• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Earliest songs U remember on radio?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
amico_cheeseburger_radio_1410638.jpg

Yes, I had the cheeseburger radio. I had completely forgotten about this, and it was later than when I heard Bridge. I used it for Captain and Tennille, KC and the Sunshine Band, maybe a little Leo Sayer...

Last edited:
TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thriller - in 1983 my wife and I took a 25 day cheapo trip through Europe. MJ's Thriller was huge in the US at the time AND just as huge everywhere we went in Europe. Heard tunes from that album all over the place.

I had something like this for a few years as a teenager.
il_570xN.835163212_19np.jpg

It had a microphone attached to it on a wire and I can clearly remember holding the mike up to a radio and recording Touch Me by The Doors when it was playing on the radio as a hit song. My first mix tape, 1969.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
We were actually good freinds with Jerry Hyman who was the sax player on the album. He is the one in the back row with the glasses on. Him and his wife lived in Newfoundland Pa.
Two degrees of separation between Philpug and Dave Petersen. And a celebrity is the connecting node. Pretty cool. Ooh, 6 degrees of separation would make a good thread . . .

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Another super early song I remember from the car radio. I was pretty young -- major road trip to Disneyland.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Early 70s..
Rain Drop Keep Falling on my Head -Bacharack?
That song was beyond annoying. It was elevator music with words and got mucho overplayed, I think because of Redford and Ross' scene in the movie.

If that's your formative experience with music we're all lucky you're not a serial killer, rapist or, moving to the extreme, a politician.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oh...Charlie Pride. This is the first song I remember hearing on the radio.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That song was beyond annoying. It was elevator music with words and got mucho overplayed, I think because of Redford and Ross' scene in the movie. ...

That was the first drive-in movie I ever went to. Maybe the last, as well.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
I heard Secret Agent Man by Johnny Rivers playing repeatedly at a Saturday night summer party in the late 1960s coming from a neighbor's house while I was trying to fall asleep. It was coming from house with 5 sisters, all much older than me. I still think of that moment when I hear it.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
That song was beyond annoying. It was elevator music with words and got mucho overplayed, I think because of Redford and Ross' scene in the movie.

If that's your formative experience with music we're all lucky you're not a serial killer, rapist or, moving to the extreme, a politician.
I was living in Korea at that time a little south of where my father was serving in the military. I was 6 and a half. Options were pretty limited there.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
My dad listened to a lot of 70s era rock when I was little so I always remember listening to that on the radio. I remember distinctly belting out Eric Clapton's 'You look wonderful tonight' while cruising somewhere. My brother and I used to sing the Beach Boy's Kokomo a capella quite often together. As for music of my era, the first tape I ever bought was Blind Melon (90s kids represent!)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Two degrees of separation between Philpug and Dave Petersen. And a celebrity is the connecting node. Pretty cool. Ooh, 6 degrees of separation would make a good thread . . .
Actually....There is one degree of separation between @Dave Petersen and I and that is @Hart Ache. Hart Ache is the grandson of Hart Holmberg and Dave and I both worked for Hart about a decade ago.

Muleski

Inactive
I can clearly remember the most annoying song on the radio. In 1972, I was a delivery truck driver for a summer job, and I swear that "Brandy" by Looking Glass was played about four times an hour by every station in the state. That was a particularly great year for crappy music. Another that got way too much air time was "A horse with no name" by America.
Every day, all day...........

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I can clearly remember the most annoying song on the radio. In 1972, I was a delivery truck driver for a summer job, and I swear that "Brandy" by Looking Glass was played about four times an hour by every station in the state. That was a particularly great year for crappy music. Another that got way too much air time was "A horse with no name" by America.
I got a brand new pair of roller-skates....

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The first rock song I remember on the radio was "Rock Around The Clock" by Bill Haley and the Comets. I also remember going to the movies with my older sister to see the movie of the same name staring Bill Haley it was around 1956. Not bring anyone down but he just passed away on 9 Oct 2016.

Other than rock songs my mom had the radio on in our house all the time and songs by Perry Como stick in my head from the early to mid 1950's

BTW this is post number 500 for me and it is a fun topic.

Last edited:

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
During that time I worked in a grocery store on the night crew. We rigged up a radio to one of the store speakers and played it all night, every night. We soon realized that they were playing a lot of songs repeatedly. We kept count one night. Not only did they not make it through the whole top 40, they only played about 25 different songs the entire 8-hour shift.

Sponsor

Staff online