• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Did I fall out of a time machine? What am I doing?

ActionStar

Booting up
Skier
Hey gang,

So, I got bit by the ski bug really hard this year and decided to go all in. Bought an Ikon pass and finally went skiing this past Monday! Took a solo trip to Big Bear. It was my first time skiing in over 10 years and only my 7th time in the last 20 years. Felt pretty good, came together after two runs like riding a bike, but I know I have a lot to work on. Received a lot of looks on the mountain & some nice complements; however, my uncle said, I look like someone out of the 70s or 80s. He said all the tech has changed and to let the skis do the work and don't power move everything.

My Dad used to ski with skis glued together, so I've always liked that style. But it seems that may not be the norm or ideal way to ski these days? I will admit when I first put on my skis, they felt like boats at 96 waist...I don't think I've ever skied on anything above maybe 68 before.

All that said, what can I work on:
- Keep upper body strong. I wasn't sure what to do with my poles
- Drive with my knees more? I thought I was, but looking at the video maybe I was using my hips?
- Anything else?

This is also my first set of skis & boots that I've purchased. I really just bought all my gear online based off of reviews & whatever deals I could get Evo to price match. Never demo'd any of it. Just said LFG & went for it. Also, slim pickings here in LA and most stuff was already out of stock. Gear felt pretty good, but I didn't like my straps on the boots, maybe best to replace with booster straps?

Gear:
Elan Ripstick 96 (2023)
Atomic Hawx XTD Prime 120 (2021)
Tyrolia Protector PR 13 (2023)
Fast Stik Wax

Any tips & advice appreciated. I feel like I have the ability to be a pretty great skier, I'm just not totally sure of what I'm doing. I also bought Carv, so I can start using that next time I go. Thanks!

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
:popcorn:
Yes, things have changed! Some good things going for you and more discriminating eyes than mine will certainly weigh in for areas of change and improvement!

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just equipment-wise…

Booster straps are great! I don’t think you’ll regret getting a pair.

Also, don’t be afraid to get a narrower ski if funds allow and you’re feeling the 96s are a bit wide. 96 will be great with some fresh snow, but you might find you get along better with a mid-80s or lower ski in harder conditions. ~68 waist skis are still very much a thing, but they’re likely to be quite a bit different from anything you’ve skied 20+ years ago.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
My Dad used to ski with skis glued together, so I've always liked that style. But it seems that may not be the norm or ideal way to ski these days?

Seems like the general consensus on stance width go in and out of vogue every few years. I think at this juncture it just comes down to preference? Yours look a tad even narrower than the narrowest one in below video. Who knows it could be the next in vogue stance width?

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
You'll do ok. Watch how other good skiers are skiing especially freeriders and work on varying turn shape and speed, body separation and ski separation.

Your crazy banana turns are looking good but they simply aren't necessary with skis that will do far more and upper bodies that stay quieter.

TS
A

ActionStar

Booting up
Skier
Seems like the general consensus on stance width go in and out of vogue every few years. I think at this juncture it just comes down to preference? Yours look a tad even narrower than the narrowest one in below video. Who knows it could be the next in vogue stance width?

Ooh great vid, thanks!

TS
A

ActionStar

Booting up
Skier
Just equipment-wise…

Booster straps are great! I don’t think you’ll regret getting a pair.

Also, don’t be afraid to get a narrower ski if funds allow and you’re feeling the 96s are a bit wide. 96 will be great with some fresh snow, but you might find you get along better with a mid-80s or lower ski in harder conditions. ~68 waist skis are still very much a thing, but they’re likely to be quite a bit different from anything you’ve skied 20+ years ago.
Thanks, I think I will get the booster straps. Definitely looking at narrower skis now, especially with end of season big sales. Hoping to find a twin tip around 70-80 that carves, but that I can also play around with. I'd like to learn how to ski switch and moguls.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yeah - there's no longer the need to expend so much effort in getting the skis from one turn to the next. All that upper body up motion just not needed and will become a liability in, say, the moguls. The new skis almost turn by thinking.

On how far apart for the feet - the width of stance is less important than independent action of the legs. With feet together it's very difficult to develop that independent action as either one leg will tend to lazily rest against the other or both get used the same way.

Lessons would be a great investment.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
I wouldn't focus on stance width so much as results. And keep in mind there is a world of difference between legs locked vs legs close but independent.
Narrow 1.jpg

Here's the narrow stance from the above video. Look at the distance between the feet. That distance is because the feet are independent. The knees are close but not touching. Also, notice the entire ski is engaged, look at the spray coming from the very front of both skis. The length of the ski is engaged because he is pressuring near the center of the ski at the apex of the turn.

