• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hawk45

Beginner Clydesdale
Skier
Just went through my box of old gloves and most don't fit or are junk. I tend to perspire and run hot and saw a few people recommend the Free The Powder gloves. Anyone have good/bad feedback on these?
Thanks,
John

James

Out There
Instructor
Very good. They're pretty warm though. Not sure what to do about your hands. Don't get tight fitting gloves.

Have you consideted a removable liner glove? That you could wash.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I purchased the Free the Powder RX gloves for last season. I tried them on when they arrived and they were pretty thick/warm. I returned them and got the Hestra Heli lobster gloves. I have been happy with those. They work for me in spring conditions (mid 40s) down to low teens. Colder than that and I put chemical packs in the gloves.

I have seen feedback on this site that the FTP gloves are good if you tend to have cold hands. I don't. Also I don't find myself in sub zero (F) temperatures often when skiing. And the people I ski with won't stay out in that kind of cold anyway. If you can, I suggest trying the Hestra heli's on in a store. If they seem thin to you, FTP would probably work.

TS
Hawk45

Hawk45

Beginner Clydesdale
Skier
I believe the FTP gloves have removable liners... may get a pair of gloves and mittens as I don't have a good pair of either. I've always been a glove guy but have always wanted to try some mittens. My thought was I could pull the stock warm liners and go with some thinner liners for warmer days or if I get over exerted.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've always been a glove guy but have always wanted to try some mittens. My thought was I could pull the stock warm liners and go with some thinner liners for warmer days or if I get over exerted.

I have no input on the FTP mittens, but I will throw 2 cents at the "hand always sweat" issue. My husband just picked up a pair of shell mittens from OR that he has been very happy with. Completely waterproof, and you can layer them however you want...thin liner, thicker liner, wool mitt...whatever suits the day.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/mens/mens-gloves/shuksan-mitts/p/2448770001008

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've was an early adopter of FTP gloves, and mittens, and I just bought a new pair with the removable liners. For the older style glove ( non removable liner ) they were warm when new--too warm in fact on a lot of days ( my hands run hot too, but when they're cold, it's not fun either ). As the integrated liners have packed out they are less warm, and that's a good thing as they are more usable over a wider range of temps--for me. The new ones with the removable liners are nice and toasty and with the replaceable liners I can keep them that way if they pack out by buying new liners. I also like the option of using them without liners or with a thinner liner. The mittens are really warm on super cold days. They have a bunch of new models, but the RX/SX gloves and mittens are breathable without being 100% water proof. If you read their web site, their philosophy is that ( and I'm paraphrasing here, it's been a while since I've read it): unlike jackets, it's really hard to make water proof gloves that don't overwhelm the breathable barrier (think gortex), and then you wind up with cold wet hands. Making a glove with a breathable backside allows the glove to dry out as the day goes by. Something like that. Poke around on their website and see if you can find where they talk about their design philosophy. I own four pairs between the various models, and right now they are $59. The gloves compete with Hestra on quality, and FTP stands behind their gloves; anything wrong, givem a shout and they will replace them.

I have no affiliation with FTP, just a happy customer.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Correct If you perspire a lot, your best bet is to use thin wicking liner gloves which will wick and distribute the sweat so it has more surface area to evaporate out. Then additionally if you're super sweaty, you bring extra pairs and swap out liners as they get soaked.

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Research-Mens-Sensor-Gloves/dp/B00L2TCHEU
I use these liner gloves; do keep in mind they wear quite quickly and it gets expensive(so try to get a few pairs when on sale and try to be gentle).

If you get the FTP with removable liners, then you can substitute basically your thin liner and just their leather shell if your hands don't get cold. (You are basically using them like gardening workgloves/kincos).

I have 3 pairs of FTP gloves. I would say 1 knock is their wrist leashes aren't hestra handcuff quality.
However, you can always buy hestra handcuffs by themselves and use/reuse them on any glove.

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Have 2 pairs of FTP. Mittens w/o removable liners for cold cold days. Gloves with removable for everything else.

Great gloves. Great service.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
If you tend to run hot, check out their spring gloves. My buddy who is similar loves them.

