• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah DeMoisy Express Lift at Snowbasin

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The drive to PowMow several times per week does not excite me. We have actually tossed around getting Beav passes.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To be honest, I don't have a bunch of experience on the Strawberry side because when I've been there visibility is not always ideal, and when visibility is good it's been during times when I'm ski testing and I don't have the luxury of time to get over there and back to the tents with skis in a timely manner.
Sounds like an occupational hazard ;) working too hard.

Take an extra day and I am happy show you guys the goods.

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The drive to PowMow several times per week does not excite me. We have actually tossed around getting Beav passes.
Beaver Mt has been getting much busier the past 5 or so years according some friends who ski up there regularly. Apparently a few wasatch front peeps have taken this path. Though it's all relative.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have never been at Snowbasin when there were significant lines at the main gondola but never at Strawberry when there was more than a gondola wait but I also haven't been there on the busiest days.
Same... I've only skied Strawberry one day, and the gondola line looked like this (granted, it was a Monday... and I believe that's you in the yellow/green flourescent jacket?):

Utah Gathering 031018 034 DC ACR Conv.jpg

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
PowMow is definitely an option. However, depending on what you are looking for the terrain isn't quite the same as the major Utah resorts.

My biggest beef is that the mega passes have taken over every single major Utah resort. I wish at least one of them would have been left off Ikon. I think the consolidation is ultimately a bad thing for consumers in and employees in the long run. Already many people on this forum who were excited about Ikon when it came out have now changed their tune, including i believe yourself in a partial way at least with regards to the desire of Mt Rose remaining independent.

Let's talk if Mt Rose ever goes megapass. @AmyPJ and I would be happy to discuss alternatives with you :)

Apologies in advance if the tone is a bit snappy. Taken the wrong way suggestions of PowMow and Sundance can sound a bit like let them eat cake. Although, yes, they are definitely a solution to the Ikon situation. And yes, bitching about Ikon does nothing at this point except venting.
I’m an Ikon Pass holder and I like the idea of skiing all over the place but am aware of the problems at the resorts and support more restrictions on them. I have no problem using the reservation process and think they should have reasonable capacity limits as to day use. There gotta to be other tweaks as well. In my own situation I will be using my Ikon unlimited access as a seasons pass at Winter Park 25 minutes from home but I don’t need unlimited to say Solitude where I ski every year 2 or 3 days at the most. Also while I appreciate free parking I also have no issue with any area charging for what might be one of the biggest problems in the sport today.

Side note. We are now 2 years out of the pandemic and we have noticed somewhat of a relaxation of some of the behaviors taking place at the lake this summer. (It’s been much less crazy). I could see some of that happening in skiing. It’s doubtful the snow could equal last year and I think some of these crowds may ease a bit

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
PowMow is definitely an option. However, depending on what you are looking for the terrain isn't quite the same as the major Utah resorts.

My biggest beef is that the mega passes have taken over every single major Utah resort. I wish at least one of them would have been left off Ikon. I think the consolidation is ultimately a bad thing for consumers in and employees in the long run. Already many people on this forum who were excited about Ikon when it came out have now changed their tune, including i believe yourself in a partial way at least with regards to the desire of Mt Rose remaining independent.

Let's talk if Mt Rose ever goes megapass. @AmyPJ and I would be happy to discuss alternatives with you :)

Apologies in advance if the tone is a bit snappy. Taken the wrong way suggestions of PowMow and Sundance can sound a bit like let them eat cake. Although, yes, they are definitely a solution to the Ikon situation. And yes, bitching about Ikon does nothing at this point except venting.
I would say that PowPow and Sundance are very much like Mt. Rose. We all like our independent resorts but many of us buy the Ikon or Epic as well. They are advantageous for traveling and no one wants to pay the walk up window prices.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I would say that PowPow and Sundance are very much like Mt. Rose. We all like our independent resorts but many of us buy the Ikon or Epic as well. They are advantageous for traveling and no one wants to pay the walk up window prices.
I also buy a megapass despite what I believe it is doing to the ski industry. As far as the insane walk up prices, I believe that is largely a function of the megapasses.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Same... I've only skied Strawberry one day, and the gondola line looked like this (granted, it was a Monday... and I believe that's you in the yellow/green flourescent jacket?):

