• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

East Coast skis

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
So thanks to this collective of drug pushers I'm basically full on addicted to trying out skis and building up my quiver. I live in Maine and ski ME, NH, VT and I've read many threads from all you knuckleheads (leeching as much knowledge as I can). I frequently see you guys tell all newcomers looking for a single east coast ski to try something < 75mm. I see a lot of 90-100mm ski's up here and those guys tear it up. Personally, I haven't been on anything smaller than 80, but I'm curious. If you could recommend a single ski for east coast fun (lets say 80% groomer/20% other) what would you suggest?

I'm betting Laser AX is going to be mentioned quite a few times... But I'm genuinely curious.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Width depends on your ability of skiing and just what you want to do. If you're only skiing the groomers, then a front side craver, ie <75 is the ski. But if you want to venture into the trees, bumped up stuff, then you need wider.

I find that most 80+ skis don't hold the white ice we get in the east. But do the places you ski get that icy? I love my Hero's, but if I were heading to the Loaf, I'd be taking the Santa Ana's too.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
We need a little more information, hight, weight how well you ski, etc.. For the East Coast ICE the Head SUPER SHAPES are hard to beat. If you want under 80MM they have a few to choose from. If you want 80MM or up the Titen is a good place to start.

TS
J

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Width depends on your ability of skiing and just what you want to do. If you're only skiing the groomers, then a front side craver, ie <75 is the ski. But if you want to venture into the trees, bumped up stuff, then you need wider.

I find that most 80+ skis don't hold the white ice we get in the east. But do the places you ski get that icy? I love my Hero's, but if I were heading to the Loaf, I'd be taking the Santa Ana's too.
I guess that's kind of my question/dispute though. Maybe I'm just odd but even in bumps/tree's, that snow is still pretty dang hard within 4 hours of the lifts opening post a snowstorm. I guess I'm questioning why the advice is often to go wider in the east coast bumps when it logically doesn't seem to matter. West coast, for sure, but over here... I watch people go down the chair lift line all the time at Sunday River (Jordan bowl in this case) and that snow is almost never soft. I see narrow skis, wide skis, park skis, nothing seems to slow those guys down.

Perhaps I'm trying to figure out if I've generated some personal bias I'm unaware of, or if there is a bias in the prevalent "east coast, slim waist" mantra? And I mean lets be honest, when we talk east coast ICE, is there really a ski that makes that extreme enjoyable? Short of a pair of ice skates...

Fleece82

Booting up
Skier
So thanks to this collective of drug pushers I'm basically full on addicted to trying out skis and building up my quiver. I live in Maine and ski ME, NH, VT and I've read many threads from all you knuckleheads (leeching as much knowledge as I can). I frequently see you guys tell all newcomers looking for a single east coast ski to try something < 75mm. I see a lot of 90-100mm ski's up here and those guys tear it up. Personally, I haven't been on anything smaller than 80, but I'm curious. If you could recommend a single ski for east coast fun (lets say 80% groomer/20% other) what would you suggest?

I'm betting Laser AX is going to be mentioned quite a few times... But I'm genuinely curious.
I literally am in the same boat as you and have been doing the same. I was about to post nearly the same thread. Only difference is im in WV and ski here, PA, MD. Hoping your style of skiing and size is similar to mine so I can just stay tuned here.

FWIW If you are a hard charger like me and stick mostly to groomers, the Wingman CTI seems to be a popular vote! Guy At my local shop just demo'd a set and loved them on hardpack. He just wasn't sure how they would handle the crud and fresh stuff when we actually get snow. So wasn't comfortable recommending as a 1 ski quiver.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
It depends on what you like and if you are mostly on groomers. I have a pair of Salomon SMax Blasts that I love. I replaced a pair of Head iRallys which were easier to ski but not as stable at speeds. The Heads were better in bumps because they were a bit softer. I have never skied the Stocklis.

TS
J

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
I literally am in the same boat as you and have been doing the same. I was about to post nearly the same thread. Only difference is im in WV and ski here, PA, MD. Hoping your style of skiing and size is similar to mine so I can just stay tuned here.

FWIW If you are a hard charger like me and stick mostly to groomers, the Wingman CTI seems to be a popular vote! Guy At my local shop just demo'd a set and loved them on hardpack. He just wasn't sure how they would handle the crud and fresh stuff when we actually get snow. So wasn't comfortable recommending as a 1 ski quiver.

