• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Did you know? (Random things in life)

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Titanic.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Well in the nautical vein, did you know that the record for distance sailed in 24hrs was set in 1854, and wasn’t bested till 1984?

It was set by the Champion of the Seas, 467 nautical miles, 19.46 knots average speed. A clipper ship built in Boston, designed by Donald McKay, 252ft long, 45.5ft beam.

It was beaten in 1984 by an 80ft catamaran, 512nm, 21.35knts.

5F43BAC8-68BA-47AA-B57F-3823D3E01418.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champion_of_the_Seas

https://www.sailspeedrecords.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81&Itemid=21

James

Out There
Instructor
That’s insane!
Interestingly, The Titanic’s speed is the same, 23knots, as the mammoth Royal Oasis pictured.

Here’s the side view:

04558E59-BE19-4E5F-A6AB-FE5FD765D90A.jpeg

Excellent comparison- https://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/titanic-vs-oasis-of-the-seas/

Don’t forget the Costa Concordia satellite view:

85A4311C-DB4E-40C0-A38A-0E69DA94E6F2.jpeg

Full view of Capsized Costa Concordia Cruise Ship, Giglio, Italy- January 17, 2012
The Costa Concordia luxury cruise ship ran aground in the Tuscan waters off of Giglio,Italy on Friday, January, 2012. Giglio Island at left, the Mediterranean Sea at right. Credit: DIGITALGLOBE
https://www.universetoday.com/92740...pwreck-captured-in-stunning-image-from-space/

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well in the nautical vein, did you know that the record for distance sailed in 24hrs was set in 1854, and wasn’t bested till 1984?

It was set by the Champion of the Seas, 467 nautical miles, 19.46 knots average speed. A clipper ship built in Boston, designed by Donald McKay, 252ft long, 45.5ft beam.

It was beaten in 1984 by an 80ft catamaran, 512nm, 21.35knts.

View attachment 78451
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champion_of_the_Seas

https://www.sailspeedrecords.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81&Itemid=21

So how fast can a sailing device on water go?

In November 2012, off the coast of Walvis Bay in Namibia, the Vestas Sailrocket 2 was clocked at an astonishing 59.23 knots (68.1mph), smashing the previous Speed Sailing record by 4.1mph. Six days later, and it broke the record again, as a speed of 65.45 knots (75.2mph) was reached.

The French kitesurfer, Alexandre Caizergues, sailed at 57.97 knots (107.36 km/h) over 500 meters during the 2017 Salt and Speed, a speed sailing event held in Salin-de-Giraud, France.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
"Clipper Ship" -- just reading those words makes me yearn for adventure...

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Moose, Moose, Moose, you do know what an Idiom is, don't you? This has nothing to do with believing everything you read on the internet. It has to do with the fact that an idiom is not necessarily meant to be taken literally.

Yes, we all know it means being drunk. It's the origin of the idiom I was addressing. I'm guessing very few on this board have backed a headsail, much less backed 2 headsails. If you have, you'll have far more insight into this phrase. Maybe some goober said it referring to leaving 3 bedsheets out on the laundry line in the storm (and then wrote about it on the internet), but 1 guy in Ottumwa Iowa doesn't change the origin that came from thousands of sailors.

Years ago, a well known poster on Kzone said he 'didn't want to tip his hat' and reveal his privileged information, and we had a good laugh. He had his idioms mixed up - Tip your hand means to reveal. Same for 3 sheets in the wind, it's a sloppy aberration of a phrase that gets repeated because the person saying it has no idea of the meaning or origin. It's 3 sheets to the wind. If you'd rather get sloppy and run your phrases up the fishing pole and see if anyone catches a fish, well, that's up to you.

What I notice is the Titanic can see the photographer, the modern cruise ship cannot.

Note in advance to nit-pickers:

Yes, I know there was no photographer, it's a composite.
Yes, I know about radar.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So how fast can a sailing device on water go?

In November 2012, off the coast of Walvis Bay in Namibia, the Vestas Sailrocket 2 was clocked at an astonishing 59.23 knots (68.1mph), smashing the previous Speed Sailing record by 4.1mph. Six days later, and it broke the record again, as a speed of 65.45 knots (75.2mph) was reached.

The French kitesurfer, Alexandre Caizergues, sailed at 57.97 knots (107.36 km/h) over 500 meters during the 2017 Salt and Speed, a speed sailing event held in Salin-de-Giraud, France.

Here's the fastest windsurfer, at least as of 2015:
https://www.redbull.com/us-en/fastest-windsurf-run-video
Speed was 53.27 knots (61.3 mph) -- scored by average over 500 meters. From 2004 to 2008 the overall sail record was held by a windsurfer.
The run was in a narrow ditch for max wind but still flat water -- he was very close to the shore in the speed trap. Running aground would be very bad at that speed. There is a video of a crash, but fortunately he only bounced on the surface of the water.
straight-flat-and-fast.jpg

It doesn't look like he is here, but some guys chasing this record wear a weight belt (yikes!) so they can hold down more sail.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
"Clipper Ship" -- just reading those words makes me yearn for adventure...

Scurvy is a dietary disease caused by lack of vitamin C. More sailors died of scurvy—more than three times as many—as soldiers were killed in the American Civil War.

They had it beat by the era of the clippers although oranges to lemons there were some vitamin C deniers still around.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Scurvy is a dietary disease caused by lack of vitamin C. More sailors died of scurvy—more than three times as many—as soldiers were killed in the American Civil War.

They had it beat by the era of the clippers although oranges to lemons there were some vitamin C deniers still around.
As I have heard the British sailors used limes because they lasted longer then other fruits on long sea voyages. So the Brits got the nickname of limes.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
And the British Navy is civilized, they allow booze on board. :D

James

Out There
Instructor
It's 3 sheets to the wind. If you'd rather get sloppy and run your phrases up the fishing pole and see if anyone catches a fish, well, that's up to you.
You keep saying that. How about some historical evidence? Everything I’ve seen from 200 yrs ago has been “in the wind”. Even Charles Dickens who seems pretty clued in to sailor talk.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
And the British Navy is civilized, they allow booze on board. :D

and flogging :roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online