View attachment 209304
Those trying to figure out the situation here have a serious dilemma. On one hand they have the reports of long time locals who ski here almost daily and have done so for many years. On the other, the contradictory experiences of people who have skied the same area once or twice and who live hundreds or thousands of miles away. One of these has a very compelling photo taken on a Monday half a decade ago. Hmmm - it’s hard to decide! :ogbiggrin:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Those trying to figure out the situation here have a serious dilemma. On one hand they have the reports of long time locals who ski here almost daily and have done so for many years. On the other, the contradictory experiences of people who have skied the same area once or twice and who live hundreds or thousands of miles away. One of these has a very compelling photo taken on a Monday half a decade ago. Hmmm - it’s hard to decide! :ogbiggrin:
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it's still like that... just relaying my experience, which I remember fondly. :) But it IS a compelling photo! Makes me want to ski (someplace uncrowded)! :D

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Beaver Mt has been getting much busier the past 5 or so years according some friends who ski up there regularly. Apparently a few wasatch front peeps have taken this path. Though it's all relative.
Yes, and they were not happy about it (my husband is very good friends with the shop manager there) so they raised their rates and IIRC left the Indy pass. It's NOT the way they want things to go there. I'm so grateful and wish more resorts were managed this way.

ETA that Strawberry line was year's gone by. I didn't have one walk on day this year, even during the week. I avoided it like the plague on busy days.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, and they were not happy about it (my husband is very good friends with the shop manager there) so they raised their rates and IIRC left the Indy pass. It's NOT the way they want things to go there. I'm so grateful and wish more resorts were managed this way.
I think Beaver is still on the Indy Pass, at least according to Beaver's website, and the Indy Pass website. Wishful thinking maybe?

I've gone to Beaver when visiting some of Shamora's family in Logan, and it's a great place to ski with family, or on one's own. I would think the available parking would limit how many people can ski or board there on any given day. That said, it's been such a laid back local's mountain that I can understand that any increase in ski traffic would change the experience for many.

To get back on topic, if the new DeMoisy lift helps with spreading out skier and boarders, I'm all for it. I would have no problem with making reservations with my Ikon pass, actually have to do that locally at Alpental/Snoqualmie Pass, so it's not's like it's really a huge burden, provided you can plan ahead when you're going to ski.

As far as paid parking, I don't like the idea, I'd rather see parking reservations.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
I had some walk-on experiences on Strawberry last season during the first week of March, midweek. It snowed nearly every night and some days during that trip. Our trick was to let the “yahoos” ski during the morning and then head over during the lunch hours. Strawberry is huge so we still found untracked snow. On weekdays, we saw a huge difference between mornings and afternoons. A lot of locals ski 9 to 11 and then leave, so the mountain the afternoon is a completely different world. If you know where to look, you can still find empty spaces to ski, especially last season with all the snow.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
On weekdays, we saw a huge difference between mornings and afternoons. A lot of locals ski 9 to 11 and then leave, so the mountain the afternoon is a completely different world.
^This is true during slow times. Generally I like to ski most of the day but the days I show up at 11, I almost always find front row parking. The days I do get to Strawberry it is rarely before noon. Still nothing like it was even a few years ago.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I, too, am fine with reservations for Ikon pass holders at partner resorts which are limited to 5 or 7 days. I am dead set against it at mountains where it’s basically the season pass option. Limit sales if you must, but a reservation system would send me elsewhere. I would not wish to purchase a season pass that I might have difficulty using without advance planning.

Sponsor

Staff online