Cool, hope we both gain some knowledge! I'm just shy of 6 ft, 200lbs, and I'd call myself an Intermediate knocking on the door of Advanced (which may be generous). I don't love bumps yet, but I'm working on it. Safety is kind of a big thing for me so that always balances out the adrenaline pursuit which keeps me from dropping down trails like Flying Monkey at Sunday River for example...

I actually own Renoun Atlas 80's and a pair of Stockli AR's, but reading up on this years stuff has me super curious on a handful of planks in the 88-100mm range. Which is confusing, cause everyone keeps saying on one hand how great these "95mm waist chargers" are on the groomers but in the same breath say "Nah, you want something < 80mm". Its pretty confusing at times. Good example would be the DPS Pagoda Piste 94's, lots of people are raving about them on groomers, but they're wide. Leaves me scratching my head wondering if there's a nuance I'm missing due to inexperience with broader ski conditions.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I think a lot of the confusion comes from the fact that it's all relative. Saying an 94 mm waist ski rips on groomers is like saying an all-season tire has good snow and ice traction; it does, compared to other no-season tires, but not compared to a studded Nokian Hakkapelitta 9. The top-end narrow full-camber skis are the winter tire equivalent of the Hakka 9. What they do is rail high angle fast turns on hard snow and ice. What they don't do is make skiing deeper softer snow easy, and they are too stiff for ideal bump skis.

If I had to choose a single ski for east coast, I would get a Stockli SX, Fischer Curve Booster or similar for the groomers and just put up with their incalcitrant behaviour elsewhere, but I know how to ski in that style and have acquired a taste for it. You won't acquire a taste for it unless you do it.

That's just me though; I love what I love and am willing to put up with a lot. Years ago I had one ski, a Super-G ski for everything, I put up with the extra work in moguls, because I loved how it handled speed so much.

Now I have a quiver.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just ordered SkiEssentials deal on 2020 Kastle 89's after demoing a friends...loved my demo time, assuming will love the skis. Might be worth the review. I ski midwest 400' vert ice a lot of times and they demoed as well as my Volkl RTMs' 81 on ice which are pure carve/race (and also fun), but the 89 Kastle's are more versatile.

TS
J

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
If I had to choose a single ski for east coast, I would get a Stöckli SX, Fischer Curve Booster or similar for the groomers and just put up with their incalcitrant behaviour elsewhere, but I know how to ski in that style and have acquired a taste for it. You won't acquire a taste for it unless you do it.

Good word! 2nd time this week someone's used that in proximity to me. Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate the insight.

TS
J

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just ordered SkiEssentials deal on 2020 Kästle 89's after demoing a friends...loved my demo time, assuming will love the skis. Might be worth the review. I ski midwest 400' vert ice a lot of times and they demoed as well as my Völkl RTMs' 81 on ice which are pure carve/race (and also fun), but the 89 Kästle's are more versatile.

I am currently fascinated by Kastle's. I'm not rich enough to just buy a pair but the 88's or the earlier 74's sound freaking awesome.

Fleece82

Booting up
Skier
Cool, hope we both gain some knowledge! I'm just shy of 6 ft, 200lbs, and I'd call myself an Intermediate knocking on the door of Advanced (which may be generous). I don't love bumps yet, but I'm working on it. Safety is kind of a big thing for me so that always balances out the adrenaline pursuit which keeps me from dropping down trails like Flying Monkey at Sunday River for example...

I actually own Renoun Atlas 80's and a pair of Stöckli AR's, but reading up on this years stuff has me super curious on a handful of planks in the 88-100mm range. Which is confusing, cause everyone keeps saying on one hand how great these "95mm waist chargers" are on the groomers but in the same breath say "Nah, you want something < 80mm". Its pretty confusing at times. Good example would be the DPS Pagoda Piste 94's, lots of people are raving about them on groomers, but they're wide. Leaves me scratching my head wondering if there's a nuance I'm missing due to inexperience with broader ski conditions.
I'm close to your size. 5'11 190lbs. I'm not much for bumps either but really enjoy charging hard down groomers and carving at high speeds. Like you I hear alot of praise for mid fat chargers in the 80-90 range. I daily the MX88. How do you like the Stockli AR?

Like you I've read reviews, threads, and watched video reviews at nauseum. I'm starting to get on the boat of a 2 ski quiver for east coast. A 70-80 for the hardest and icy days then a high 80's-90's for when we get a dump or have consecutive snow days leaving the trails ungroomed and in pack powder, piled up conditions.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
RENOUN Atlas 80 will work very well for groomers, bumps, and trees, but the Endurance 88's for all Mtn east coast skiing are a better single ski quiver. (they rip groomers pretty damn well too.)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I watch people go down the chair lift line all the time at Sunday River (Jordan bowl in this case) and that snow is almost never soft. I see narrow skis, wide skis, park skis, nothing seems to slow those guys down.

