVE her. She is so freaking fun to drive! Really looking forward to some summer mountain open-road driving. I still need to do some electronics setup (homelink etc) and get roof rails, clear bra, and hitch installed.

BC9E3BC8-9B35-4F56-BFB0-89E731136CA9.jpeg

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Does *she* have a name?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hadn't even thought of it. What do you mean?

Driving lights or spots. For example something that gives a better-than-low-beams pattern in fog or driving snow, without giving you that Star Trek warp drive feeling.

Not saying you need them, it was merely my pre-coffee association chain working overtime.

You spoke of getting rails done, and it's dirt common to use the rail anchor as mounting point for LED support brackets. The hard part to LED bars, of course, is doing the electrical switch panel in the cabin and the breakout under the hood - but having those would enable biggie driving lights mounted low down.

Sponsor

Staff online