TS
Hawk45

Hawk45

Beginner Clydesdale
Skier
Thanks again everyone for your input. I grabbed a pair of their RX gloves and mittens while they were on sale. I'll get some of those Burton liners also for some versatility.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
One more singing the praises of FTP gloves. Very warm and my hands sweat even on the coldest days but they don't get soaked with sweat. No need for glove liners. They do fit kinda small though but I like tight gloves.

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
One important note about FTP gloves: you MUST MUST MUST treat them with a leather waterproofing cream or lotion when you first get them and then periodically thereafter when the gloves start to wet out during the season (I wholeheartedly recommend FTP’s own Leather Treatment Water-Proofer, which you can see HERE). Having no waterproof/breathable membrane means that only the DWR treatment that you add will keep external water out of the gloves, but on the upside it means that your sweat is very unlikely to be kept in the gloves and liner making your skin clammy and cold due to heat loss.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FTP gloves and mittens are great. I've had 3 pairs, and they've each been really good, but I've wound up selling all of them.

The quality is excellent and they're fantastic value for what FTP charges, but for me, they're not quite as good as Hestra. FTP get's you 80%+ of Hestra performance, comfort and fit for half the price. I ultimately decided that the last 20% was worth the extra money for me and went back to Hestra.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Can’t recommend my FTP gloves for cold hands highly enough. They are are warm, and mine don’t have removable liners. On warmer days I just wear the Dakine Storm liner glove on its own.

If you do get FTP, save money on their seconds.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've got three pairs of FTP's now, the original short cuffs, just got some spring gloves that I've been using as dailies lately, and a coworker bought a pair of the newer SX's with removable liners, but got them too big, so I've got them. They were initially stiff, but never cold. I treated the spring gloves a few weeks ago, and have used them each day since, and they've been great.

TS
Hawk45

Hawk45

Beginner Clydesdale
Skier
Glad to see so many good responses and reviews. I did add some of their protectant/cream when I placed my order.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Went online and got a pair of their spring gloves yesterday, they still had the cyber Monday deals going on. great price and I should have them in my hands by wed.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One important note about FTP gloves: you MUST MUST MUST treat them with a leather waterproofing cream or lotion when you first get them and then periodically thereafter when the gloves start to wet out during the season (I wholeheartedly recommend FTP’s own Leather Treatment Water-Proofer, which you can see HERE). Having no waterproof/breathable membrane means that only the DWR treatment that you add will keep external water out of the gloves, but on the upside it means that your sweat is very unlikely to be kept in the gloves and liner making your skin clammy and cold due to heat loss.

When I first started, I emailed asked the owners the same question a couple years back, and they said they pretreat the leather so it doesn't need to be immediately to be treated. The treatment is also mainly just wax and oils, it's not a true "waterproofing" sealant. So long as leather is supple, it's naturally waterproof (e.g. a cow sheep goat or human doesn't bloat in the rain and also comes same waterproof). If it's already absorbed as much lotion as it can hold, adding more coats doesn't make it more waterproof, you just get beeswax and lotion that evaporates or wipes off onto whatever you touch.
So I don't think the triple must is necessary from the answer I got back from Shannon.

It's same as a brand new pair of skis, you don't need to immeidately need to do a basegrind edge angles and wax.

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
When I first started, I emailed asked the owners the same question a couple years back, and they said they pretreat the leather so it doesn't need to be immediately to be treated. The treatment is also mainly just wax and oils, it's not a true "waterproofing" sealant. So long as leather is supple, it's naturally waterproof (e.g. a cow sheep goat or human doesn't bloat in the rain and also comes same waterproof). If it's already absorbed as much lotion as it can hold, adding more coats doesn't make it more waterproof, you just get beeswax and lotion that evaporates or wipes off onto whatever you touch.
So I don't think the triple must is necessary from the answer I got back from Shannon.

It's same as a brand new pair of skis, you don't need to immeidately need to do a basegrind edge angles and wax.

Hmm. Their website implies that the treatment is quite necessary. Perhaps it’s not as clear as I thought.

Sponsor