• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Family ski car

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Pickup is going to be my poor man's suburban soon. :)

Don't forget to mess with the CRV drivers' heads about which oil catch can they installed and how they manage oil volatility and how they expect to clean their valvetrain - walnut shells or BG 44K.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hey everyone -- I want to thank you all very sincerely for the help and perspective and advice you've given me on this thread. What a great community! We decided to get another pickup truck. In fact we're upgrading to a full size Ram 1500. It gets way better gas mileage than my 12 year old midsize and it rides like you're floating on a cloud.

Congrats, which engine?

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Piggy-backing on this thread since the OP has picked his truck (congrats!!!)

I'm in the market for a new vehicle this winter/spring and looking seriously at the new Rav4 AWD, possibly the hybrid version. 39 MPG combined is pretty good and given my short daily commute I'll save a ton of money on gas. Anyone here drive a hybrid in the mountains and/or snow regularly? Anything I should be aware of? I've never owned a hybrid.

I'm used to carrying the skis in the car anyway so that isn't a concern of mine.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
}+{p-;AQZ!

Our Alltrack with a (large) Yakima 21 cu.ft. Skybox fits. I think you would have no problem with even a larger Outback with one of the new low profile boxes that are now offered. Aslo. we are using a tire step to access the box contents on our Yukon and it works great.

Phil, what's the roof weight limit on yer buggy?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I'm in the market for a new vehicle this winter/spring and looking seriously at the new Rav4 AWD, possibly the hybrid version. 39 MPG combined is pretty good and given my short daily commute I'll save a ton of money on gas. Anyone here drive a hybrid in the mountains and/or snow regularly? Anything I should be aware of? I've never owned a hybrid.

I'm used to carrying the skis in the car anyway so that isn't a concern of mine.

On the previous Rav4, one of the negative aspects of the hybrid version is that the rear seat no longer folds flat.

Toyota has one of the best-engineered folding seats ever, but it uses a scissors mechanism to lower the rear seat cushion while the seatback is folding down.

I suspect that the battery takes up enough space that they cannot allow the rear seat cushion to lower enough to make for a truly flat-folding system any more.

TS
fileguide

fileguide

Booting up
Skier
Congrats, which engine?

5.7 Hemi v8 with eTorque.

For what it's worth, the fuel economy has turned out to be pretty awful on this rig. Not that surprising, just a little disappointing. Other than that, really great truck. Happy.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My last 4 ski cars have been identical except for color. Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4 with a hard trifold tonneau cover to keep things dry. Plenty of room for skiers, skis and gear.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey everyone -- I want to thank you all very sincerely for the help and perspective and advice you've given me on this thread. What a great community! We decided to get another pickup truck. In fact we're upgrading to a full size Ram 1500. It gets way better gas mileage than my 12 year old midsize and it rides like you're floating on a cloud.
If you don't have a topper yet, or tonneau, consider this. The box will hold a bunch of skis and other gear plus I still have access to the lower part of the bed for hauling stuff. Full review of the bars and how to attach are HERE.
20181016_105102_resized.jpg

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
5.7 Hemi v8 with eTorque.

For what it's worth, the fuel economy has turned out to be pretty awful on this rig. Not that surprising, just a little disappointing. Other than that, really great truck. Happy.
That 5.7 hemi equipped truck has the same fuel mileage problem my old 750 Interceptor had - the magnet that keeps pulling the tach to red line in every gear.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier

That vehicle seems like a winner. One issue with mountain driving, at least at some altitude is the loss of power. Many of the small CUVs have a small engine, and going uphill in the mountains can be frustrating. A turbo engine helps with this as it loses much less power at altitude. It would seem the electric portion of the the hybrid power plant would not be affected by altitude.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I am thinking about a new family ski car and my GMC has been good to me. So I have been looking at a GMC Terrain and was wondering if anyone in the PUGSKI Community has any history with a Terrain. Thanks in advance for your input.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am thinking about a new family ski car and my GMC has been good to me. So I have been looking at a GMC Terrain and was wondering if anyone in the PUGSKI Community has any history with a Terrain. Thanks in advance for your input.
I sat in one when we were visiting our realer back in Michigan. The rearward visability was awful. Betwen the C & D pillar, that small window was very limiting.

Uncle-A

Skier
I sat in one when we were visiting our realer back in Michigan. The rearward visability was awful. Betwen the C & D pillar, that small window was very limiting.
Was it a 2019 or 2020? I am 6' 1" and trying to stay under 200 LBS did the drivers seat have much room for my long legs and rapidly growing spare tire?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Was it a 2019 or 2020? I am 6' 1" and trying to stay under 200 LBS did the drivers seat have much room for my long legs and rapidly growing spare tire?
It was the new body style

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You put so much stuff in your Yukon that you can't see out those windows anyway! Mirrors.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Crewcab F150, seats 6 if needed and with kids they can’t reach the your backrest with their feet (parents on long drives know exactly what I’m talking about).

Hard Tonneau cover gives you trunk space galore.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My company car is the Chevy version of the Terrain. It’s a 2018 Equniox LT that I use as a ski car as well.
The AWD with Michelin X-Ice tires have gotten me up and down LCC this season over 80 days without any weather related issues.
With 2 heated @KULKEA bags it is comfortable when it’s mrsjmills and myself. Adding one kid in the backseat it still works. With a second kid in back it then gets a bit cramped.
I drive a lot around the Salt Lake Valley (and to Alta) and have 85k miles on it. I am surprised-happy that it’s not a rattle box and rides like it did when new.
Other than regular service it hasn’t needed anything additionally.
I have an INNO wedge box on top that sits on factory rails that mount with 4 Torx T40 bolts. Leaving the box on the rails and hoisting it up I can remove it or put it back in 5 minutes.

Uncle-A

Skier
My company car is the Chevy version of the Terrain. It’s a 2018 Equniox LT that I use as a ski car as well.
The AWD with Michelin X-Ice tires have gotten me up and down LCC this season over 80 days without any weather related issues.
With 2 heated @KULKEA bags it is comfortable when it’s mrsjmills and myself. Adding one kid in the backseat it still works. With a second kid in back it then gets a bit cramped.
I drive a lot around the Salt Lake Valley (and to Alta) and have 85k miles on it. I am surprised-happy that it’s not a rattle box and rides like it did when new.
Other than regular service it hasn’t needed anything additionally.
I have an INNO wedge box on top that sits on factory rails that mount with 4 Torx T40 bolts. Leaving the box on the rails and hoisting it up I can remove it or put it back in 5 minutes.
Thanks, that was helpful. I don't have a ski box for the roof top, so I would like to know if I could fit my 170 CM skis between the back bucket seats and close the tail gate?

Sponsor