• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Family ski car

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
You put so much stuff in your Yukon that you can't see out those windows anyway! Mirrors.
I am a big user of side view mirrors and I always set them for the vehicle blind spots. I have done that for years and on several different vehicles. It has always worked for me, maybe because I keep a lot of stuff in the back of my truck or mini van as a result of having to shuttle tools between two houses.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Crewcab F150, seats 6 if needed and with kids they can’t reach the your backrest with their feet (parents on long drives know exactly what I’m talking about).

Hard Tonneau cover gives you trunk space galore.
Awful big as a daily driver. Plus, I know in my case, it won't fit in my garage. I have maybe a foot more that our Yukon XL.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, that was helpful. I don't have a ski box for the roof top, so I would like to know if I could fit my 170 CM skis between the back bucket seats and close the tail gate?
I’ll grab a pair of my wife’s 172s and test it and report back.
My 191s fit diagonally with a seat down

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Uncle-A
169 Santa Ana fits.

47E16CA0-32F9-4FF4-B0ED-D1DE286E2549.jpeg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Mrs was bored and messing around looking at cars and ended up adding her phone number to the Subaru Dealer network to get a price on a new Outback. She's gotten like 20 emails and 3-4 phone calls per day from local dealerships trying to bring us a new car LOL. I will say, the prices haven't been better since Cash 4 Klunkers was going on.

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
Mrs was bored and messing around looking at cars and ended up adding her phone number to the Subaru Dealer network to get a price on a new Outback.

Looking over the recent posts here, I'm not sure if the Outback is cross-shopped with something like the Terrain but I'd pick it over the Terrain every time. MSRP may be fairly close for similar equipment but I imagine GMC dealer would discount more.

Uncle-A

Skier
Looking over the recent posts here, I'm not sure if the Outback is cross-shopped with something like the Terrain but I'd pick it over the Terrain every time. MSRP may be fairly close for similar equipment but I imagine GMC dealer would discount more.
My current vehicle is a GMC and no major issues so I don't have a big reason to go elsewhere. Plus I believe in shopping local manufacturers.

Uncle-A

Skier
I am thinking about a new family ski car and my GMC has been good to me. So I have been looking at a GMC Terrain and was wondering if anyone in the PUGSKI Community has any history with a Terrain. Thanks in advance for your input.
I drove the Terrain yesterday and I have to agree with @Philpug it does have a big blind spot. I do use the side view mirrors and they are a help. There was something about the vehicle as a whole, not bad and not a dream car. If I could get a great price on a well equipped model might be an option.
Next vehicle I will look at is a Jeep Cherokee maybe a model in the middle of the price range. Does anyone have any feedback for me?
Thanks again for any help you can give.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wll add, for reliability, American cars are much better than they used to be and imports are not as good as they once were either, they are much closer now.

Back to the blind spot, yes i use the mirrors but I also like to have the option of looking over my shoulder. We looked at Honda Crosstour before we bought the Alltrack. It was awful visability out the back.

@Ron has a Grand Cherokee, he might be able to chime in on them.

I would not dismiss Hyundai and Kia, they are producing some really good vehicles right now.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Next vehicle I will look at is a Jeep Cherokee maybe a model in the middle of the price range. Does anyone have any feedback for me?
Thanks again for any help you can give.

I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland and my wife has a 2016 Cherokee Trail hawk. first the good: its my favorite vehicle I have owned to date and I've owned a lot of cars. :). It rides smoothly, has plenty of power (even living in the mountains) handles well (for a SUV) and is incredible in the winter with Snow tires. Lots of nice features. I get about 17-18mpg around town but on the highway I get 25-27, again, thats mountain driving. I just love this Jeep,

The bad: I strongly recommend getting an extended warranty. we have had the A/c replaced, the entire Radiator system, and various other parts and components replaced. All were covered under the warranty but coming off of owning BMW's we are not used to these kinds of issues.

cargo room is great, I fit 186 ski's in it easily. I think the GC is the perfect size.

would I buy again, YES! I'll probably buy the 2021 new version coming out.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland and my wife has a 2016 Cherokee Trail hawk. first the good: its my favorite vehicle I have owned to date and I've owned a lot of cars. :). It rides smoothly, has plenty of power (even living in the mountains) handles well (for a SUV) and is incredible in the winter with Snow tires. Lots of nice features. I get about 17-18mpg around town but on the highway I get 25-27, again, thats mountain driving. I just love this Jeep,

