• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Did I fall out of a time machine? What am I doing?

TS
A

ActionStar

Booting up
Skier
You did very well equipment wise considering how you got there. Good compromise ski between deep soft snow and on trail groomed or packed down snow.

You are also good at making that type of turn, don't worry about it being dated.
However, there are many different turns to master. Expand your horizon.
You might want to think about learning this turn.

Also your next ski should be a carving ski. :ogbiggrin:
Great video, thanks! Any recs for a carving ski and waist width?

TS
A

ActionStar

Booting up
Skier
There's a lot to like in that skiing. Those moves will still be helpful to you in the right situations...but your objective should be to also develop an alternative pattern that harnesses the capabilities of modern skis.

It's what Fuller said: "Tipping the feet/ankles is all you need to initiate a turn.... No need for the up move in the transition."

You are starting turns with a pivot. And that does require an unweighting move. With modern skis, you can simply release the old outside ski to initiate a crossover or crossunder, start tipping the feet into the new turn to accentuate edging, and let the skis' interaction with the snow create the turn. No redirection at transition. Your starting point will be to practice foot tipping. Learn to do railroad track turns on a very gentle slope. And take it from there.
Thanks, that makes sense. I was pivoting the turns. And based on the video above your comment, it looks like I can save those pivots for dealing with very steep terrain.

Lots of alpha in all these comments! Thanks!

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
@ActionStar just since we are talking about all new technologies….. are you aware that Ripsticks are specific left and right skis?

I thought that would be obvious to anyone who owns a pair but I chatted to a guy on a chair about his Ripsticks and he was like ‘I don’t know… some days they are great, some are not.’ Turns out he did NOT know the skies where left/right specific.

Another bit: an old timer ski shop dude I know skis only the ripsticks 96. And he does some crazy terrain at Taos. And obviously he has access to all sorts of skis.

welcome back to skiing.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
It’s best to demo… or jump into deep emd and get FIS SL slalom skis from your favorite brand. I have used Atomic X7 for sale here but it may be too soft a ski for you. They did well for me when I came back to skiing January 2019 after six year pause. Upgraded this month to Atomic S9 FIS SL and had an absolute blast.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
I like this guy and the method that inspired this system. I started from scratch with this system after a long layoff and a restart in 2000 when straight skis were abandoned for parabolics:

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!

-OP quite frankly does appear to have stepped out of a time machine, but with that positive attitude there is no way he'll be stuck in the past for long!
@ActionStar you got this!!!

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....I was very confused what I was supposed to do with my poles the whole day. So I kept reaching out just thinking that was proper technique. I eventually started to let them drag and just used them for balance.
Great looking turns. Fun thread.

Yes, your pole usage is a bit off. Tap the pole on the snow at the very end of the old turn, not after the new turn starts, which is what you are doing now.

Tap, or touch, do not punch. Tap the pole next to your foot, not out front. No need to reach out front. Simply use wrists to swing the basket fore and aft.

Use the pole tap as a timing agent for turns like these. Those pole taps should work like drumbeats. The taps control the rhythm and tempo. Speed up your taps, and your turn tempo will speed up for higher energy turns. Slow them down, and your turns will become smooth flowing. The radius will change. Fun!

They may need shortening when you stop reaching.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Depends on your weight and the speed you like to ski.
If you are 180 lbs or more FIS SL.
If you are 160 lbs or less, one step down from FIS SL, e.g. Fischer WC SC.
I like full cambered skis, but other people like a bit of tip rocker in their SL skis.
However, if you like to ski faster than the average skier, you want a GS ski (same deal, FIS SL or one step down from that).
You could compromise and get a ski-cross (half-way between SL and GS)
Unless you have really fat feet, stick to under 70 mm wide.
The SL will be the quickest way to learn (more turns per mile).

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
These are kind of classic short turns. Albeit with too much arm and upper body movement to my taste. Nothing wrong with This type of skiing. To progress you need to get your skis more on edge and earlier on edge. Smaller waist skis help tremendously.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Gotta love this thread as full Skitalk turbo. Dude has had literally one day back at skiing and suddenly everyone's selling him on booster straps and FIS SLs. He'll probably end up with a full quiver of Peak by Bode skis by next week (until next year's fashion is revealed).

I'd say forget the equipment noise. concentrate on what skiing feels like and what you are doing with your feet, ankles, toes, knees and hips. You've got a bunch of turn shapes and transition methods and balance to work on before you worry about adding gear. So your ski may not be the optimum someone else would have chosen who cares : it's a good around ski for a youngish athletic skier and it's way better than the ski you weren't skiing last month.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Gotta love this thread as full Skitalk turbo
No one mentioned the boots purchased online? Come on, this is Ski Talk. The first comment has to be something like “go see a bootfitter” or “marry your boots, date your skis” or "your boots are probably two sizes too big." Its like I typed in the wrong web address or something.

In seriousness to OP, take a lesson. Really that’s the only advice you need right now (and maybe properly fitted boots and narrower skis, but those can wait). Yes, you look like an Action Star from a 70s or 80s ski movie. But you’re clearly athletic and coordinated. If you find a decent instructor and go into the lesson with an open mind, you’ll be up to speed with modern technique very quickly.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Dude has had literally one day back at skiing and suddenly everyone's selling him on…
Poles! :geek:
It’s a Rorschach test, a stick a quarter in the bed massager.
But Rip van Winkle has a lot of questions.

In the last 20 years things have really opened up in ski design and techniques.

Old conservative dudes were crushed when Fischer changed their all hot pink Ranger ski to a ranch house color last year.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Gotta love this thread as full Skitalk turbo. Dude has had literally one day back at skiing and suddenly everyone's selling him on booster straps and FIS SLs. He'll probably end up with a full quiver of Peak by Bode skis by next week (until next year's fashion is revealed).

Except it's not. And the proof is: NO ONE has commented on his wax choice yet.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I think he has a fun(ny), unique, and quirky skiing style and it'd be a shame if he morphs into just another tech skiing style skier.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think he has a fun unique quirky skiing style and it'd be a shame if he morphs into just another tech skiing style skier.
It's not quirky; it's just dated and doesn't use the capabilities of the ski. He could do those turns on a fifty year old ski.

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
It's not quirky; it's just dated and doesn't use the capabilities of the ski. He could do those turns on a fifty year old ski.
It's quirky that way though.

I've always wondered if carving can be done on straight skis.

Never have I thought if "straight skiing" can be done on carved skis. And this guy showed it can be done! And that's quirky.

Sponsor