Most of those guys are skiing out of control. Doesn't take much to ski fast. Just a smattering of ignorance. To ski in control, OTOH will take a bit more skill.

I actually own Renoun Atlas 80's and a pair of Stöckli AR's, but reading up on this years stuff has me super curious on a handful of planks in the 88-100mm range. Which is confusing, cause everyone keeps saying on one hand how great these "95mm waist chargers" are on the groomers but in the same breath say "Nah, you want something < 80mm". Its pretty confusing at times. Good example would be the DPS Pagoda Piste 94's, lots of people are raving about them on groomers, but they're wide. Leaves me scratching my head wondering if there's a nuance I'm missing due to inexperience with broader ski conditions.

The parts in bold are not in alignment.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am currently fascinated by Kästle's. I'm not rich enough to just buy a pair but the 88's or the earlier 74's sound freaking awesome.
Roger that, but to clarify SE is selling the 2020 89's with bindings for $550 FYI. The 88's are 2021 and very expensive. I've skied them both and prefer the 89s even though the 88's are more forgiving.

If not a match, other fun ideas (with bindings) depending on length needs via SE 2020 blowout...Kendo 88's at $500, Elan Ripstick 88s at $480ish, Nordica Doberman Spitfire 80s at $515ish, and maybe even the Kanjos at about $450ish.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think if you already have the Atlas 80 but you still want a wider ice coast ski then maybe a Liberty V92. I just say that since we have a V82 in the family that just seems very nice. For me, I am perfectly happy with my Kanjo's (182cm) for east coast hardpack and some off trail use this year, but I have also skied 102mm wide 4-fronts that were awesome on ice, so I think its more about what you like to ski. If I buy another 95+ ski it won't be for east coast. I'm 6'3'/220. The Kastle deal sounds pretty good.

TS
J

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
The parts in bold are not in alignment.

Haha! Yeah, I get that. But even I can tell, they rip. I talked to Rick and SkiSharp for a while back when Covid hit and the little shops were in need of support. So, I decided to pull the trigger on them per our conversations. I was very forthcoming about my abilities and his response was "Well, do you want to get better? Because these will make you get better." So I jumped on them. No regrets!

I'm close to your size. 5'11 190lbs. I'm not much for bumps either but really enjoy charging hard down groomers and carving at high speeds. Like you I hear alot of praise for mid fat chargers in the 80-90 range. I daily the MX88. How do you like the Stöckli AR?

They're amazing. Hold an edge like a dream and are damp as hell. It really does feel like you're on another level of quality. That said, I absolutely ADORE the Atlas 80's as well. They're just super fun and turn on a dime.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
My view is the east coast is too internally variable for a single answer to this question to really exist.

That said, I like much wider skis than most here and I think I get a couple of things from them. The biggest selling point for wider skis to me is versatility across use types more than snow types. My typical day has some combination of serious “speed” groomers, “playful” groomers, bumps, trees and terrain park runs. I own an almost arbitrarily large number of skis, but I can’t ski with more than one pair at a time so being fun all day is a very nice feature. If I’m day tripping I hate going to car to swap at lunch.

The biggest limitation of wider skis for me (which I learned this year) is actually much more related to how they work on flatter and smaller hills. Even if I enjoy skiing groomers on wide skis, they do have a pretty high minimum speed to come alive.

Also note - I have no reason to believe the combination of attributes I want is particularly reliant on the ski having a wide-ish narrowest point, but all the skis people actually make with a wide performance envelope tend to be wider than 80 mm.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
So you love the AR and adore the Atlas, but yet you want more. TBH, i am totally wasting time here, but what the heck .... among the SE 'killer deals' under $600, not a lot in your expected length. I'd get the 186cm Ripstick 88. Actually, i would get the Legend 106 :)

TS
J

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
RENOUN Atlas 80 will work very well for groomers, bumps, and trees, but the Endurance 88's for all Mtn east coast skiing are a better single ski quiver. (they rip groomers pretty damn well too.)
I'm a huge Cyrus fan, have had more than one lengthy conversation with him being an engineer myself. I'm 100% thrilled with my Atlas 80's but MAN the Endurance 88's look cool as hell!

Sponsor

Staff online