The bad: I strongly recommend getting an extended warranty. we have had the A/c replaced, the entire Radiator system, and various other parts and components replaced. All were covered under the warranty but coming off of owning BMW's we are not used to these kinds of issues.

cargo room is great, I fit 186 ski's in it easily. I think the GC is the perfect size.

would I buy again, YES! I'll probably buy the 2021 new version coming out.
Thanks, it is a good tip about the extended warranty, did you get it through the dealer? I am looking at the middle of the road price range, the GC is more than I wanted to part with. Debating between the 4 cylinder and the 6 cylinder also. I don't tow a lot but just a bit concerned about the 4 cylinder. It is good to hear that my 170 CM skis will fit with no problem. Thanks

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Thanks, it is a good tip about the extended warranty, did you get it through the dealer? I am looking at the middle of the road price range, the GC is more than I wanted to part with. Debating between the 4 cylinder and the 6 cylinder also. I don't tow a lot but just a bit concerned about the 4 cylinder. It is good to hear that my 170 CM skis will fit with no problem. Thanks

I bought it from the dealer and negotiated the cost.

Are you buying the Cherokee? get the 6cyl. the 4 would be a dog and a Half. I will verify you can fit a 175 in the Cherokee if you are looking at Cherokees and not Grand Cherokees. Let me know.

Uncle-A

Skier

Are you buying the Cherokee? get the 6cyl. the 4 would be a dog and a Half. I will verify you can fit a 175 in the Cherokee if you are looking at Cherokees and not Grand Cherokees. Let me know.
Cherokee Latitude Plus is my current interest and I understand about the 6 cylinder. Thanks

Reactions: Ron

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Debating between the 4 cylinder and the 6 cylinder also
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Quality is comperable. That said, out of all the 4WD and AWD vehicles I've driven, the Forester we have seems to be "smarter" than the others I've driven all other things equal. Full disclosure thought that I've not driven other AWD wagons all that much. Is it still arguable that Subaru's Symmetrical AWD is superior to other comparable wagons from different companies? I can make just about anything with good tires work in bad weather. But, for my wife and kids who didn't grow up in snow country, a better moustrap is worth paying a premium for.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Quality is comperable. That said, out of all the 4WD and AWD vehicles I've driven, the Forester we have seems to be "smarter" than the others I've driven all other things equal. Full disclosure thought that I've not driven other AWD wagons all that much. Is it still arguable that Subaru's Symmetrical AWD is superior to other comparable wagons from different companies? I can make just about anything with good tires work in bad weather. But, for my wife and kids who didn't grow up in snow country, a better moustrap is worth paying a premium for.
I have had about 15 Subarus with the majority of them being AWD/4WD. All things being equal ie quality snow tires, the Alltrack we currently have is the best snow car I have ever driven.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Cherokee Latitude Plus is my current interest and I understand about the 6 cylinder. Thanks
here's 2 pics with a 175 ski. at an angle, there's more than enough room. Straight forward, it just touches the center arm rest but with a 170, it wouldn't touch.

Attachments

• FBC805B5-2BCD-4C95-B0A0-77131A558437_1_201_a.jpeg
    FBC805B5-2BCD-4C95-B0A0-77131A558437_1_201_a.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 10
  • EB89A2BF-6DF5-4E51-8F8D-F82B3B84805B_1_201_a.jpeg
    EB89A2BF-6DF5-4E51-8F8D-F82B3B84805B_1_201_a.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 9

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Extended warranties have about a 600% markup so there is a lot of room to negotiate if the Dealer is not super greedy.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I used to be a big GM fan, based on experience with antique rear-wheel drive Caprice, but more recent experience turned me off of GM. I'm not too impressed with Chrysler Corp's reliability record either. As to the Subaru, other than the common well known issues, I would just be Leary about the V-6 with the internal chain driven water pump that will dump coolant into your engine oil when it eventually goes out (note: many other vehicles have this issue too); it's not like you can swap out the water pump for $200 when it starts to leak.

Sponsor