• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Earliest songs U remember on radio?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Oldtimers and youngsters: What are some of the earliest songs you can remember from your childhood when they were current hits on the radio? Any funny or interesting memories associated with these early songs?

I was born in 1953 and can remember doing Elvis impersonations for my older siblings, parents and friends when Elvis tunes were playing in the house during his run of numerous huge hits in the late 1950s. I'm told I was a bit hyperactive as a young child, so shaking and jumping around like Elvis came fairly naturally.
:wave:

But then my family moved to Southern California from 1964-66 and as a 10 to 12 year old I have tons of memories of transistor radios and pop music at that time including the Beach Boys and the British Invasion. However, during the summer of 1964 I can remember very specifically debating at the swimming pool with a young buddy over which was the better song among two current hits at the time, C'mon and Swim by Bobby Freeman or House of the Rising Sun by The Animals? I favored Swim, he preferred House of the Rising Sun. Interestingly, Swim is now forgotten and Rising Sun is a classic rock tune. BUT, there's a pretty entertaining and nostalgic version of C'mon and Swim on youtube:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Dreams by Fleetwood Mac. My mom had it on the radio in the car when I was pretty young. Maybe 4 or 5.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can go on and on with this thread, LOL. I had a young teeny bopper teenage aunt who babysat allot. Mostly because I was a little terror to all others and my parents couldn't get anyone else. I'd lock them in the bathroom and do as I please, don't ask how I got them in the bathroom and kept them there long enough to lock them in. They never came back, usually ran out of the house in tears. My older sister hated the live-in's my parents got when I was born and put an end to them. Ironically, my aunt watched all the cool stuff with us, Alfred Hitchcock was a favorite, and she stayed up late with us watching horror movies that scared the daylights out of us! Those were the days!

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Early 70s..
Rain Drop Keep Falling on my Head -Bacharack?
Sugarloaf-Green Eyed Lady was my first favorite true rock song
Not long after that mom got my sister and me these:
$_1.JPG

Sweet was killing it about that time, Fox on the Run, Love is like Oxygen, Little Willy, Ballroom Blitz (and the ski hill had a run named "Ballroom"!
Jackson 5 was also big when I was really young

This is still my all time favorite bass groove...

Sponsor