Narrow 2.jpg

Here's the narrow stance at transition. You can see how the legs are not quite touching.

My Dad used to ski with skis glued together, so I've always liked that style. But it seems that may not be the norm or ideal way to ski these days?
Skis glued used to be boots touching, knees touching. Thats going to be nearly impossible on a Ripstick 96 as the tip is quite wide. Stand on your skis with the tips and tails touching and see how far the sidecut keeps your feet apart. If you ski this narrow, your tips and tails will hook up, and not in a good way.

My comments would be

1) Your turns need less hop. Use the rebound and keep the upper body more still. Pass the legs under (don't want to start an over/under argument here) instead of rising up in a hop.
2) Your turns are very punchy. Feed in the pressure and ease off. Explore the range. Manage the pressure, as opposed to delivering quick pressure spikes.
3) You are a little aft of center. Look at the tip of the ski come off the ground as you turn to a stop.
4) You reach too far with the pole sometimes, which delivers a comma shape instead of keeping upright.

All of this is in the context of technical improvement - if you're having fun and turning the way you like on terrain you like, I'm not a fan of being critical for argument's sake. Ask for feedback on what you want to get better at, or what doesn't feel quite right. For instance, we could talk about varying turn radius, but you may not want to do that. Likewise on stance width. That said, I'm big on versatility. I don't like to be a one trick pony.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
You’re going to have to slow down for a bit if you want to make changes. You have the skills to do it.
Try doing slow round turns on easy terrain. It could lead you to some solutions, or questions at least. Especially trying to do parallel turns slowly on flattish terrain.

TS
A

ActionStar

Booting up
Skier
I wouldn't focus on stance width so much as results. And keep in mind there is a world of difference between legs locked vs legs close but independent. View attachment 198892

Here's the narrow stance from the above video. Look at the distance between the feet. That distance is because the feet are independent. The knees are close but not touching. Also, notice the entire ski is engaged, look at the spray coming from the very front of both skis. The length of the ski is engaged because he is pressuring near the center of the ski at the apex of the turn.

View attachment 198893
Extremely helpful & thanks for the screenshots, definitely helped out!.

Skis glued used to be boots touching, knees touching. Thats going to be nearly impossible on a Ripstick 96 as the tip is quite wide. Stand on your skis with the tips and tails touching and see how far the sidecut keeps your feet apart. If you ski this narrow, your tips and tails will hook up, and not in a good way.
So, I did run into problems with this. I actually had a small wipe out on my second run and I'm pretty sure it's because my skis crossed

3) You are a little aft of center. Look at the tip of the ski come off the ground as you turn to a stop.
4) You reach too far with the pole sometimes, which delivers a comma shape instead of keeping upright.
3. If it's at the very end, the lifting ski was me just playing around.
4. This seams pretty spot on. I was very confused what I was supposed to do with my poles the whole day. So I kept reaching out just thinking that was proper technique. I eventually started to let them drag and just used them for balance.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
OK, I have to weigh in...

Let the stance relax a bit, hip width is how your feet are positioned when you walk so no need to do anything different.

Tipping the feet/ankles is all you need to initiate a turn, you know how to do the rest.

No need for the up move in the transition, do some research on retraction turns and then use either one as needed. The up move still works (especially off piste) but is more or less superseded these days by the quicker and more fashionable retraction method.

You've got great upper/lower separation and you're not in the back seat. With that part still in your muscle memory it will be easy to progress.

Welcome back!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How long are your poles? They look...long.

James

Out There
Instructor
Most important- consider starting turns guiding the front of the ski entering into a curved path, instead of pushing the back of the ski out.
You could do this in a straight jacket, so don’t get too side tracked by poles.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
You did very well equipment wise considering how you got there. Good compromise ski between deep soft snow and on trail groomed or packed down snow.

You are also good at making that type of turn, don't worry about it being dated.
However, there are many different turns to master. Expand your horizon.
You might want to think about learning this turn.

Also your next ski should be a carving ski. :ogbiggrin:

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There's a lot to like in that skiing. Those moves will still be helpful to you in the right situations...but your objective should be to also develop an alternative pattern that harnesses the capabilities of modern skis.

It's what Fuller said: "Tipping the feet/ankles is all you need to initiate a turn.... No need for the up move in the transition."

You are starting turns with a pivot. And that does require an unweighting move. With modern skis, you can simply release the old outside ski to initiate a crossover or crossunder, start tipping the feet into the new turn to accentuate edging, and let the skis' interaction with the snow create the turn. No redirection at transition. Your starting point will be to practice foot tipping. Learn to do railroad track turns on a very gentle slope. And take it from there.

Sponsor