• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah DeMoisy Express Lift at Snowbasin

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
@4ster

Next season is going to be very interesting. I imagine more Ikon holders will be hitting up Basin because the majority are now requiring reservations and Cottonwoods bus service is also still going to be limited. The new lift will also be an incremental attraction. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm prepared for powder days at the Bird and Basin to be absolute mayhem.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@4ster

Next season is going to be very interesting. I imagine more Ikon holders will be hitting up Basin because the majority are now requiring reservations and Cottonwoods bus service is also still going to be limited. The new lift will also be an incremental attraction. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm prepared for powder days at the Bird and Basin to be absolute mayhem.
Let's hope it's just an avg year where the golf courses stay open more and fewer tourist flock in.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Let's hope it's just an avg year where the golf courses stay open more and fewer tourist flock in.
Judging by the summer traffic I'm prepared that it will still be busy well beyond history regardless of snow conditions. I hope I'm wrong.

As @4ster said we will make the best of it either way. Just gotta plan as best as we can for it but we will no doubt figure out a way to navigate things that still works for us.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Demoisy lift will provide better access and utilization of the Strawberry terrain pod. It will allow the pod to be open more often on windy and low visibility days. It will facilitate earlier completion of Strawberry avy mitigation on windy days. It also helps solve our problem of guests skiing down to the bottom of Strawberry when the gondola is clearly closed. Some of them expect us to "rescue" them when they disregard the "Closed" signs and ski to the bottom.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Hey, us LCC folks had to run somewhere with all the closures! :ogbiggrin:

Hopefully Basin does some work on that Wildcat lot . haven't seen potholes that big since i lived in Chicago.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I always felt there was a bit of a disconnect between the strawberry side and the John Paul side. Anyone else find that? Just seemed weird the way you navigate between the two.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have avoided Strawberry most weekend days the past 3 years due to excessive lift lines.
I have never been at Snowbasin when there were significant lines at the main gondola but never at Strawberry when there was more than a gondola wait but I also haven't been there on the busiest days.

One thing I do like about Snowbasin is that you can use the secondary lifts and avoid most of the crowds on busier days.

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have never been at Snowbasin when there were significant lines at the main gondola but never at Strawberry when there was more than a gondola wait but I also haven't been there on the busiest days.

One thing I do like about Snowbasin is that you can use the secondary lifts and avoid most of the crowds on busier days.
The main gondie has been getting better in terms of lines since the new 6 packs were installed in middle bowl and wild cat. Avg being about 10 min on weekends.

On an avg weekend day the past 2 seasons strawberry is longer than needles in terms of wait time with 20 min being avg and worst case being up to 45 min. Usually if I see a long line, I just return to the front side.

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Like 2 different ski areas! :)
From the top of Allen peak tram to Strawberry is ~3 mi along the ridgeline. That's further than from the top of crest express at Brighton to Supreme at Alta and further than from great western at Brighton to Jupiter lift in pcmr. So yes, could be two different resorts. :)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure why I should care about your opinion:huh: You have only skied there for probably 30+ years:ogbiggrin: Oh, and you guided us on a tour of the mountain on a fabulous powder day!
I would love to get back there and have no problem making an Ikon reservation. Perhaps if Ikon pass holders needed a reservation it would diminish the redirection from the canyons when they are closed.
I think there should be ample parking or a parking plan for all who are going there.
Bolded above is THE solution.

The new chair is overdue, but I'm really concerned that the middle of the mountain is only going to get even crazier than it has been since the installation of the Middle Bowl Express. That's a lot of highs-speed, high-capacity lifts dropping in a fairly close area. I hope they re-route the Strawberry traverse somehow because where it popped out onto the Strawberry side has gotten hair raisingly scary this past year. Throw in the new 6 pack unloading just above that and :geek:

The new lift installation has taken out some of my favorite biking terrain up there this summer, too.

This is honestly the first season in 10 seasons now that I'm not that excited for ski season. The crowds have really, really spoiled it for me. The whole vibe has changed and not for the better.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
sounds like Gweneth better stay out of that area unless she wants to hear more "strange grunting noises"

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Demoisy lift will provide better access and utilization of the Strawberry terrain pod. It will allow the pod to be open more often on windy and low visibility days. It will facilitate earlier completion of Strawberry avy mitigation on windy days. It also helps solve our problem of guests skiing down to the bottom of Strawberry when the gondola is clearly closed. Some of them expect us to "rescue" them when they disregard the "Closed" signs and ski to the bottom.
To be honest, I don't have a bunch of experience on the Strawberry side because when I've been there visibility is not always ideal, and when visibility is good it's been during times when I'm ski testing and I don't have the luxury of time to get over there and back to the tents with skis in a timely manner.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Powder Mountain?
PowMow is definitely an option. However, depending on what you are looking for the terrain isn't quite the same as the major Utah resorts.

My biggest beef is that the mega passes have taken over every single major Utah resort. I wish at least one of them would have been left off Ikon. I think the consolidation is ultimately a bad thing for consumers in and employees in the long run. Already many people on this forum who were excited about Ikon when it came out have now changed their tune, including i believe yourself in a partial way at least with regards to the desire of Mt Rose remaining independent.

Let's talk if Mt Rose ever goes megapass. @AmyPJ and I would be happy to discuss alternatives with you :)

Apologies in advance if the tone is a bit snappy. Taken the wrong way suggestions of PowMow and Sundance can sound a bit like let them eat cake. Although, yes, they are definitely a solution to the Ikon situation. And yes, bitching about Ikon does nothing at this point except venting.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Let's talk if Mt Rose ever goes megapass.
So far Rose is adiment that they will not join a major pass. I know Indy was just turned away.

Keeping to the Utah discussion, Sundance also wants to stay solo.

Sponsor

Staff online