• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

East Coast skis

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
To me, more than snowpack, the unifying feature of eastern skiing is rain.
Annnnd ... right on cue, there it is.
20210216_105726-01.jpeg

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am laughing my ass off at YT vid reviews of 100mm+ skis in which the presenter starts talking about how good on piste they perform and how well they carve and how good one ski quiver they make.

Just last week I had this discussion with some lady who pulled all sorts of fictional arguments against narrow skis like how prefering these over the fat boards is preconception, old fashion, not stunning and bold and brave and yada yada yada.
Nah love, it is physics, your 105 take twice as long edge to edge as my 66. Science, right?

Having said that however, I need to add that I was super skeptical about 90+ skis performance on piste and then I bought SR95. And when today in the afternoon everybody was carefully negotiating their way around moguls, dips and bumps except for yours truly who was blasting full speed through the field not even noticing how uneven it is, grinning like a madman and shouting at random people: I AM THE GROOMER,I AM THE HARVESTER I have to admit some 90+ ski are plain awesome.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Did it hit the mountains as sleet though? There was some hope that the line wouldn't push north enough to hit Sunday River and up.
Don't know about the River, but I have a first-hand report of rain at Wildcat earlier today. (They were also on wind hold early.) So I would guess Sunday River got sleet at best. Sugarloaf was acknowledging "pellety" precipitation this morning before work when I looked.

TS
J

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Don't know about the River, but I have a first-hand report of rain at Wildcat earlier today. (They were also on wind hold early.) So I would guess Sunday River got sleet at best. Sugarloaf was acknowledging "pellety" precipitation this morning before work when I looked.
Wonderful...

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My turn. Jeronimo I ski exactly where you ski, been at Black and SR for the last two weekends. Very very nice packed powder for the most part. Although this weekend the PP was getting much firmer. I have a 10 ski quiver. I own 3 race skis around 70 mm width. I own a 78mm Stockli AX, I own 2 88mm all mtn skis, a 96, a 101, a 108 AT ski, and a 142mm powder ski. I am 6'4", 240 lbs. I would say I got it covered when it comes to ski width choices.

My favorite ski is my 96mm wide Liberty Origin, 187cm long. Why, cause it can ski anything on the mtn, and is far and away the best ski in my quiver for trees and glades. It is far from my best groomer ski, but I like it the best for a one ski quiver. Is it too wide for an East Coast ski, nope not for me. Do my race skis perform much better on groomers, yes by a lot. I have to admit I am really beginning to like my new Stockli AX and mostly because it is so versatile. It can ski most everything well, like the Liberty, except deep powder, where the Liberty excels (although the Liberty doesn't equal my fatties for float, nothing does except a snow board on each foot).

The Stockli is a ski that supports Noodlers perspective, the Liberty supports Truberski's perspective. East Coast mtn's have invested a lot in snow making in the last 20 years and IMHO the snow conditions have greatly improved. I would absolutely agree that 20 years ago, even given todays ski choices, I would go <85mm for East Coast skiing. Not nearly as much ice as there used to be. There wasn't any glade skiing allowed back then in resorts. I think that is where the narrow East Coast ski bias comes from. Having at least a 2 ski quiver for East Coast is a real advantage I think, and if you only want one, I would say 85-95 mm is the way to go for most skiers. If carving is your thing, then go narrower for sure.

Lastly, my wife was struggling on her 78mm wide Head Monster skis (early 2008 models) if it wasn't a well groomed slope. I bought her a pair of K2 pinnacles, 95mm wide with lots of rocker, and now she can ski in any snow condition, doesn't have to be groomed. The skis pivot and allow her to do smeared turns in difficult snow. (give credit to Noodler for describing this well). She has never gone back to her Heads. Wide skis are easier to pivot in grabby snow and she is not looking to become an expert, just go out and have fun on the slopes for a day. To each his own.

Sponsor