• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Did you know? (Random things in life)

James

Out There
Instructor
I'd just made up a plausible backwards origin story about it origninating from cricket but turns out to be something about longer boundaries in ball parks
Or it comes from their being a psychiatric asylum beyond left field at a baseball park in Chicago. It started as “out of left field” I think.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
This is more about perception than knowing. You good people probably are already aware of the topic.
Hung out over at the National Bison Preserve South of Flathead Lake Yesterday, a recommended place to spend a day. Came upon this display dealing with Lake Missoula and the Central Washington Floods.....

Never heard of Lake Missoula before, nor its flood. Found a good visualization about it on youtube.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Another flood visualisation - this time more recent.

By the way? If you're a guy, odds are you are NOT aiming for the proper part of the bowl. (US style bowls, does not apply to Euro style or Turkish style bowls):

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Did you know that 2,500,000 acres have burned in Alaska this fire season? And it is not over for them.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Did you know that 2,500,000 acres have burned in Alaska this fire season? And it is not over for them.
Did you know that there is a rainforest in Alaska?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Did you know that the rotating tray in a microwave makes one rotation in 10 seconds of cooking.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
law of urination.jpg

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
It's a glory seen from an airplane. (Glories seen from a cliff are arguably better, since they are interactive (move your head!) and don't have a window in between.)

I'm guessing the phrase originates sometime after the invention of airplanes.

So here's the answer - keep in mind it is a Pilot's Cross, not a passenger's cross.

Consequently it is seen only from the cockpit, not the side window. Which let's out the easily googleable passenger window video.

Yes,it is a "glory", ie a circular rainbow. When approaching a vertical cloud surface, typically a tall cumulo-nimbus in the afternoon with the sun behind you, you see your shadow on the vertical cloud face in front of you. It starts out with the rainbow large and the shadow small. As you get closer, the shadow gets bigger and more distinct, and the radius of the rainbow gets smaller. Keep in mind this happens at upwards of 200mph. At about 1/2 second before entering the cloud, the rainbow is bright and has shrunk to the size of your shadow, and the cross formed by the wings and the aircraft vertical stabilizer fill the circle. Your wing shadow rushes through and past the circle; faster than you can process it the cross grows large and the rainbow shrinks to a point. That is the Pilot's Cross. And in the wink of an eye it is gone, you fly right into and through the movie screen cloudwall, and you are from the bright into the murk.

I've tried capturing the moment, but the camera is always fooled by the bright sky and does not see it as our eye does. It gets very washed out.

"It's Irish luck and Dorothy,
Reflected refractivity.
From bended bows when all is right,
The Pliot's Cross comes in to sight..."

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So here's the answer - keep in mind it is a Pilot's Cross, not a passenger's cross.

Consequently it is seen only from the cockpit, not the side window. Which let's out the easily googleable passenger window video.

Yes,it is a "glory", ie a circular rainbow. When approaching a vertical cloud surface, typically a tall cumulo-nimbus in the afternoon with the sun behind you, you see your shadow on the vertical cloud face in front of you. It starts out with the rainbow large and the shadow small. As you get closer, the shadow gets bigger and more distinct, and the radius of the rainbow gets smaller. Keep in mind this happens at upwards of 200mph. At about 1/2 second before entering the cloud, the rainbow is bright and has shrunk to the size of your shadow, and the cross formed by the wings and the aircraft vertical stabilizer fill the circle. Your wing shadow rushes through and past the circle; faster than you can process it the cross grows large and the rainbow shrinks to a point. That is the Pilot's Cross. And in the wink of an eye it is gone, you fly right into and through the movie screen cloudwall, and you are from the bright into the murk.

I've tried capturing the moment, but the camera is always fooled by the bright sky and does not see it as our eye does. It gets very washed out.

"It's Irish luck and Dorothy,
Reflected refractivity.
From bended bows when all is right,
The Pliot's Cross comes in to sight..."

Hadn't thought about the different perspective. Yes, flying right at it would be a lot cooler.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
19.215198808 to be exact :D

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
I didn't ever pay attention to imperial ounces, but outboard motor gas tank carrying kids know that 5 imperial gallons = 6 us gallons.

James

Out There
Instructor
Wait what? That seems waaaay low unless we include scent-marking. Or unless we're weighting the average by the number of individuals of each species (e.g. there are a lot of rats compared to horses).

*Tosses that into the largish pile of highly suspicious averages*
21sec +/- 13secs.
Rats are out of the picture. Looks like you've got to be several kgs.
The spread looks flatter because of the scale.

IMG_6658.JPG

--------------
Still, Hu says it's a remarkably tight window. After all, even though an elephant's 18-liter bladder is nearly 3,600 times larger than a cat's, it doesn't take 3,600 times longer to empty. This means that the elephant must be spewing out a massive torrent of liquid at high speeds in order to empty itself in the same time frame as a relatively tiny feline bladder.
------------------
https://m.phys.org/news/2014-06-urination-duration-mammals-seconds.html

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I was walking down Bourbon Street in N.O. a few years ago and the police have a big presence. One of them was on a horse that decided to empty its bladder just as we walked by. I can tell you that the big animals have a big flow. This one was amplified by the fact that it was pissing on pavement.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope this doesn’t turn into a variation of dick-waving: “My flow rate is greater than yours.”

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I was walking down Bourbon Street in N.O. a few years ago and the police have a big presence. One of them was on a horse that decided to empty its bladder just as we walked by. I can tell you that the big animals have a big flow. This one was amplified by the fact that it was pissing on pavement.

Watched a cattle truck due something very similar to a nice young family in a convertible with the top down and 2 little girls all dressed up for church in the backseat. The "splats" were accompanied by a lot of joyous shrieking from the car, well, I think it was joyous. Don't believe they made it to church that day.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Laysan Albatross (Goonie Birds) whistle, clack, and moo during their mating dance.

The noise on Midway Island when the goodies are there is constant day and night. You get use to it after a day or so. When I went back to Hawaii I couldn’t sleep the first night. It was too damn quiet.

The first thing that hits you stepping off the plane at Midway is the smell. There’s a lot of bird poop "fermenting’ when the birds are there.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did you know, @Philpug has never seen the movie Aspen Extreme? :eek:

Sponsor