• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I used a FTP glove for a season and moved to the below the cuff mitt midway through last season and have 10 days this season and am happy with them.
I don’t think I would ever buy anything but FTP. Being a local company (based in Park City) helps as welll

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
I used a FTP glove for a season and moved to the below the cuff mitt midway through last season and have 10 days this season and am happy with them.
I don’t think I would ever buy anything but FTP. Being a local company (based in Park City) helps as welll
Have you used the waterproofing cream when you bought the gloves? Or have you used them as is out of the box? How has the leather held up water resistance wise?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like my FTP gloves. However they are not warm enough for me, with my diabetes and poor circulation, so I can’t even imagine them being “too warm.”

I use Outdoor Research Capstone heated gloves, but most people do not want to pay that much for gloves.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you used the waterproofing cream when you bought the gloves? Or have you used them as is out of the box? How has the leather held up water resistance wise?
I use sno seal. Warm the glove-mitt slightly, apply the sno seal, and warm again. The mitts are black while the gloves are black-tan. The gloves look used but the leather is in good shape.

Last edited:
Reactions: BC.

BaconTowel

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks again everyone for your input. I grabbed a pair of their RX gloves and mittens while they were on sale. I'll get some of those Burton liners also for some versatility.

Put any days in them yet? Curious on your opinion!

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a new pair of FTP lobster claw mittens for Christmas, and used them yesterday. They were warm -- although the large part of the mitten isn't as big as it is on the Hestras, making it tougher to put all four fingers inside, which I do on cold days on the lift ... I survived, though. But they already have a (small) slice on them. I hiked a few times yesterday and I guess my ski edge cut the leather? That has never happened to me before; is this just user error, or should they hold up better?

55139070-6BA1-40AF-8EB9-5E9594CAC7D8.jpeg

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I used my new FTP RX3 lobster claws yesterday. Fantastic. Smaller than the Hestra for the 3 fingers section but all good.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well I have my first negative to say about FTP gloves....

I think I posted this somewhere else in a glove thread, but I wanted to replace a lost pair of my favorite gloves - the older FTPs with the non-removable liner (I had two pair, I'm down to 1). Well they don't make them anymore, so I went with the removable liner version.

And I have to say, I don't like it. I somewhat frequently remove my gloves (to take pictures, use lip balm, etc.) and the removable liner makes them nearly impossible to get back on easily, especially if your hand it damp at all... there is nothing keeping the liner from bunching up inside the glove. I swapped them out with my other pair of older FTPs mid-day, and I don't know if I'll use them again. Pulling the liner and putting it on first works, but that's a pain too. I really wish I could have replaced my lost gloves.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier

I think I posted this somewhere else in a glove thread, but I wanted to replace a lost pair of my favorite gloves - the older FTPs with the non-removable liner (I had two pair, I'm down to 1). Well they don't make them anymore, so I went with the removable liner version.

And I have to say, I don't like it. I somewhat frequently remove my gloves (to take pictures, use lip balm, etc.) and the removable liner makes them nearly impossible to get back on easily, especially if your hand it damp at all... there is nothing keeping the liner from bunching up inside the glove. I swapped them out with my other pair of older FTPs mid-day, and I don't know if I'll use them again. Pulling the liner and putting it on first works, but that's a pain too. I really wish I could have replaced my lost gloves.

I have 2 pair - the RX glove and the RX3 fingers. Both with removabl liner, I am a fan of removable liners. But I noticed the same thing with my new ones that you did. Took a little extra work to get back in but not too much.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have 2 pair - the RX glove and the RX3 fingers. Both with removabl liner, I am a fan of removable liners. But I noticed the same thing with my new ones that you did. Took a little extra work to get back in but not too much.

Well with one glove on, I could not get my hand back in without pulling the liner and putting that on first. I couldn't get a grip on both the the glove and liner with my gloved hand well enough to pull it onto the ungloved hand. The liner just scrunched up.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
I got a new pair of FTP lobster claw mittens for Christmas, and used them yesterday. They were warm -- although the large part of the mitten isn't as big as it is on the Hestras, making it tougher to put all four fingers inside, which I do on cold days on the lift ... I survived, though. But they already have a (small) slice on them. I hiked a few times yesterday and I guess my ski edge cut the leather? That has never happened to me before; is this just user error, or should they hold up better?

View attachment 61779
I would get in touch with the guys at FTP. I suspect they will do what they can to treat you right.

I have had a pair of mitts I got on sale that were seconds. One area on both gloves at the bottom of the thumb has some stitching that is headed to breaking. The upper palm does have a few nicks and scuffs, but nothing has worn out. It is pretty hardy leather, especially when you keep it treated.

I can’t speak to issues with the liner. Mine are too old for that.

Great gloves given the price.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

What size? I have a pair of mediums that I don't use...

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 61779

I'd contact FTP and send them that picture. Since it was a ski edge cut, who knows? But, FTP people are back country skiers and they designed their gloves to work for skiers, both lift served and BC. They reinforce certain areas prone to wear for skiers, so they may be interested in seeing that their mittens need an extra reinforcement in that area. FTP is really super responsive and they care very much about customer sat, so, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd contact FTP and send them that picture. Since it was a ski edge cut, who knows? But, FTP people are back country skiers and they designed their gloves to work for skiers, both lift served and BC. They reinforce certain areas prone to wear for skiers, so they may be interested in seeing that their mittens need an extra reinforcement in that area. FTP is really super responsive and they care very much about customer sat, so, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

^^^^This. I have found them to have incredible customer service.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If FTP can’t help you, I have a pair in large. Make me an offer

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

View attachment 61779

I don't know what kind of leather FTP uses but Hestra uses goat leather because it is more durable than cow leather. This could be one of the reasons for Hestra's higher price.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know what kind of leather FTP uses but Hestra uses goat leather because it is more durable than cow leather. This could be one of the reasons for Hestra's higher price.

Actually that depends upon the breed of goat, goats adapted to different climates have different thickness and durability. Also, the skin from the back of the animal is usually thicker and tougher than the underbelly. I’ve have to deal with this with drums heads on my djembes. The same issues come up with cow hides.

Overall cow skin is thicker than goat.

A glove manufacturer like Hestra is probably picky about the sourcing of the hides they use. For all I know FTP is too.

Sponsor