• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Did I fall out of a time machine? What am I doing?

TS
A

ActionStar

Booting up
Skier
Alrighty, an update on things...well, unfortunately a week or two after my last post, I took a solo trip to Mammoth and sprained my MCL. I arrived near the end of day and wanted to get a few runs in and at the bottom of a run I got caught in some sticky snow, my ski got yanked backwards, and I had a slow speed, almost slow motion, fall. There went my Spring ski season and I haven't check this forum since, but I'm determined to get back into skiing, so here we are.

This week, I went skiing for the first time since last Spring, knee felt good, wore braces on both knees for shits, and recorded myself on the final run with a 360 camera. I'm holding an invisible selfie stick extended out 3ft in my right hand...right shoulder also torn rotator cuff, but it's ski season baby, we persist.

Felt pretty good overall. Definitely things to work on and I'd still like to take some lessons. I'd like to up my edge angle up to actually get the skis to carve vs. power moving everything. To be honest, I get skiing so fast and I'm skiing so tight, that even I'm surprised I'm able to hold it all together without having a massive yard sale.

Thoughts? Thanks for the tips & suggestions!

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Alrighty, an update on things...well, unfortunately a week or two after my last post, I took a solo trip to Mammoth and sprained my MCL. I arrived near the end of day and wanted to get a few runs in and at the bottom of a run I got caught in some sticky snow, my ski got yanked backwards, and I had a slow speed, almost slow motion, fall. There went my Spring ski season and I haven't check this forum since, but I'm determined to get back into skiing, so here we are.

This week, I went skiing for the first time since last Spring, knee felt good, wore braces on both knees for shits, and recorded myself on the final run with a 360 camera. I'm holding an invisible selfie stick extended out 3ft in my right hand...right shoulder also torn rotator cuff, but it's ski season baby, we persist.

Felt pretty good overall. Definitely things to work on and I'd still like to take some lessons. I'd like to up my edge angle up to actually get the skis to carve vs. power moving everything. To be honest, I get skiing so fast and I'm skiing so tight, that even I'm surprised I'm able to hold it all together without having a massive yard sale.

Thoughts? Thanks for the tips & suggestions!

View attachment 223964

Ouch for last spring! Good to read you are back.

Quick read is there's not a lot of independent leg action. Could be the camera angle but it looks like the inside leg rests against the other at apex. Some one legged drills like thumpers.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Camera interferes with right pole plants. Only using pole in left hand. Turns very asymmetrical as a result.

TS
A

ActionStar

Booting up
Skier
Ouch for last spring! Good to read you are back.

Quick read is there's not a lot of independent leg action. Could be the camera angle but it looks like the inside leg rests against the other at apex. Some one legged drills like thumpers.
Thanks found some good videos on thumpers, will give that a try next time. Someone also commented garland drills, then deleted their comment I guess, but that also seems like a great one to practice.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
You’re going to have to slow down for a bit if you want to make changes. You have the skills to do it.
Try doing slow round turns on easy terrain. It could lead you to some solutions, or questions at least. Especially trying to do parallel turns slowly on flattish terrain.
To OP, see above.

Sponsor

Staff online