• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Family ski car

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have added a higher level of Cherokee to my search, now looking at the Limited model as well. BTW do any of our PA or NJ Members have any feedback on Reedmans in Langhorne PA? Again thanks for any help.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There's obviously only one answer....

71OYFrsZWLL._AC_SL1110_.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Extended warranties have about a 600% markup so there is a lot of room to negotiate if the Dealer is not super greedy.
Sorry, you are wrong, the retail is not 6x the cost. Most Extended Service Contracts are "Keystoned" which means the retail his double the cost. My experience is, whenever you can, stick with the manufacturers extended ESC because they at least have vested interest in keeping you happy. Other warrantees are from independent insurance companies who's priority is not to pay a claim.

Basicly by getting one of these plans, you are betting something will go wrong with the vehicle, over the cost of the contract, the company is betting something will not go wrong.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Sorry, you are wrong, the retail is not 6x the cost. Most Extended Service Contracts are "Keystoned" which means the retail his double the cost. My experience is, whenever you can, stick with the manufacturers extended ESC because they at least have vested interest in keeping you happy. Other warrantees are from independent insurance companies who's priority is not to pay a claim.

Basicly by getting one of these plans, you are betting something will go wrong with the vehicle, over the cost of the contract, the company is betting something will not go wrong.

I was talking about the non-mfr's warranties (independents). There is a reason they keep stalking new car buyers after the fact with calls and documents that they make look really "official" and that are required.

Uncle-A

Skier
I have added a higher level of Cherokee to my search, now looking at the Limited model as well. BTW do any of our PA or NJ Members have any feedback on Reedmans in Langhorne PA? Again thanks for any help.
Well the search is over, I bit the bullet and finally made a selection. Jeep Cherokee Limited 4 X 4 and a thanks to @Ron for the information and the suggestion to get the extended warranty. Also a thanks to all the other people that shared their knowledge of the car buying process. Maybe I will post a photo soon.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Uncle-A

Skier
Buying an extended warranty is like betting against the house; the odds are pretty good that you will spend more money for the warranty than you will get back, unless you are buying a Jeep Cherokee Limited or some other Chrysler. :duck:
This is my first Jeep, but I have driven Chrysler products most of my adult life. Only one of them have me cause to question the purchase. The two foreign cars that I did own gave me more trouble than the worst Chrysler I owned. The few GM vehicles that my family has owned have been fair to good results. Others may have had a poor experience with Chrysler but I have not. Others may have had better experience with foreign vehicle than I have, you can get a lemon in any manufacturers product. Just time will tell, if it does turn out poorly the extended warranty is going to have to take car of it.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Things change.

I used to be a big GM fan, having had a plethora of Pontiacs and Chevrolets from giant stationwagons to Chevy Chevettes, with no problems other than what would be expected from wear and tear and very old age. I really loved my big wagons. Then, due to feul prices and cost of repairs on my high milage antique daily driver being higher than payments on a new car, I bought my '09 Pontiac Wave - too many problems, prematurely worn axle seals, ball joints, faulty ignition coils, oxygen sensors, etc. I bought my current ride (Mazda 3 Sport) in early 2016 after spending about $2500 in two years, keeping the Wave on the road. A little early to tell, touching wood, but not a single problem in 105,000 km. By 2010, the '09 Wave had more new parts than my wive's '83 Toyota Corola. Looking back, IMHO some of the Wave's problems may have been exacerbated by the GM stealership mechanics, e.g. unable to diagnose a giant whole in the air intake hose (caused by bending it every time they checked the air filter instead of taking the time to undo it?). They wanted $250 for a new hose "module"; I bought a hose at Canadian tire for an old Ford that fit for $8.

Fords I and my immediate family have owned have been OK, but not stellar; Toyotas, Hondas, Kias and Mazdas have been good. Subarus, not so much.

I know too many people who had problem Chryslers in the last 10 years, such as lots of parts (e.g. alternators) that should have lasted longer replaced on warranty, and sold the car when the 1-year warranty expired. Trucks with air conditioning condensers dead and unable to replace because very high demand and on back-order. Still, my brother has had very good luck with his top-end 3500 Rams. There are a few Chryslers I would buy because I like that particular vehicle so much, but like I said, the extended warranty in this case is a good bet.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Most of the new cars really scare me because of the complexity. We will do what we need to do to keep the S.S. Pugski (08 Yukon) on the road, even if it is 5-8K/yr, it is cheaper than a payment of a comparable new replacement.

Uncle-A

Skier
Most of the new cars really scare me because of the complexity. We will do what we need to do to keep the S.S. Pugski (08 Yukon) on the road, even if it is 5-8K/yr, it is cheaper than a payment of a comparable new replacement.
Part of the reason I purchased the extended warranty was the high tech electronics in the vehicle. The main computer chip goes for 2K$ installed and that is just one chip. Plus I am not going to be able to do some of the technical repairs. Fortunately I do have a code reader so I can know if a mechanic is giving me a run around.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Regarding extended warranties. If the factory warranty is a 3/36 and the extended warranty is a 6/60, you are only getting 3/24 in coverage. Yes they want to sell you the warranty when you purchase the vehicle and they will base that on the warranties will go up in price. But with the factory banked warrantys you can buy them t any time you are still under the standart warranty. By waiting, you can see how the car is...if it is clear saling through that first three years..you might "self insure" the next couple of years. If you are seeing consistant nagging issues while still under warranty, you might buy it while still under the warranty.

Also, like with the car purchase, you can shop the warranty just as much as the car. You can buy the car from X dealer an buy the warranty from Y. Some Finance & Insurance departments look just to sell warranties to pad their penetration and look at just a warranty sale as found business.

These are points your salesperson will not share with you.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Also, make sure you know what's covered under the warranty. For example, ignition coils, ball joints, axle seals, etc. are not covered under a power train warranty, but many pollution control items such as catalytic converters are "covered" by law for 5 years in many locations even if you don't have a warranty. Buying a warranty from an after-market company instead of major car brand requires a lot of research, as there are a too many fly-by night companies. Read the fine print. A work acquaintance bought a used Nissan (not something I would do) with a warranty and had to fight to get them to honour the warranty, but she won.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Also, make sure you know what's covered under the warranty. For example, ignition coils, ball joints, axle seals, etc. are not covered under a power train warranty, but many pollution control items such as catalytic converters are "covered" by law for 5 years in many locations even if you don't have a warranty.
Very true. The fine print will tell you what is and just as, if not more important is NOT covered. Make no mistake, this is not to protect you as the consumer but the warranty (insurance) company.

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
Well the search is over, I bit the bullet and finally made a selection. Jeep Cherokee Limited 4 X 4
Congratulations. In an earlier post you indicated you were interested in American-made and you certainly won that game. Cars.com investigated how American-made each car was and the Cherokee is the most American-made care there is. (I don't know about the terrain but surprisingly the Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/Escalade is one of the least American-made American-made cars with only 41% of it's content sourced from US manufacturing.)

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online