• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Famous celebrity skiers

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
I saw Susan St. James and Randy Quaid at Telluride in the '80s and '90s. Tim Daly used to ski, but had a pretty bad accident recently at Sundance.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I had the pleasure of skiing with Jon Anderson of Yes & his wife Jane for a week in the mid 90's...

I guess Rick Wakeman skis too...
image.jpeg

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've seen former Utah Jazz and NBA all-star Andrei Kirilenko skiing at Solitude several times, all while he was on the active roster during the regular season. I assume there was no "Jim Lonborg" clause in his contract prohibiting him from participation. Have also seen former NBA center Shawn Bradley (7' 6") skiing at Solitude numerous times, all after he had finally retired from the league. In addition, I've seen Kenny Loggins skiing a handful of times at what was then called Park West.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've seen former Utah Jazz and NBA all-star Andrei Kirilenko skiing at Solitude several times, all while he was on the active roster during the regular season. I assume there was no "Jim Lonborg" clause in his contract prohibiting him from participation. Have also seen former NBA center Shawn Bradley (7' 6") skiing at Solitude numerous times, all after he had finally retired from the league. In addition, I've seen Kenny Loggins skiing a handful of times at what was then called Park West.
I think it was Harold Katz, the former owner of the 76'ers that said as they drafted Shawn..."You can't teach tall".

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Tim Daly used to ski, but had a pretty bad accident recently at Sundance.
They wrote his injury into the script. He got shot, and had a cover story that it was a car accident. Layers of deception. ... no wonder no one trusts television anymore.

Oh wait, it's fiction, isn't it?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I wonder if he ever stood there waiting to drop into a hairy chute and thought to himself "Now I gotta cut loose . . . "

Kenny Loggins should be thinking "Ride into the Danger Zone" at the top of that hairy chute.

Hooks outer front edge and goes over the handlebars in to a spectacular tomahawk tumble for about 500 feet. Then gets up and says.. :I'm allllll right... don't nobody worry bout me... as he skis off??

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I took this pic at a ski event in Vail in 2010. The reason I recognized this couple was at the time my wife enjoyed watching "THE BACHELOR".

View attachment 26185
Ryan and Trista Sutter

I was watching American Ninja Warrior yesterday and Ryan Sutter was competing. He didn't finish the course but did pretty well.
Sutter.jpg

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
One of the Rossignol guys I worked with used to give skis to this guy
P197701S.jpg

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
The first time I went to Park City, I was in one of the ski shops one evening and saw a quite tall black guy getting some final adjustments on his boots. I didn’t pay much attention to who it was, but after a while I realised that the shop guy would not stop talking. He just kept going on and on about late-80’s and early-90’s NBA games and players, while the customer just sat fairly quietly.

As the customer made his way toward the door with all of his gear, I couldn’t figure out why my mother had taken out her phone to take a picture. But then I realised it was Michael Jordan.

Sorry, I didn’t get a good look at his boots and skis.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rode the Snowbird tram with Jean-Claude Killy. Sometime back in the mid-80's. He was there to film a commercial for k2. Later in the day, the patrol came zooming down and halted traffic and asked us to move to the side of the run. Moments later Killy and a camera crew came past. Some of the most skilled skiing I've ever witnessed. The camera operator that is, skiing backwards at a pretty good clip.

The only other "celebrity" sighting ... at Heavenly (again, back in the 80's), shuffling my way to through the lift line, when a ski patrolman and another guy skied up to the front of the line and jumped in front of us. At the same time I was sliding forward and was unable to stop and slid over the back of the other guy's skiis. He turned and gave me the stink eye while I mumbled "sorry..." After boarding the lift, the other random single I was paired with said "did you know that was John Denver in front of us?"
Hmm... I let loose with a "Hey, wait in line like everyone else!!" haha.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've met Candice Bergen and her husband Louis Malle at SV, when an old friend was finished giving them a private lesson. Louis was grumpy, as he had just fallen off the chair in the loading zone!

With same friend's young daughter in line at Atkinsons Market in Ketchum, we were behind Clint Eastwood. After enough whispering from the kid, he turned around with a big smile and said "yes I am, would you like me to sign something?".

Finally, on the way out of town, stopped to grab a coffee in Hailey and there were Scott Glenn and Bruce Willis sorta hiding in the corner.

That place is full of celebs, though I've long since quit caring or looking.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Rode elevator with Letterman at our hotel in Teton Village couple years ago, was a powder day so didn’t stick around to see if he could ski.

Sat next to Chevy Chase après @ Snowmass that same year.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Reactions: eok

James

Out There
Instructor
IMG_6329.JPG

Nice photo of Cher. Later than one below.
My favorite is at Aspen Highlands mid lodge. Probably very early 70's. Last time we were there I got the manager to take us downstairs to see it as it was closed. But, the photo was removed from the wall. Used to be in the bathroom before the removations.

IMG_1809.JPG

Flush of youth, before the huge celebrity status, having fun. Just outside where tbe mid lodge is. Terrible image through the glass with reflection. Never seen it online.

Jacques Pepin was an instructor at Hunter in the 60s.
Come on! Really? Damn, I know someone who just went to a talk /book signing. Would have had them ask him.
Hah I've looked at a pair of those Metallica skis for a few years in a shop. Retail was like $900. Armada invictus 87 or 9. You could get them for half that, they still have them. Nice looking ski.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online