• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Did I fall out of a time machine? What am I doing?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No one mentioned the boots purchased online? Come on, this is Ski Talk. The first comment has to be something like “go see a bootfitter” or “marry your boots, date your skis” or "your boots are probably two sizes too big." Its like I typed in the wrong web address or something.
Lol...

I almost asked about the boots, but given his past skiing experience I figured boot fit/feel hasn't changed that much and he'd know if they were really ill fitting.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Lol...

I almost asked about the boots, but given his past skiing experience I figured boot fit/feel hasn't changed that much

It has.

and he'd know if they were really ill fitting.

Depends on his original fit. Two hypothetical wrong clocks might be closer to each other than to the actual time :)

On the upside, he has mouldable shells.

EDIT: if he chases @James ' point of controlling from the front of the ski, he might very well wind up playing with spoilers and front/back balance, but let's not overflood him now.

Last edited:

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Get a copy of this book if you'd like to see the technical side of shaped skis.
I got back into skiing after a long break as well. This book helped me immensely. Picked it up used on Amazon for a few bucks last year.

Attachments

• 20230331_122554.jpg
    20230331_122554.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 12

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
As others have said, you're "turning" by heel-pushing instead of tipping the skis and letting them do the work. That pattern "works" on groomers, but in deeper snow it rapidly becomes exhausting. You can't "push" a literal mountain of snow around for very long before your legs give out.

High strung "carving" skis also aren't going to like being skied like that... the ski's edge is constantly trying to engage while you're constantly trying to push it out of engagement. You're fighting what the skis are trying to do. Skis want to arc; they want to pull you into a turn, they want to pull you across the hill. And you can still stay in an extremely tight corridor, but the path the skis are taking (in modern skiing) is wildly different from the path your skis are taking.

As has been aluded to in more recent posts; your boot fit is of paramount importance. If they're too big, then the most efficient movement patterns can be virtually impossible to realize. If you bought your ski boots to be the same size as your street shoes, then they're almost certainly much too big. You need a professional boot fitter to evaluate that though as nobody here can see your feet.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's quirky that way though.

I've always wondered if carving can be done on straight skis.

Never have I thought if "straight skiing" can be done on carved skis. And this guy showed it can be done! And that's quirky.
Carving on straight skis? Of course, I probably did almost as much on straight skis as on “ shaped” skis but I started skiing as a kid in 69/70 . Is it harder.?Absolutely , the technique is different but anyone who raced up until the 90’s did it. I agree, I have no problem with @ActionStar ‘s skiing , I like seeing different types and styles isn’t that why we liberated ourselves from the shackles of the Austrian technique? ( what? Too soon? :roflmao: ) I think he’ll unlock the skis and be up to date in no time once he adjusts.

TS
A

ActionStar

Booting up
Skier
@ActionStar just since we are talking about all new technologies….. are you aware that Ripsticks are specific left and right skis?

I thought that would be obvious to anyone who owns a pair but I chatted to a guy on a chair about his Ripsticks and he was like ‘I don’t know… some days they are great, some are not.’ Turns out he did NOT know the skies where left/right specific.

Another bit: an old timer ski shop dude I know skis only the ripsticks 96. And he does some crazy terrain at Taos. And obviously he has access to all sorts of skis.

welcome back to skiing.
Haha, yup definitely know about the left & right skis. Seems like it would be a bit hard to miss...
IMG_2518.JPG

Last edited:
TS
A

ActionStar

Booting up
Skier
Gotta love this thread as full Skitalk turbo. Dude has had literally one day back at skiing and suddenly everyone's selling him on booster straps and FIS SLs. He'll probably end up with a full quiver of Peak by Bode skis by next week (until next year's fashion is revealed).

I'd say forget the equipment noise. concentrate on what skiing feels like and what you are doing with your feet, ankles, toes, knees and hips. You've got a bunch of turn shapes and transition methods and balance to work on before you worry about adding gear. So your ski may not be the optimum someone else would have chosen who cares : it's a good around ski for a youngish athletic skier and it's way better than the ski you weren't skiing last month.
That's funny because I almost bought Peak skis, but I just missed the 2-1 sale and then decided to hold off a year till they hammer any kinks out.

TS
A

ActionStar

Booting up
Skier
Great looking turns. Fun thread.

Yes, your pole usage is a bit off. Tap the pole on the snow at the very end of the old turn, not after the new turn starts, which is what you are doing now.

Tap, or touch, do not punch. Tap the pole next to your foot, not out front. No need to reach out front. Simply use wrists to swing the basket fore and aft.

Use the pole tap as a timing agent for turns like these. Those pole taps should work like drumbeats. The taps control the rhythm and tempo. Speed up your taps, and your turn tempo will speed up for higher energy turns. Slow them down, and your turns will become smooth flowing. The radius will change. Fun!

They may need shortening when you stop reaching.
Thanks, this makes sense. Very helpful note.

TS
A

ActionStar

Booting up
Skier
No one mentioned the boots purchased online? Come on, this is Ski Talk. The first comment has to be something like “go see a bootfitter” or “marry your boots, date your skis” or "your boots are probably two sizes too big." Its like I typed in the wrong web address or something.

In seriousness to OP, take a lesson. Really that’s the only advice you need right now (and maybe properly fitted boots and narrower skis, but those can wait). Yes, you look like an Action Star from a 70s or 80s ski movie. But you’re clearly athletic and coordinated. If you find a decent instructor and go into the lesson with an open mind, you’ll be up to speed with modern technique very quickly.
I went full turbo on this and ordered 10 pairs of ski boots, haha. Returned nine, kept that one since it felt good, kind of a one-boot quiver if I want to try backcountry, also happened to be the cheapest of the lot. Probably my least favorite looking of the bunch, but I read enough comments and watched enough youtube vids, not to go on looks. I also sized down.

Gave myself a budget of $1000 for skis, boots, bindings, poles, and mounting...and incredibly pulled it off with top notch gear and hit it exactly on the dollar, like it was all meant to be...at least for this spring season. ;)

Except it's not. And the proof is: NO ONE has commented on his wax choice yet.

Haha, I made friends with a guy on the chair lift, that's how I ended up getting the video. After a few runs, he asked me what wax I had on my skis because I was blowing past him on the flats/catwalks...he had just done that Phantom one-time wax and I was using a mini deodorant stick.

I think he has a fun(ny), unique, and quirky skiing style and it'd be a shame if he morphs into just another tech skiing style skier.

Lots of good advice here...I feel like I could pick up the carving techniques pretty quick and then eventually add some old school flavor back into it for my taste & extra style points.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, your pole usage is a bit off. Tap the pole on the snow at the very end of the old turn, not after the new turn starts, which is what you are doing now.

Money, right there!

Except it's not. And the proof is: NO ONE has commented on his wax choice yet.

Wax choice is trivial to the OP at this point.

Edge bevels, now that's another story! :geek:

TS
A

ActionStar

Booting up
Skier
Used this stuff...seemed convenient, no need to buy the whole wax setup...stick it in your backpack or pocket. Does it work? I think so, but I also have no idea. No baseline to judge. :huh:

Also, is it worth buying something like this...dual edge tuner & soft or hard gummy stone?

Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 12.57.42 PM.png

IMG_2530.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online